Small claim online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small claim online

I have finally submitted the claim online and it is now nearing 14 days since the claim paperwork was delivered and the leaseholder doesn't pick up the post.

Please note the leaseholder doesn't live in the address and didn't provide FHs or our solicitor with his current address.

So my question is what is next for me?

Just wait for the court to notify me that no reply received and file for default payments and then send paperwork to leaseholder mortgage company?

it is northern rock and they did not reply to my previous letters re insurance not valid.

​​​​​​

You should apply for judgement in default.

Then contact Northern Rock asking if they will settle on the borrowers' behalf, if they decline (very unlikely) then have a solicitor issue proceedings for possession and or issue a Section 146 Notice - that for certain will make Northern Rock pay up

Comment

The mortgagee would require a copy of the court order and would ask the leaseholder if there is any reason not to pay. That may be the first time that the leaseholder becomes aware of the legal action and an application could be made to strike out the court order.

Comment

sgclacy , could I do it? It is for property maintenance, not ground rent - I'm under impression I should 1st apply to section 168? Or did I get it wrong?

Comment

eagle2 , I have a bundle of post not picked up for the last 6 months or more.
          so don't think the mortgage company will get a reply from the leaseholder.

And if they do - well he would need to provide his current address.

Comment

can't you track him down on social media?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna1985 View Post
              sgclacy , could I do it? It is for property maintenance, not ground rent - I'm under impression I should 1st apply to section 168? Or did I get it wrong?
              Easy enough, just log in online and apply for default judgement once response time has elapsed. After another few days they will issue judgement, you just send it on to Northern Rock.
              Personally I would issue s146 alongside (plenty of sample forms online) and charge another £150 to cover the hassle.
              Northern Rock will pay within 7 days once you have court ruling.

Comment

You can use a tracing agent if you wish to make contact with the leaseholder. Issuing forfeiture proceedings will only damage the relationship.

Comment

eagle2 , there is no relationship to damage - the LL doesn't want to do any maintenance as he doesn't live in the property.
                  both FFS live in the property. We want property to be maintained well.

So there is a problem and it would be only be resolved when LLS will get an understanding that he needs to pay his fair share and starts acting as a LL.

We do know where LLs lives but he didn't provide his actual address neither to us nor solicitor so according to LR he is living at the address.

​​​​​

Comment

Section20z , I'm under impression that I need a breach to be confirmed by court ie application for section 168.

Once I have it then, section 146 notice

Comment

What is the point of playing games, if you know his address, just send correspondence to him. You should be trying to bridge the differences, instead you are fuelling the fire which will only cause further problems in future.

Comment

Anna1985,

My understanding is that a court judgement is acceptable prerequisite for s146 and I have used this many times. It's not your job to trace someone who is avoiding their obligations, he can contact you if he wants to build a relationship.

Comment

Section20z , thank you, I will check if that is sufficient.
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

eagle2 - what games do I play?
                            Do I hide my address or other FF's one - nope.
                            Do we ask monies for something that is not in the lease - nope.
                            we just want our house to be safe and well maintained.
                            Why do you think we are playing games?
                            ​​​​​​
                            ​​​​​​why you don't think so about the person who simply refuse to have any repairs or basic maintenance carried out?
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Section20z , yes you are right, a small claim determination is sufficient.

Unfortunately we would need to wait until we claim next payment for repairs, as the current one is under £350.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Understanding a lease
                                by Pattyb
                                Can anyone tell me what this means and how much ground rent is to be paid and when ?

TIA

To hold the demised premises unto the Lease from the nineteenth day of December One thousand nine hundred and fifty-four for the term of nine hundred and ninety-nine years yielding and...
                                10-04-2021, 21:29 PM
                              • Reply to Understanding a lease
                                by Lawcruncher
                                [QUOTE=Macromia;n1151621]There is also the possibility that, if the roof space is not demised to the upper flat but the only access is via the flat, you may effectively have rights to the area even if it is not clearly demised to you in the lease.
                                I think this relies on the lease also not clearly...
                                11-04-2021, 14:52 PM
                              • Negotiating new leases
                                by Cornflower
                                Hi, can anyone advise, please?. I am joint freeholder with one other flat, with less than 60 years remaining on our respective leases. As neighbours we do not get on, mainly caused by the fact that the lease states that we have a shared garden. When I moved in years ago, the garden was divided into...
                                11-04-2021, 11:22 AM
                              • Reply to Negotiating new leases
                                by Lawcruncher
                                I am not sure mediation is what is needed here as there does not seem to be a dispute as such.

It is in the interest of both parties to do a deal if they want more freedom to extend and to increase the saleability of their flats.

You need to go into detail to avoid future problems...
                                11-04-2021, 14:47 PM
                              • Reply to Negotiating new leases
                                by flyingfreehold
                                see if you can get your co-freeholder to get round a table or on zoom with a skilled mediator. Many experienced lawyers become mediators. Its a better bet than litigation in so far as the parties can usually iron things out with a mediator's help.
                                11-04-2021, 13:44 PM
                              • Reply to RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing
                                by fos333
                                Thank you for the reply.

However, very difficult to do when the MA refuses to correspond with you or return calls when messages have been left concerning the arrears.

Even worse when acting as a "professional managing agent" terminates the agreement due to differences...
                                11-04-2021, 11:49 AM
                              • RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing
                                by KAH
                                I am a RTM Director with two other Directors. We have appointed a external management company to help us run the management of our properties. Three property owners have substansial historical arrears ( one of which is a current Director of the RTM company).

Our managing agent has asked...
                                06-04-2021, 17:07 PM
                              • Reply to Major Works and Consultation "Section 20" A Warning
                                by ram
                                Please start a New topic. There is already one on here about your same problem.-in fact seems identical.
                                irespective that its probably S20 related, it is a maintenence FH problem you have.
                                11-04-2021, 10:17 AM
                              • Major Works and Consultation "Section 20" A Warning
                                by leaseholdanswers
                                A recent decision has made a huge change in the interpretation of the law in Phillips & Ors V Francis

Since 1985, service charge expenditure has been subject to control

1 Fair and Reasonable in all respects in what is being done, how, when and it's procurement and delivery....
                                28-01-2013, 15:10 PM
                              • Reply to Major Works and Consultation "Section 20" A Warning
                                by Chitty
                                Service charge no consultation for major work
                                I am piggy backing to this thread . Grateful for some thoughts and advise.
                                My Freeholder(FH) wants me to pay for their engineer’s report on cause of damage to a balcony roof over my ceiling of my Ground floor flat. Also FH’s surveyor fees...
                                11-04-2021, 09:50 AM
                              Working...
                              X