Small claim online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can still get a money judgement but can’t issue a Section 146 Notice unless it is over £350 or three years old

the lessee who rents it out presumably once a year when compiling his tax return must wonder what ground rent and service charge expense he may claim - so any idea on the lessee’s part that there is nothing to pay would be profoundly naive on the lessees behalf - he must know monies are due and is burying his head in the sand

your actions will probably bring to the attention of the mortgagees that the property is let and if the mortgage product is not designed for sub letting may have the consequence of the interest rate being adjusted upwards

Comment

You are playing games, if you have an address at which the leaseholder is expected to receive documents, you should send correspondence to that address.
      I have seen too many of these stances over the years and “I am right, I am not going to budge and I am going to teach him a lesson” does not work. It often leads to all out war and neither party will “win”, all you will do is waste time, energy and money.
      I am not condoning the leaseholder’s behaviour but you should try to sit down and talk to each other and if you are incapable of doing that, you should ask an independent person to conduct a meeting.

Comment

eagle2 , yes, I know it'll cost us monies and time and effort.

The LL is aware of the repairs, but once the request for payment was made he seemingly vanished.

We do know where he lives - all his paperwork from mortgage company etc comes to the property. It is his address according to LR.

So, the address where he expects to pick up paperwork is the one the claim was raised.

If he chooses not to pick up his post, answer the phone, return text message, not to provide his correspondence address - it is his choice.

I don't think it is my responsibility ir my fellow FFS to bring it to an adult's attention that the actions has consequences.

The options to talk are exhausted - nothing was done, nothing has ever changed - only when there was a legal action or council enforcement - that is when the action was taken.

the problem is LL and it won't change unless there is a threat that he would lose his investment.

Comment

@sglacy - thank you.

There seems to be a caveat about default judgement - it seems that there should be a hearing not a default judgement.

Do you have an experience what is going to faster ro get the hearing in the small claims court or the tribunal as there is a number of the issues where the lease is breached.

Comment

I am very surprised you are under £350, my admin & court fees would have reached that figure alone ! But I would still send the judgement to Northern Rock and just say you are now in contemplation of forfeiture proceedings and as @sglacy says , make sure they are aware that you think the flat may be sublet.

Comment

Section20z, we cannot get the management company as the lease doesn't provide for one so the costs involved are at the moment 1/3 of invoice and small claims fee.

I would be more than happy to claim for hours spent chasing builders, checking the works are done as advised, time writing letters to LLs and finally the application to small claims court.

As well as dealing with LLs tenants.

Re Nothern Rock, we sent a letter saying the property is sublet and they seemingly sent a letter to the leaseholder but nothing came back to us so far.
              Just in my opinion - when we were renting never ever the was any post to the landlord. Quite odd..

So, once I have a default judgement - we will send another letter this time saying that we feel the only option left for us to pursue is section 146s but it would take another couple of months if not longer

Comment

You will not succeed with forfeiture, in the meantime you will be prevented from raising invoices, if it takes 18 months or more, you will be unable to recover some of the monies at all. The infighting is pointless but you will make the legal teams very happy.

Comment

eagle2 , I appreciate that I would not succeed with forfeiture ultimately, if the LL starts paying for maintenance I'll be happy too and if he is made to sell the property - would be amazing.

we are not prevented from anything - the leaseholder does not intend to pay unless he is forced too.

Don't make an assumption about the legal teams - we are doing it DIY, while obviously we benefit from legal representation, we are not getting lawyers involved unless it is absolutely necessary.

You seem to think that you live in the imaginary world where people act as they should. No they are not and the system is far from perfect.
                  However, that the course we discussed and agreed to follow.
                  It took a long time to get here and costs are very high, but still lower than the losses we would incur if the property remains as it is.

Comment

I can assure you that I live in the real World and I have seen how these disputes can escalate. The sooner you bring an end to it the better for all leaseholders.

Comment

If the land registry records give the address for the lessee as the property, then that is where it must be sent

When you purchase a property on the form AP1 you have to state the address for service. If that is the address he decides to put then you have discharged your responsibilty by serving it at that address. Its not for you to go round peering into facebook or whatever to try and find him.

The lessee is fortunate that the block is being managed with no mangement charges, where the other lessees are acting to try and contain costs and whilst he is not obligated to reciprocate it undermines the work of those who are doing it for no charge to refuse to pay. Made even worse by the fact the sums involved are modest .

He may well think the structure is weak and he can take advantage of it and as you would do with a small child you need to set boundaries otherwise it will only get worse

Comment

The Land Registry information is often incorrect, if you know the address of the leaseholder, you should use it. We do not know the leaseholder's views and we cannot assume that he does not intend to pay anything or that he is acting as a child or that he needs to be taught a lesson. Trying to force him to sell his property is not a valid reason for legal action.

