Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consent to Alter

Hi all,
    My partner and I own our flat share of freehold jointly with the owners of the flat upstairs. The lease has a covenant prohibiting alterations to the walls without landlord's consent, and this seems to cover both structural and non-structural. I understand that for major works a license to alter would be required, but if we wanted to build a cupboard under the stairs, which is within our demised premises, can we just get simple consent in writing from the co-freeholder or would this require a formal license to alter also?
    Thanks in advance!

I think " the proposed cupboard under the stairs" ( within your demised property ) is not an "alteration" covered under the lease.

Its a "removable partition", it is not an alteration.

Comment

Thanks, what do you mean by removable partition? The exact wording of the lease is:
      "Not without the Licence of the Lessor in writing first obtained to alter the elevations or cut maim or alter the main walls timbers or principal partitions of the Demised Premises or of any future buildings or additions to the Demised Premises to erect any new building thereon or carry out any operation or institute or continue any use of the Demised Premises or any addition thereto or any part thereof respectively for which permission is for the time being required under the Town and Country Planning Act 1947 or any Act or Acts for the time being amending or replacing the same."
      It seems like it would depend on the definition in the lease of main walls, timbers and principal partitions (though the lease has no definitions of these), is there a common definition somewhere?
      Thanks!

Comment

You are the Lessor, so to be on the safe side just email the other flat owner and ask if they are happy with your proposals.

Bob's your uncle - you now have a licence to alter.

Comment

I do not see building a cupboard under the stairs as being covered by the clause quoted.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to collective enfranchisement
            by flyingfreehold
            at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
            21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
          • collective enfranchisement
            by flyingfreehold
            Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
            21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
          • Reply to Building works & S20 process
            by scot22
            It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
            21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
          • Building works & S20 process
            by RichA
            Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
            21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
          • Reply to collective enfranchisement
            by Tipper
            Ask lease-advice.org
            21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
          • Reply to Levy
            by scot22
            Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
            21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
          • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
            by Macromia
            They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
            21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
          • Changes to lease wording
            by bigalxyz
            In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

ÔÇťAre there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
            14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
          • Reply to Changes to lease wording
            by Lawcruncher
            If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
            21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
          • Reply to Levy
            by Macromia
            ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
            21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
          Working...
          X