Can service charge/sink fund be used for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eagle2
    replied
    I must have been unlucky, I have yet to find a competent property manager, each one I have across has been more interested in making money for himself at the expense of the leaseholders. There is no reason why you cannot manage the building yourselves, but it does require a good relationship with all leaseholders and trust needs to be built, earned and maintained.

Leave a comment:

• scot22
    replied
    I believe in always having a competent property manager, most are. Seen too many volunteers working without thanks and even hassled.
    With a P.M everyone must contribute to the running of the place.
    I am not advertising but don't know why people put up with the demands.

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied
    It is the responsibility of the RTM to get to know its leaseholders and understand the reasons for none payment, you cannot assume that they have no grounds for withholding payment. It is all very well others saying that the directors should lend monies to the RTM but what happens when the costs are not fully recovered from the leaseholders, as in most cases? The benefit of going to the FTT, if private negotiations fail, is that it is simple, it costs very little and the FTT will determine what is payable. The leaseholders will then have no legal argument against paying.

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    As post #3, if you've tried usual polite reminders then just take out MCOL summons , after notifying any mortgagees.
    If RTM has no funds then best use a directors loan to fund it and recover costs from recalcitrant lessees.
    Absolutely no point in applying to FTT where there is no dispute, you will just be wasting time and money.

Unfortunately RTMs often suffer from these issues with selfish leaseholders not meeting their obligations and often delaying essential maintenance and pitting neighbour against neighbour.
    It sounds like you have a number of flats so might be worth considering employing a professional management company that could routinely handle these arrears.

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied
    I would try to avoid legal action if at all possible, costs are rarely recovered in full and it usually results in some or all leaseholders unhappy with the outcome, if there are several leaseholders involved, it suggests that some of the charges are unreasonable. I would try engaging with those leaseholders and attempt to find a solution. If you cannot reach agreement, it says much about the parties involved but you could try mediation or arbitration etc. Alternatively, applying to the First Tier Tribunal would be a better option than applying to the court, which would often transfer the case anyway,

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    The RTM has a legal right to demand annual service charge from leaseholder under the lease .

So use the small claims court ( online service ) to collect the service charge arrears . No solicitor required .

The court fee for online claims below £1000 is £60 or below £2000 is £105 etc .

The claim should include "the arrears + court fee + interest if allowed in lease, calculated from due date ) .

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...-claims-court/

You can test the small claims court method by entering claim for first year service charge arrears..

Leave a comment:

• Macromia
    replied
    What do your leases say?

Does it explicitly allow service charge funds to be used for legal fee or court costs?
    Does it contain any more ambiguously worded clauses that would allow it (e.g. something that covers all costs of collecting service charges)?

If the RTM company has no funds of its own, and the leases do not allow these costs to be taken from service charge funds, the directors may have to decide whether to pay any costs themselves (as a freeholder would) and home that the leases and/or court allows the costs to be recovered from the defaulting leaseholders (who should be the ones paying any costs anyway - if the leases are written well).

Leave a comment:

• michelle230
    started a topic Can service charge/sink fund be used for this?

Can service charge/sink fund be used for this?

On behalf of a friend..

We are a Right to Manage Company (RTM). We have some leaseholders who are in significant arrears with their service charges. We have stuck to the ARMA recommended system of sending reminders and notice before action etc. Next step therefor is a County Court Application. Does anyone know where the RTM is supposed to get the funds to pay for the County Court application fees and if necessary any legal representation? Thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Isn't there any obligation to be insured?
    by Sarah17
    Hi All,
    I recently bought a flat and learned since that the flat above is a regulated tenancy. The current tenant has moved in 1972. The flat is in a very shabby state, and I am worried about it (safety concerns, fire risk...etc). I wrote to the landlord and didn't receive any answer yet. A few...
    16-01-2022, 17:57 PM
  • Reply to Isn't there any obligation to be insured?
    by Sarah17
    Hi All, many many thanks for your answers. As it is a regulated tenancy (beginning in 1972), indeed the rent is very low, the LL is doing the minimum expecting the tenant to move. I had the opportunity to look inside, it sounds in a very bad state, but I don't know up to which point this is just a...
    23-01-2022, 17:14 PM
  • Reply to Adjoining garage roofs
    by NaomiB
    I'm afraid there is not the slightest chance that the roofs will all be done at once so that one's out. Although the flats are managed well, the garages never have been. The other garages in that block of six are owned by the freeholder. With him, it's a case of 'I won't do anything unless I can get...
    23-01-2022, 17:05 PM
  • Adjoining garage roofs
    by NaomiB
    A year ago I bought a run down garage with a leaking roof. I thought I would be able to fix it with Flashband but it was impossible. I got a new roof and door and let it out to a neighbour. The flats are managed but the garages are not.

Yesterday I got a text from the owner of the adjoining...
    10-01-2022, 07:19 AM
    by JK0
    I don't think you'll hear from your roofer, Naomi. I refer you to what I said before.

Whatever he does will be done grudgingly, even if you get trading standards involved. Do you really want him to come back to do more of the same?

As before, the roofs need all...
    23-01-2022, 16:48 PM
    by NaomiB
    I wrote to my roofer on 10 Jan but have had no reply. On Thursday my son went up to get better pictures. They show that the rubber has flapped right back and needs re-fixing. I wrote to him again on Friday but haven't had a reply. I am worried he is going to say it's wind damage but surely, with...
    23-01-2022, 16:15 PM
  • Reply to Freeholder failure to maintain
    by Babyspice
    I would suggest writing to ur MP to raise awareness on this issue. They might be able to help. U can also contact the LKP team for their opinion to see what they suggest in ur situation....
    23-01-2022, 14:59 PM
  • Freeholder failure to maintain
    by Catastrophiser2020
    What to do about a freeholder that doesn't maintain property?
    Unfortunately right to manage is not an option
    There is damage to my property due to FH failure to repair...
    22-01-2022, 20:36 PM
  • Reply to Voting Rights and Required Percentages
    by Arizona
    Thank you for your swift response.

All five leaseholders have been in residence here for 20 years. We own our own management company and have managed very well up to now because so far we've all agreed on everything. It's just that we would like an idea of the percentages just-in-case,...
    23-01-2022, 12:59 PM
  • Voting Rights and Required Percentages
    by Arizona
    Good Morning. I'm brand new to this site so I apologise if this question is in the wrong section.

My wife and I live in a self contained apartment in a converted old house. There are five apartments in total, occupied by five separate couples. We are all leaseholders and we collectively,...
    23-01-2022, 08:52 AM
Working...
X