Small claim online

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Small claim online

    I have finally submitted the claim online and it is now nearing 14 days since the claim paperwork was delivered and the leaseholder doesn't pick up the post.

    Please note the leaseholder doesn't live in the address and didn't provide FHs or our solicitor with his current address.

    So my question is what is next for me?

    Just wait for the court to notify me that no reply received and file for default payments and then send paperwork to leaseholder mortgage company?

    it is northern rock and they did not reply to my previous letters re insurance not valid.


    You should apply for judgement in default.

    Then contact Northern Rock asking if they will settle on the borrowers' behalf, if they decline (very unlikely) then have a solicitor issue proceedings for possession and or issue a Section 146 Notice - that for certain will make Northern Rock pay up


      The mortgagee would require a copy of the court order and would ask the leaseholder if there is any reason not to pay. That may be the first time that the leaseholder becomes aware of the legal action and an application could be made to strike out the court order.


        sgclacy , could I do it? It is for property maintenance, not ground rent - I'm under impression I should 1st apply to section 168? Or did I get it wrong?


          eagle2 , I have a bundle of post not picked up for the last 6 months or more.
          so don't think the mortgage company will get a reply from the leaseholder.

          And if they do - well he would need to provide his current address.


            can't you track him down on social media?


              Originally posted by Anna1985 View Post
              sgclacy , could I do it? It is for property maintenance, not ground rent - I'm under impression I should 1st apply to section 168? Or did I get it wrong?
              Easy enough, just log in online and apply for default judgement once response time has elapsed. After another few days they will issue judgement, you just send it on to Northern Rock.
              Personally I would issue s146 alongside (plenty of sample forms online) and charge another £150 to cover the hassle.
              Northern Rock will pay within 7 days once you have court ruling.


                You can use a tracing agent if you wish to make contact with the leaseholder. Issuing forfeiture proceedings will only damage the relationship.


                  eagle2 , there is no relationship to damage - the LL doesn't want to do any maintenance as he doesn't live in the property.
                  both FFS live in the property. We want property to be maintained well.

                  So there is a problem and it would be only be resolved when LLS will get an understanding that he needs to pay his fair share and starts acting as a LL.

                  We do know where LLs lives but he didn't provide his actual address neither to us nor solicitor so according to LR he is living at the address.



                    Section20z , I'm under impression that I need a breach to be confirmed by court ie application for section 168.

                    Once I have it then, section 146 notice


                      What is the point of playing games, if you know his address, just send correspondence to him. You should be trying to bridge the differences, instead you are fuelling the fire which will only cause further problems in future.



                        My understanding is that a court judgement is acceptable prerequisite for s146 and I have used this many times. It's not your job to trace someone who is avoiding their obligations, he can contact you if he wants to build a relationship.


                          Section20z , thank you, I will check if that is sufficient.


                            eagle2 - what games do I play?
                            Do I hide my address or other FF's one - nope.
                            Do we ask monies for something that is not in the lease - nope.
                            we just want our house to be safe and well maintained.
                            Why do you think we are playing games?
                            ​​​​​​why you don't think so about the person who simply refuse to have any repairs or basic maintenance carried out?


                              Section20z , yes you are right, a small claim determination is sufficient.

                              Unfortunately we would need to wait until we claim next payment for repairs, as the current one is under £350.


                              Latest Activity


                              • Reply to Understanding a lease
                                by Pattyb
                                I don't own the place yet, a friend of mine lives there but wants to sell and move into her partner's house. There are 2 flats and the free holder is a relative off the neighbors down stairs. She isn't paying any ground rent she's never been asked for any maybe that's because someone above said it's...
                                11-04-2021, 08:02 AM
                              • Understanding a lease
                                by Pattyb
                                Can anyone tell me what this means and how much ground rent is to be paid and when ?


                                To hold the demised premises unto the Lease from the nineteenth day of December One thousand nine hundred and fifty-four for the term of nine hundred and ninety-nine years yielding and...
                                10-04-2021, 21:29 PM
                              • Berkeley / Woolwich aresenal development
                                by sbag79
                                Dear all

                                I am looking to buy my second BTL property in Woolwich Arsenal area (London). It’s a flat originally built by Berkeley back in 2002. There’s a lease of approx 112 yrs left, service charge is around 1900£ and ground rent is about 150£. They have EWS certificate as well for...
                                11-04-2021, 07:26 AM
                              • RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing
                                by KAH
                                I am a RTM Director with two other Directors. We have appointed a external management company to help us run the management of our properties. Three property owners have substansial historical arrears ( one of which is a current Director of the RTM company).

                                Our managing agent has asked...
                                06-04-2021, 17:07 PM
                              • Reply to RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing
                                by Gordon999
                                If a MA was appointed to run the service charge account and collect service charge contributions , the directors can instruct the MA to use the small claims court to recover arrears in service charge payments.
                                11-04-2021, 06:14 AM
                              • Lease holder/management company deliberately blocking sale of flat
                                by stevied
                                I have owned a flat for more than 10 years, the property lease has been sold twice during this time. I put my flat onto the market at the beginning of the year and after a few months I got a buyer. I asked for all the packs etc and found that the management company were deliberately taking their time...
                                29-10-2019, 21:38 PM
                              • Reply to Lease holder/management company deliberately blocking sale of flat
                                by Gordon999
                                It may be better to involve your local MP and get the MP to make a written complaint to CMA and to Housing Minister .

                                They cannot help you until you raise up your problem to them.
                                11-04-2021, 05:59 AM
                              • Reply to Understanding a lease
                                by Gordon999
                                Under the leasehold property system ( existing in E & W ) , the legal owner of the property belongs to the freeholder and the leaseholders are just tenants under a long term rental agreement.

                                How many flats in your building and are the flats paying very low ground rents ?
                                11-04-2021, 05:49 AM
                              • Reply to Understanding a lease
                                by Pattyb
                                That was a quick response, ta !

                                Why are leases so hard to understand ?

                                I want to eventually build a room in the loft but again I don't understand the lease.

                                Can the freeholder refuse to consent to a loft room without any explanation because the lease says nothing...
                                10-04-2021, 22:15 PM
                              • Structural Alteration/Consent
                                by ZRG90
                                Hi all,

                                Just moved into a property which is a converted house into 3 flats on a long lease, with each flat member owning a share of the freehold (we sit on public management company)

                                My lease states I’m: “Not to make any structural alteration or structural addition to the...
                                10-04-2021, 03:03 AM