Individual Stopcocks in flats- are they mandatory for leaseholders/landlords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Individual Stopcocks in flats- are they mandatory for leaseholders/landlords?

Hi
    I have 2 flats in a block of 7. I also own my share of the freehold in the block. My flats all have stopcocks fitted in the flat in case of a leak. Many of the others do not. We have had 2 or 3 leaks recently, and I have recently refurbed both flats. I brought it up in a meeting that all flats should have them- the cost is very low in comparison with the cost of a leak- but other landlords/ freeholders/leaseholders did not want the "un-necessary" expense and did not seem to care. Given that they have the top flat they are in no danger, but other flats are, and to me it seems a simple and obvious responsible action to prevent damage.

Is this not mandatory these days?

Can anyone guide to to the regulations/advice on this so I can raise it without creating tension? Because most of us are freeholders and leaseholders we all have to agree (?)

Is there a way I can get the managing agent to require that this is done?

It seems like a no-brainer to me given the relatively small cost. I am new to being a freeholder.

Thanks!

Ideally every tap or valve would have a service valve and it would have a handle not just a slot for a screwdriver.
    but a lot of residents would not have the practical skills to turn it off.
    Leaks between flats are a serious problem but in my experience everyone passed the buck. Good luck!

Comment

https://www.directline.com/home-cove...-is-a-stopcock

Is a Stopcock a Legal Requirement?

It is now a legal requirement for every home to have at least one stopcock. Most properties will have one, situated somewhere close to the water input from the main supply.

However, older properties may not have them, so they will need to have one installed as soon as possible to meet the requirements of local water regulations.

Above information was copied from coastaldrains website

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Director of a Residential Management Company Issue
        by fos333
        We are experiencing the same problem at our development that Service Charge demands have not been issued for this year.

We have also not received Service Charge accounts for 2019, where there was certainly a surplus.

In the latest correspondence from the directors it was stated...
        25-02-2021, 10:53 AM
      • Director of a Residential Management Company Issue
        by NewGuy123
        Hello,

I have been googling most of the day to try get some answers/explanation for the issue we have and i ended up reading through some of your topics and the answers have been really helpful so i am going to try my luck! I am slightly paranoid writing this as this is a public forum and...
        24-02-2021, 13:18 PM
      • Reply to Can freeholder change how visitor bay is used?
        by Section20z
        Yes of course you can have parking enforcement on private land if neither demised nor any rights over it given in lease. Best employ private firm to erect signage and enforce fines. Maybe enforce a time limit unless special exemption given ? ( Visiting mother in law)....
        25-02-2021, 10:45 AM
      • Can freeholder change how visitor bay is used?
        by Pete_Manor
        In a purposed built block of flats with 3 visitor parking spaces, no other communal/shared parking facilities.
        Lease mentioned nothing about visitor parking, it only say "no parking in front of garage" and "not to park anywhere else to cause nuisance and annoyance."
        24-02-2021, 22:18 PM
        by AndrewDod
        They pay what the lease says they should pay for works the lease says needs doing. If they can't afford it they take a loan, take a lodger or get sued. Or they sell their flat immediately. You MUST take legal action against errant lessees -- this is not a game or a charity. And if they do not pay it...
        25-02-2021, 10:40 AM
        by Lawcruncher
        Can the freeholder
        1. Remove the visitor parking space? If the area was set out and designated as a visitor parking space then probably not.
        2. Issue fines or charges for abusive parking (say, some people hogged the space for weeks)? No.
        3. Make new rules about using the visitor parking...
        25-02-2021, 10:33 AM
        by eagle2
        Parking issues cause as many complaints as anything else. Subject to anything within the lease, It is reasonable to provide parking spaces for visitors. If you remove them, what do you intend to do with them?
        My understanding is that parking enforcement may be used on private land, however, if...
        25-02-2021, 09:57 AM
        by Pete_Manor
        Thx Ram. I can't find any law saying parking enforcement on freehold land for leasehold flat isn't allowed?
        The lease says the freeholder can add rule/regulation deem necessary or expedient for the management care and cleanliness of the Buildings and for securing the safety comfort and convenience...
        25-02-2021, 09:30 AM
        by eagle2
        It pays to take the time to try to understand the leaseholders and build a good relationship with them, it is impossible to have one rule for all. You should be sympathetic and flexible in these unusual times and genuine leaseholders will appreciate and respond positively.to offers of assistance, Legal...
        25-02-2021, 06:52 AM
      • Lease still 106 years - should I extend now or later?
        by jay 101
        Hi,

I have a 2 bed flat in London that I rent out. Value of flat is approx 260-280k. 106 years remaining on the lease. I was lead to believe that it's best to extend the lease before it becomes fewer than 100 years remaining but was after opinions as to whether or not this is true?
        24-02-2021, 14:49 PM
      Working...
      X