help dealing with trespassers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help dealing with trespassers

In our block of approx 40 flats we are having a problem with local youths (possibly wrong word) breaking in through front door (or being let in by other residents) and hanging out in stairwells smoking and using to as a toilet. Not the biggest problem in the world but unnerving for many residents.

The door (which is quite strong) has been repaired but it seems that now getting into the building has become something of a 'dare' for these uninvited visitors. We have involved the police.

We have asked residents to be careful about not letting people into the block that they don't know. CCTV has been installed and some residents feel this an infringement of privacy (which I get) but equally we need to do something to stop this. The management agency have suggested more CTV.

I wonder has anyone encountered similar problems and is there any advice of other things we could do...short of employing a front door bouncer!

John

Oh, but the poor little darlings have nowhere to go.
    (Cr*p, they have nowhere unsupervised where they can do whatever they want like using the corridor as a toilet).

A 'private security' patrol that comes round ever hour or so for a month or two should make it uncomfartable for them and move them on.
    Use a company don't try and do it yourself, use google to find them.

Of course that's just moving them elsewhere until they grow older or until the patrols stop.

Comment

Try one of those high frequency audio deterrents that only young people can hear.

Comment

report to Police for breach of covid rules (I note that you say they are already involved of course). The suggestion re the audio deterrent is a great one. Alternatively play Radio 2 or a compliation of Matt Monroe Des O'Connor and Max Bygraves hits on a loop in the hall....Seriously this is a horrible problem and not an easy one to solve. Perhaps a hired bouncer is not such a bad idea.
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Not sure about the high pitched noise things. I'm 36 and I can hear those and they make me sick, same as the cat scarers. And what about any kids who live there?
          Security sounds like a much better idea

Comment

Originally posted by ash5050 View Post
            Not sure about the high pitched noise things. I'm 36 and I can hear those and they make me sick, same as the cat scarers. And what about any kids who live there?
            Security sounds like a much better idea
            I think it was a joke ūü§£

Comment

TBH once the weather warms up they will probably be off outdoors somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                Try one of those high frequency audio deterrents that only young people can hear.
                PERFECT - I used to own a Convenience Store and playing that DID clear the little buggers away lol - we got the occasional complaint from an adult who could hear it but not enough to stop playing it.

Comment

I didn't think it was a joke! Its a good idea though yes depends on the ages of residents!

Comment

I'm 61 next week and I can still hear bat squeaks, so one of those things would probably P me off.

Comment

Yes, it was a joke. Are they even legal?

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                        Are they even legal?
                        Probably, you can buy ultrasonic rodent repellents.

Personally I find a decent trap, baited with peanut butter they love it, is best for rodents.
                        I have a smallholders/pet food store next door so am no stranger to mice wandering over and into my kitchen.

Comment

Apparently they are legal: http://www.abcfireandsecurity.co.uk/...0Dispersal.htm
                          Well my sense of humour failed me for once...

Comment

Not Legal To Use On A Setting Less Than 5
                            So of course everybody is immediately going to set it lower than 5.

Comment

Of course they are!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Can freeholder change how visitor bay is used?
                                by Lawcruncher
                                Can the freeholder
                                1. Remove the visitor parking space? If the area was set out and designated as a visitor parking space then probably not.
                                2. Issue fines or charges for abusive parking (say, some people hogged the space for weeks)? No.
                                3. Make new rules about using the visitor parking...
                                25-02-2021, 10:33 AM
                              • Can freeholder change how visitor bay is used?
                                by Pete_Manor
                                In a purposed built block of flats with 3 visitor parking spaces, no other communal/shared parking facilities.
                                Lease mentioned nothing about visitor parking, it only say "no parking in front of garage" and "not to park anywhere else to cause nuisance and annoyance."
                                24-02-2021, 22:18 PM
                                by eagle2
                                Parking issues cause as many complaints as anything else. Subject to anything within the lease, It is reasonable to provide parking spaces for visitors. If you remove them, what do you intend to do with them?
                                My understanding is that parking enforcement may be used on private land, however, if...
                                25-02-2021, 09:57 AM
                                by Pete_Manor
                                Thx Ram. I can't find any law saying parking enforcement on freehold land for leasehold flat isn't allowed?
                                The lease says the freeholder can add rule/regulation deem necessary or expedient for the management care and cleanliness of the Buildings and for securing the safety comfort and convenience...
                                25-02-2021, 09:30 AM
                              • Reply to Director of a Residential Management Company Issue
                                by eagle2
                                It pays to take the time to try to understand the leaseholders and build a good relationship with them, it is impossible to have one rule for all. You should be sympathetic and flexible in these unusual times and genuine leaseholders will appreciate and respond positively.to offers of assistance, Legal...
                                25-02-2021, 06:52 AM
                              • Director of a Residential Management Company Issue
                                by NewGuy123
                                Hello,

I have been googling most of the day to try get some answers/explanation for the issue we have and i ended up reading through some of your topics and the answers have been really helpful so i am going to try my luck! I am slightly paranoid writing this as this is a public forum and...
                                24-02-2021, 13:18 PM
                              • Lease still 106 years - should I extend now or later?
                                by jay 101
                                Hi,

I have a 2 bed flat in London that I rent out. Value of flat is approx 260-280k. 106 years remaining on the lease. I was lead to believe that it's best to extend the lease before it becomes fewer than 100 years remaining but was after opinions as to whether or not this is true?
                                24-02-2021, 14:49 PM
                              • Reply to Lease still 106 years - should I extend now or later?
                                by sgclacy
                                Assuming the flat is worth £270k and the ground rent is £250 doubling in 6 years to £500 and doubling every 25 years thereafter the premium for a lease extension would be around £13,000. A ground rent of that size may attract a capitalisation rate of 5% to 5.5%.

In addition, there are...
                                24-02-2021, 23:35 PM
                                by ram
                                If your lease says the freeholder can make changes to the lease for the better enjoyment / safety of the premises, you may be able to remove the visitor parking spaces.
                                Of course changing the lease means adding to your list of freeholder rules and regulations , which covers the freeholder common
                                24-02-2021, 23:14 PM
                              • Reply to Director of a Residential Management Company Issue
                                by ram
                                You call a Directors meeting for discusion about urgent service charges.
                                If some don't turn up, then not your problem.

Give them 7 days notice, and preferably for a weekend, so post your letters tomorrow. ( through the letter boxes of those directors that live there.)

24-02-2021, 22:55 PM
                              Working...
                              X