I need to convince my freeholder to remove a sub-letting clause in my contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to convince my freeholder to remove a sub-letting clause in my contract

Hey guys,

In May 2020 I bought a flat in London that I am currently living in. While I have no plans to let it out just yet, I would like to get the sub-letting clause removed from my contract in case I need to let it out in the future.

The freeholder is a property management agency and I have their contact details, but I'm trying to figure out the most compelling way to ask them to remove the clause.

Does anyone have any advice on how I might approach this? I guess they don't really benefit from removing the clause, so any suggestions for how I could frame this would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ryan

If there are more than 1 flat, you would need the agreement of all the other leaseholders to change / amend the lease. You would also have to pay the legal expenses for this.

You are better off, requesting consent to sub-lease from the freeholder.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

There's a shop below me, but that's it. They have the same freeholder as me. Do you think they would need to grant permission too?

Out of interest, do you have any rough idea how much the legal fees might be for something like this?

Thanks again,
      Ryan

Comment

Ask youself:
        'What's in it for the freeholder?'
        At the moment the answer is nothing.

'What are the possible issues for them?' ie. Why do they have a no sub-lettings clause?
        They'd have no say in who you sublet to, it could be someone totally unsuitable.
        They don't want the possibility of Airbnb style lettings, with all he problems that could bring.
        If something happens to you they are left with your sub-tenant to deal with (and get out of their property).

Unless you can make it worth their while, and overcome their concerns, then there is no reason for them to change their no-subletting policy.

Comment

Just ask them how much they want to change it ?
          there is no need for other lessees to agree, I have flats in a block where freeholder has done the opposite and introduced no subletting clauses with lease extensions.
          And they didn't ask me !

Comment

If you quote the subletting clause in full we can comment on how restrictive it is.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Director of a Residential Management Company Issue
              by AndrewDod
              They pay what the lease says they should pay for works the lease says needs doing. If they can't afford it they take a loan, take a lodger or get sued. Or they sell their flat immediately. You MUST take legal action against errant lessees -- this is not a game or a charity. And if they do not pay it...
              25-02-2021, 10:40 AM
            • Director of a Residential Management Company Issue
              by NewGuy123
              Hello,

I have been googling most of the day to try get some answers/explanation for the issue we have and i ended up reading through some of your topics and the answers have been really helpful so i am going to try my luck! I am slightly paranoid writing this as this is a public forum and...
              24-02-2021, 13:18 PM
            • Reply to Can freeholder change how visitor bay is used?
              by Lawcruncher
              Can the freeholder
              1. Remove the visitor parking space? If the area was set out and designated as a visitor parking space then probably not.
              2. Issue fines or charges for abusive parking (say, some people hogged the space for weeks)? No.
              3. Make new rules about using the visitor parking...
              25-02-2021, 10:33 AM
            • Can freeholder change how visitor bay is used?
              by Pete_Manor
              In a purposed built block of flats with 3 visitor parking spaces, no other communal/shared parking facilities.
              Lease mentioned nothing about visitor parking, it only say "no parking in front of garage" and "not to park anywhere else to cause nuisance and annoyance."
              24-02-2021, 22:18 PM
              by eagle2
              Parking issues cause as many complaints as anything else. Subject to anything within the lease, It is reasonable to provide parking spaces for visitors. If you remove them, what do you intend to do with them?
              My understanding is that parking enforcement may be used on private land, however, if...
              25-02-2021, 09:57 AM
              by Pete_Manor
              Thx Ram. I can't find any law saying parking enforcement on freehold land for leasehold flat isn't allowed?
              The lease says the freeholder can add rule/regulation deem necessary or expedient for the management care and cleanliness of the Buildings and for securing the safety comfort and convenience...
              25-02-2021, 09:30 AM
            • Reply to Director of a Residential Management Company Issue
              by eagle2
              It pays to take the time to try to understand the leaseholders and build a good relationship with them, it is impossible to have one rule for all. You should be sympathetic and flexible in these unusual times and genuine leaseholders will appreciate and respond positively.to offers of assistance, Legal...
              25-02-2021, 06:52 AM
            • Lease still 106 years - should I extend now or later?
              by jay 101
              Hi,

I have a 2 bed flat in London that I rent out. Value of flat is approx 260-280k. 106 years remaining on the lease. I was lead to believe that it's best to extend the lease before it becomes fewer than 100 years remaining but was after opinions as to whether or not this is true?
              24-02-2021, 14:49 PM
            • Reply to Lease still 106 years - should I extend now or later?
              by sgclacy
              Assuming the flat is worth £270k and the ground rent is £250 doubling in 6 years to £500 and doubling every 25 years thereafter the premium for a lease extension would be around £13,000. A ground rent of that size may attract a capitalisation rate of 5% to 5.5%.

In addition, there are...
              24-02-2021, 23:35 PM
              by ram
              If your lease says the freeholder can make changes to the lease for the better enjoyment / safety of the premises, you may be able to remove the visitor parking spaces.
              Of course changing the lease means adding to your list of freeholder rules and regulations , which covers the freeholder common
              24-02-2021, 23:14 PM
            Working...
            X