Managing agent reasonable repair costs after flood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managing agent reasonable repair costs after flood

Hi does anyone know if there is any precedence set for reasonable repairs after flood from leaseholders flat into communal areas?

There has been a water escape from broken water pipe joint causing minor damage to a wooden floor in the hallway below. Slight expansion but hardly noticeable unless you were looking for it and floor is 15 years old. Is the MA being reasonable in asking for complete replacement? Trying to keep insurance companies out of it at present but assume this is next step to resolve if they insist on replacement.

If you conduct internet search for repair to wood floor, you may find this ( but it has to be dried out first ) :

For deep gouges or dents, you can use a wood floor filler and wood stain to repair the damaged area. Before applying the filler, tape off the damaged area so you don't accidentally apply filler where it doesn't belong. Mix equal parts of the epoxy-based filler and apply to the gouge with a putty knife. Allow to dry.Dec 15, 2020

( posted on hometips........ website )

Send a photo of minor damage to the MA.

Comment

I don't think that there is any standard procedure, it depends on the circumstances of each case. It would be logical to make an insurance claim unless the cost is negligible.

Comment

Water damage is usually claimed on the buildings insurance. Therefore block responsibility. The pipe if in a flat should be repaired by the flat owner. The excess is usually met by the service charge fund unless negligence can be proved (unlikely). Some blocks' policy is the flat owner has to pay but this is not good practice

Comment

Thanks both. Whether it will be an insurance claim or pay out of my own pocket really depends on what the management company decide is required. I guess my insurance company can challenge any unnecessary costs if required.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X