Management of client account closure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management of client account closure

I suppose this belongs in this forum but is more general.

Let's suppose a managing agent for a RTM holds client accounts a) service charge b) reserve fund. They are held in trust but the account manager is the agent.

Manager's contract comes to an end and is not renewed. Can someone enlighten me as to what the usual procedure would be and if there is any legislation or RICS guidance or anything at all that would say what a trust account actually means.

In this case the manager
    a) Failed to produce any closing statements or report
    b) Emptied both accounts into his own accounts and closed them

I would have thought the appropriate procedure is to keep the accounts open until the client is satisfied and ledgers are produced - and only then should they be closed.

Any pointers to anything useful would be appreciated (and what exactly is the point of holding an account in Trust if this is allowed?).
    This is going to be part of an FTT application because the manager reported to the FTT (the police are involved).

See page 26 in RICS Management Code : Section 7.6 :

https://www.rics.org/globalassets/ri...ition-rics.pdf

The "unspent service charge money" belongs to the leaseholders and should be handed over to the next manager or returned to the leaseholders.

It is theft if the service charge money is transferred to the managers own account.

Section 7.6 states :

"You must hold service charge monies, and any interest accruing, by way of statutory trusts in accounts established in accordance with section 42 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987. Service charge payments must be kept separate from the landlord and managing agent’s own money and must only be used to meet the expenses for which they have been collected."

Comment

It depends on the terms set out within the management agreement.
      Paragraph 6.7 of the RICS code deals with client account monies on the termination of the contract and paragraph 6.2 explains what the agent is authorised to withdraw from the client bank account.
      The monies do not belong to the leaseholders and would not be repaid to them unless the reserve fund was a voluntary fund held outside the scope of the lease.

Comment

I would have thought the out-going managing agent would still be obligated to produce annual accounts which would tally with unspent client monies in an indirect way

Comment

ARMA has produced an advice note which states that agents are required to ensure that the handover is as smooth as possible. It states that they must deal with handovers in a professional competent and efficient manner. It states that any funds which aren’t needed to manage the block must be passed on. The remaining balance must then be handed over at an agreed date (no later than 3 months after the handover, unless otherwise agreed) along with the statement of accounts. The agent must prepare reconciled accounts which should be passed on no later than 3 months after the handover date, unless otherwise agreed.

Comment

The RICS code paragraph 6,1 states that an agent holds client money in trust and if it fails to account for that money properly, it is open to legal action for breach of that trust and criminal liability could arise.

Comment

eagle2,

ARMA seem to produce guidance that is friendly to their members - 3 months is a hell of a long time for a reserve fund to be held hostage....

Comment

The Arma guide is here :

https://rounceandevans.co.uk/wp-cont...ent-agents.pdf

Comment

3 months does seem to be extreme, they seem to be taking the worst case scenario of a large complicated block with a financial year end which involves certification by external accountants. If none of those apply, you should have grounds for arguing that all funds should be reconciled and transferred earlier.

The message is clear though that all monies which are unlikely to be required should be released as soon as possible, unhelpfully they do not set a date, in order for the new agent to manage without disruption. It is clear that the new agent cannot manage without any monies.

The management agreement should be studied carefully in case the agent has slipped in other terms.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Desperately need help. License to alter
                    by Freeholder67
                    I am leaseholder and co- freehold of a ground floor victorian conversion flat.

Planning permission approved in June 2020 Wandsworth planning 2020/2049
                    I have structural engineer drawings, architect drawings.
                    Party walls agreed with both neighbours either side without issue.
                    29-03-2021, 21:41 PM
                  • Reply to Desperately need help. License to alter
                    by flyingfreehold
                    The actual consent to the works would be granted under the licence, everything else is likely to be subject to licence. Until you have the licence in your sweaty palm, you don't have strictly speaking have licence. Sometimes the landlord or his agent or surveyor will say Ok you have the nod, the licence...
                    18-04-2021, 15:23 PM
                  • Reply to New flat purchasing advice needed please. RMC run by managing agent as director
                    by dimension7
                    Hi All,
                    I have now requested and reviewed the account from 2017, 18, 19 for the RMC. Accounts for 2020 were not provided. The accounts have been signed off by the Managing Agent on behalf of the directors of the RMC. I also note that the account have been audited by a company related (husband/wife)...
                    18-04-2021, 14:08 PM
                  • New flat purchasing advice needed please. RMC run by managing agent as director
                    by dimension7
                    Hello,
                    I'm a First-time buyer.

I'm about to purchase a flat as my main home and upon studying the lease and the various forums I have come to understand,
                    • The lease is a tri-party lease between myself, the freeholder and the managing company
                    • The managing company is setup as an
                    05-04-2021, 11:36 AM
                  • Remainder or Reversion Leases
                    by first timer 123
                    Can someone please explain something as I sincerely do not know what I'm missing or not understanding.

On our property there is a building that the neighbouring property occupies. It has been this way since at least the early 1900's

As part of our pre-registration deeds for...
                    18-04-2021, 13:42 PM
                  • Viewing Lease before buying
                    by jp13abk
                    Good afternoon,

Firstly, thank you for all the information that has been shared on this website. It has been of great help.

I'm looking at several flats for my first property purchase and I have asked the estate agencies to please send me the lease.

I'd like to...
                    12-04-2021, 13:23 PM
                  • Reply to Viewing Lease before buying
                    by ram

And reduce the payment for the flat by £ 7. as you are BUYING the lease that enables persons the legal right to live there ( no lease - then you cant live there ) and sellers / agents REFUSED to supply a copy of the lease that you were buying so you could see if the stipulations / rules/
                    18-04-2021, 10:52 AM
                  • Reply to Desperately need help. License to alter
                    by Freeholder67
                    Thankyou flyingfreehold.
                    The licence to alter report is now with solicitors who is drafting the licence. Conditions stated in the report have been met ( temp works design and drawings, hours of work etc. Do I wait until it is physically signed by both freeholders before any work started as I have...
                    18-04-2021, 03:40 AM
                  • Reply to Rmc wanting owner details
                    by Sarah B
                    If the RMC has owner details they should register with the ICO for GDPR reasons. It is not expensive, £35 pa.
                    18-04-2021, 02:29 AM
                  • Rmc wanting owner details
                    by thenunn
                    Hi , another question ...we have a managing agent , is it ok for our directors to have details of owners emails phone numbers addresses ? Would the directors be able to use these as individuals or only as a board ? Would it best for rmc to set up a company email to contact owners rather than use their...
                    13-04-2021, 22:41 PM
                  Working...
                  X