Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 20 major works question

Hi
    I own a top floor Victorian flat and freeholder is a well known housing association who own the flat downstairs and rent out. So quite a small terrace property.
    I have a section 20 notice sent to me including roof replacement and a host of other things including replacement of my windows very odd as all were replaced with downstairs flat and a couple of mine only a few years back just before I purchased it and was charged out, the seller dodged paying so I had a nice surprise.. They should of done my windows when they did the downstairs flat mine are double glazed apart from two so don’t see the point to change them all only single pain windows fine.

I had a couple of questions if anyone with experience could advise

-Will the Costs of the works be 50/50 between me and freeholder as they own downstairs flat?

- they have proposed a roof change due to age etc , roof doesn’t leak looks fine and never been a issue. Is there a need to replace something not broken ?

- certainly for five-seven years there has been no work done to front of property at all I would think even years before this. It’s only as of recent they shown any interest. Could I query this as they left it to fall into a average to poor state and now I have to pick up part of the tab.

- can I get a independent quote when they send the estimates ? Presumably they will be using there preferred contractors

any advice appreciated

many thanks

The costs should be allocated in the proportion set out in your lease.
    You are entitled to object to any work which is unnecessary.
    You are also entitled to object if part of the cost is higher due to neglect but you may have difficulty in proving the actual additional cost.
    There is nothing to stop you from obtaining another quote but it needs to be on a like for like basis, so you would need a copy of the job specification.

Comment

Thank you eagle2

my lease states “tenants proportion of building expenditure” one half. This allows some positives I suspect that they will need to keep a eye on costs if they are covering half ?

I believe as they are due half this to be the reason the local authority has allowed the property to get into the tired looking outside state it has got to.

Comment

You are right to be wary, they can seek to charge you more than your fair share by using their own contractors so you should check their credentials carefully and you are right to seek another quote which will give you an indication whether or not the cost is reasonable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Understanding a lease
          by Lawcruncher
          [QUOTE=Macromia;n1151621]There is also the possibility that, if the roof space is not demised to the upper flat but the only access is via the flat, you may effectively have rights to the area even if it is not clearly demised to you in the lease.
          I think this relies on the lease also not clearly...
          11-04-2021, 14:52 PM
        • Understanding a lease
          by Pattyb
          Can anyone tell me what this means and how much ground rent is to be paid and when ?

TIA

To hold the demised premises unto the Lease from the nineteenth day of December One thousand nine hundred and fifty-four for the term of nine hundred and ninety-nine years yielding and...
          10-04-2021, 21:29 PM
        • Negotiating new leases
          by Cornflower
          Hi, can anyone advise, please?. I am joint freeholder with one other flat, with less than 60 years remaining on our respective leases. As neighbours we do not get on, mainly caused by the fact that the lease states that we have a shared garden. When I moved in years ago, the garden was divided into...
          11-04-2021, 11:22 AM
        • Reply to Negotiating new leases
          by Lawcruncher
          I am not sure mediation is what is needed here as there does not seem to be a dispute as such.

It is in the interest of both parties to do a deal if they want more freedom to extend and to increase the saleability of their flats.

You need to go into detail to avoid future problems...
          11-04-2021, 14:47 PM
        • Reply to Negotiating new leases
          by flyingfreehold
          see if you can get your co-freeholder to get round a table or on zoom with a skilled mediator. Many experienced lawyers become mediators. Its a better bet than litigation in so far as the parties can usually iron things out with a mediator's help.
          11-04-2021, 13:44 PM
        • Reply to RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing
          by fos333
          Thank you for the reply.

However, very difficult to do when the MA refuses to correspond with you or return calls when messages have been left concerning the arrears.

Even worse when acting as a "professional managing agent" terminates the agreement due to differences...
          11-04-2021, 11:49 AM
        • RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing
          by KAH
          I am a RTM Director with two other Directors. We have appointed a external management company to help us run the management of our properties. Three property owners have substansial historical arrears ( one of which is a current Director of the RTM company).

Our managing agent has asked...
          06-04-2021, 17:07 PM
        • Major Works and Consultation "Section 20" A Warning
          by leaseholdanswers
          A recent decision has made a huge change in the interpretation of the law in Phillips & Ors V Francis

Since 1985, service charge expenditure has been subject to control

1 Fair and Reasonable in all respects in what is being done, how, when and it's procurement and delivery....
          28-01-2013, 15:10 PM
        • Reply to Major Works and Consultation "Section 20" A Warning
          by ram
          Please start a New topic. There is already one on here about your same problem.-in fact seems identical.
          irespective that its probably S20 related, it is a maintenence FH problem you have.
          11-04-2021, 10:17 AM
        • Reply to Major Works and Consultation "Section 20" A Warning
          by Chitty
          Service charge no consultation for major work
          I am piggy backing to this thread . Grateful for some thoughts and advise.
          My Freeholder(FH) wants me to pay for their engineer’s report on cause of damage to a balcony roof over my ceiling of my Ground floor flat. Also FH’s surveyor fees...
          11-04-2021, 09:50 AM
        Working...
        X