Should I request a deed of variation before exchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I request a deed of variation before exchange?

Hello,

I'm in the final steps of completing a purchase of share of freehold flat in period conversion consisting of three flats. The lease is drafted a long time ago (in the 80s) when there was a commercial freeholder. It has gone through collective enfranchisement in the 2010, however there is no deed of trust/declaration of trust or any variations to the lease at that time. The building is now hold in trust with 3 owners in the title, and the owners manage the building together.

There are several issues that is bothering me:

One is my lease has 105 years remaining while two other leases have over 900 years remaining. Should I expect to be able to renew the lease to 999 years free of charge when the time comes, considering this is a share of freehold, or should I request this prior to completion?

Secondly, the way they are running the property is different the from the lease in several ways, the key point is the maintenance cost is split equally, while in the lease it is rateable value ratio. This way I will have to pay more, as my flat is smaller. However I don't mind as the staircase is now included in the common areas while in the lease, I'm responsible for maintenance cost of the staircase (I'm on the first floor). However should I get all this changes confirmed in a deed of variation, or should I just go with it?

Many thanks!

In my experience it is better to get everything in place that you require before buying. Leasehold can be a nightmare. As much as possible you need clarity.

Comment

I want make the stamp duty holiday deadline. And I'm slightly concern getting the deed of variation agreed and signed by everyone might take time, when I'm not sure the issues warrant it.

Comment

To address you two questions:

a) Can't see why you would/should get it "free". You all own the freehold, and part of the value of the freehold is your short(er) lease.

b) No they can't just make it up.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
          To address you two questions:

a) Can't see why you would/should get it "free". You all own the freehold, and part of the value of the freehold is your short(er) lease.

b) No they can't just make it up.
          But they CAN just make it up. As long as everyone agrees. As the major hurdle in these type of shared freeholds is getting unanimous freeholder decisions made, it could even be argued that making it up is for the best as long as everyone is happy with the situation.

Otherwise without agreement you can have all the lease terms, and all the leasehold law behind you, but your only two options are to force things as a 'pressure point' looms (sale, or maybe if another leaseholder needs something), or appoint a manager.

Comment

Unless you are looking to live in the place for over 15 years or so then the lease length doesn't really matter to you. Seems like there is goodwill at present, maybe use that good will to extend your lease to 900 years after you buy, with ground rent a peppercorn there's not much reason for them to refuse

Comment

Originally posted by andybenw View Post

But they CAN just make it up. As long as everyone agrees. As the major hurdle in these type of shared freeholds is getting unanimous freeholder decisions made, it could even be argued that making it up is for the best as long as everyone is happy with the situation.
              Agree with that. I guess a lot is going to depend on the reason for the discrepancy -- e.g if they paid for the extension either to a previous company freehold or to the current company. If they granted themselves a free extension and this was at the same time as the other shareholder owned their share, they can hardly refuse to make it free - otherwise charging is very reasonable/expected.

Comment

Charging service charge differently to the lease is not a good sign.
                it is being assumed that property will not change hands. Newcomers could think.differently. People can fall out.
                In my experience flexibility leads to disaster. A lease should be followed correctly.
                obviously up to you but do think about where there might be problems.

Comment

For what it's worth, I am in this type of shared freehold. After a few years of hard battles to get maintenance reasonably up to scratch we now have new neighbours upstairs. Unfortunately they are first time homeowners, as a couple of other new leaseholders have been. It gets wearisome retreading similar ground, plus they don't seem to have any respect for others noisewise. So, I am currently in the process of getting ready to sell, and am going to combine the proceeds with a rental sale and move into a freehold property. So to the OP, I would say if you have any chance of affording a freehold house, I personally would be going that route.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your circumstance. Unfortunately I'm in London so the prospect of a freehold property is remote at the moment. I understand Share of Freehold can be challenging, but it is still better than Leasehold, no? I have looked at a few leasehold apartment block, the service charge alone is over £2k a year, I can afford a much higher mortgage with extra £200 a month. I'm certainly wary about maintenance, especially if other freeholders are just letting. Could you not try to quote the lease term, or it is in reality pointless?

Back to my original questions, I'm advised that in these Share of Freehold that had gone through enfranchisement, certain terms can get outdated and no longer enforced (for example, almost no Share of Freehold collects ground rent anymore), so it is about trying to request the right things as well as not request the wrong things.

For example, if the service charge reverts back to the lease term (however we don't even have rateable values anymore), then I won't be worse off anyway. But as my lease is shorter than other leases, then I probably have to expect to pay extension fee when the time comes, and I can't expect the seller to extend it for me before exchange. So currently I feel I should just go with how things are. However I want to check with everyone here to see if I'm being too careless.