Comment

eagle2 , I appreciate your view.

​​​​​​There is a lease which governs duties and responsibilities of LlS and Ffs and so far there is a number of breaches which has been done over the period of years and continuing.

Whatever the LlS view - he has to insure the property, pay for maintenance when required and keep the property in good repair - all of these clauses are in breach.

About the address, I would happily do it, however this address was not communicated to us officially so all the paperwork goes to last known address known to us and our solicitor.

I'm really pleased to hear that you are happy to pay for other people, we are not.

Comment

You are not considering any point of view other than your own and you are not reading the comments, no-one stated that they are happy to pay for other people.

I would simply like to understand the leaseholder's position and you should do the same. You may be right, but on the other hand he may have valid grounds for withholding payments and you should not make assumptions. You have a duty to avoid legal action if possible and there is no excuse for failing to make contact when you know the leaseholder's address.

You are clearly inexperienced and I am trying to assist you in order to avoid what could be expensive mistakes, I did not have the benefit of a forum such as this when I started out and I have learnt the hard way by making many mistakes along the way. I wish you luck.

Comment

eagle2 , could you please provide your slum landlord(leaseholder) management technique?

Comment

When I was a director of a RMC, we had zero service charge arrears for the only time in our history. It was achieved by persuasion and agreement.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Understanding a lease
                                  by Pattyb
                                  Can anyone tell me what this means and how much ground rent is to be paid and when ?

TIA

To hold the demised premises unto the Lease from the nineteenth day of December One thousand nine hundred and fifty-four for the term of nine hundred and ninety-nine years yielding and...
                                  10-04-2021, 21:29 PM
                                • Reply to Understanding a lease
                                  by Lawcruncher
                                  [QUOTE=Macromia;n1151621]There is also the possibility that, if the roof space is not demised to the upper flat but the only access is via the flat, you may effectively have rights to the area even if it is not clearly demised to you in the lease.
                                  I think this relies on the lease also not clearly...
                                  11-04-2021, 14:52 PM
                                • Reply to Negotiating new leases
                                  by Lawcruncher
                                  I am not sure mediation is what is needed here as there does not seem to be a dispute as such.

It is in the interest of both parties to do a deal if they want more freedom to extend and to increase the saleability of their flats.

You need to go into detail to avoid future problems...
                                  11-04-2021, 14:47 PM
                                • Negotiating new leases
                                  by Cornflower
                                  Hi, can anyone advise, please?. I am joint freeholder with one other flat, with less than 60 years remaining on our respective leases. As neighbours we do not get on, mainly caused by the fact that the lease states that we have a shared garden. When I moved in years ago, the garden was divided into...
                                  11-04-2021, 11:22 AM
                                • Reply to Negotiating new leases
                                  by flyingfreehold
                                  see if you can get your co-freeholder to get round a table or on zoom with a skilled mediator. Many experienced lawyers become mediators. Its a better bet than litigation in so far as the parties can usually iron things out with a mediator's help.
                                  11-04-2021, 13:44 PM
                                • Reply to RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing
                                  by fos333
                                  Thank you for the reply.

However, very difficult to do when the MA refuses to correspond with you or return calls when messages have been left concerning the arrears.

Even worse when acting as a "professional managing agent" terminates the agreement due to differences...
                                  11-04-2021, 11:49 AM
                                • RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing
                                  by KAH
                                  I am a RTM Director with two other Directors. We have appointed a external management company to help us run the management of our properties. Three property owners have substansial historical arrears ( one of which is a current Director of the RTM company).

Our managing agent has asked...
                                  06-04-2021, 17:07 PM
                                • Major Works and Consultation "Section 20" A Warning
                                  by leaseholdanswers
                                  A recent decision has made a huge change in the interpretation of the law in Phillips & Ors V Francis

Since 1985, service charge expenditure has been subject to control

1 Fair and Reasonable in all respects in what is being done, how, when and it's procurement and delivery....
                                  28-01-2013, 15:10 PM
                                • Reply to Major Works and Consultation "Section 20" A Warning
                                  by ram
                                  Please start a New topic. There is already one on here about your same problem.-in fact seems identical.
                                  irespective that its probably S20 related, it is a maintenence FH problem you have.
                                  11-04-2021, 10:17 AM
                                • Reply to Major Works and Consultation "Section 20" A Warning
                                  by Chitty
                                  Service charge no consultation for major work
                                  I am piggy backing to this thread . Grateful for some thoughts and advise.
                                  My Freeholder(FH) wants me to pay for their engineer’s report on cause of damage to a balcony roof over my ceiling of my Ground floor flat. Also FH’s surveyor fees...
                                  11-04-2021, 09:50 AM
                                Working...
                                X