Comment

If the seller of leasehold flat is including a " one third share of the freehold title" and since collective enfranchisement in 2010, no ground rent has been demanded by the other 2 joint owners of the freehold, you have to assume the ground rent payment is an obsolete term.

If the service charge is shared equally, just accept the situation even if your flat is smaller. In my block , one and two bed flats pay the same service charge.

Comment

Enfranchised shared freeholds normally don't collect ground rent because that ground rent has been reduced to a 'peppercorn'. Once you have bought, if the other freeholders don't agree to you extending your lease, after 2 years you can force a mandatory extension of 90 years. With ground rent a peppercorn, and (by then) 93 years remaining it should not cost too much.

Maintenance agreement is the biggest concern. Top floor is most at risk kinda obviously due to the roof so if yours is top floor have a really good look at the current state of the roof.

If this is a conversion, you need to think about building layout as conversions tend to be noisy and you would have practically no chance of getting any noise terms in your lease enforced.(that would have to be done by mutual agreement of all freeholders). Biggest lookout, you don't want a kitchen above your bedroom. Obviously top floor becomes the best option with regards to noise.

Comment

Hi Andy, by noise term, do you mean even carpet/wood floor terms are hard to enforce?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Understanding a lease
                            by Anna1985
                            To buy a freehold you could either make an offer to a freeholder or follow collective buy out.

What is the property price and leases upstairs and downstairs.
                            11-04-2021, 16:17 PM
                          • Understanding a lease
                            by Pattyb
                            Can anyone tell me what this means and how much ground rent is to be paid and when ?

TIA

To hold the demised premises unto the Lease from the nineteenth day of December One thousand nine hundred and fifty-four for the term of nine hundred and ninety-nine years yielding and...
                            10-04-2021, 21:29 PM
                          • Reply to Understanding a lease
                            by Lawcruncher
                            [QUOTE=Macromia;n1151621]There is also the possibility that, if the roof space is not demised to the upper flat but the only access is via the flat, you may effectively have rights to the area even if it is not clearly demised to you in the lease.
                            I think this relies on the lease also not clearly...
                            11-04-2021, 14:52 PM
                          • Negotiating new leases
                            by Cornflower
                            Hi, can anyone advise, please?. I am joint freeholder with one other flat, with less than 60 years remaining on our respective leases. As neighbours we do not get on, mainly caused by the fact that the lease states that we have a shared garden. When I moved in years ago, the garden was divided into...
                            11-04-2021, 11:22 AM
                          • Reply to Negotiating new leases
                            by Lawcruncher
                            I am not sure mediation is what is needed here as there does not seem to be a dispute as such.

It is in the interest of both parties to do a deal if they want more freedom to extend and to increase the saleability of their flats.

You need to go into detail to avoid future problems...
                            11-04-2021, 14:47 PM
                          • Reply to Negotiating new leases
                            by flyingfreehold
                            see if you can get your co-freeholder to get round a table or on zoom with a skilled mediator. Many experienced lawyers become mediators. Its a better bet than litigation in so far as the parties can usually iron things out with a mediator's help.
                            11-04-2021, 13:44 PM
                          • Reply to RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing
                            by fos333
                            Thank you for the reply.

However, very difficult to do when the MA refuses to correspond with you or return calls when messages have been left concerning the arrears.

Even worse when acting as a "professional managing agent" terminates the agreement due to differences...
                            11-04-2021, 11:49 AM
                          • RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing
                            by KAH
                            I am a RTM Director with two other Directors. We have appointed a external management company to help us run the management of our properties. Three property owners have substansial historical arrears ( one of which is a current Director of the RTM company).

Our managing agent has asked...
                            06-04-2021, 17:07 PM
                          • Reply to Major Works and Consultation "Section 20" A Warning
                            by ram
                            Please start a New topic. There is already one on here about your same problem.-in fact seems identical.
                            irespective that its probably S20 related, it is a maintenence FH problem you have.
                            11-04-2021, 10:17 AM
                          • Major Works and Consultation "Section 20" A Warning
                            by leaseholdanswers
                            A recent decision has made a huge change in the interpretation of the law in Phillips & Ors V Francis

Since 1985, service charge expenditure has been subject to control

1 Fair and Reasonable in all respects in what is being done, how, when and it's procurement and delivery....
                            28-01-2013, 15:10 PM
                          Working...
                          X