Buying the Freehold

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Buying the Freehold

    Hello. Apologies if this is the wrong forum. I am utterly confused as to where to post this.
    I own a flat, which I rent out. I have owned it for almost a year.
    It's a top floor flat in a building with approx 4 other flats.
    I have a 125 year lease.

    I've been sent a letter today giving me first right of refusal for the purchase of the freehold which is to happen via auction. I have so many questions!

    a) I think at least 50% of us have to want the freehold to proceed right? I couldn't buy it on my own?
    b) how on earth do you know how much it costs?
    c) if I say yes and I forced to pay whatever it goes for at auction? Or is that the point where I get the first right of refusal?
    c) what happens if we don't buy it - can a new landlord come in and change all the fees that are charged etc?
    d) what happens if we do buy it ? Do I become responsible for all the communal areas and insurance for the whole building?
    e) what about the flats who don't want to buy it? do I become their landlord and charge them service rent?


    Thanks in advance for any help or any pointers in the right direction would be good. Naturally I know I'm going to have to speak to a solicitor but would love to get some idea on these things!

    Thanks very much

    There's lots of readily available info online and threads on this forum if you search but briefly:
    a.Yes. or you can buy it on your own at the auction if 50% don't reserve their rights.
    B. Nobody knows till final bid
    C. You just get the option to buy, you are not committed
    D. Yes, but you might form A company to jointly share it
    E. Yes


      Thanks for replying, I appreciate the concise and informative answers!


        Being the freeholder of a small block may not be for you, there's are guidelines and procedures you need to follow, for example when the ground rent or service charge is payable. The insurance of the building, what to do when of the flat's doesn't pay. Annual accounts, the list is endless based on your obligations you need to do.

        Also you would not be able to buy the freehold if your the leaseholder named on your flat, you would need to form a company and buy it through that, as for example if you owed ground rent and decided you wont pay it, you can't sue yourself for it.


          I recommend that you download the free guide to RFR at the LEASE website,org . This guide will explain the legal situation and how to respond .

          To check the number of properties in your block, you can go online to Land Registry website and pay £3 to download each property title for your post code address. You probably need a majority of flats in the building ( 3 out of 5 flats ? ) to respond .


          Latest Activity


          • Management of client account closure
            by AndrewDod
            I suppose this belongs in this forum but is more general.

            Let's suppose a managing agent for a RTM holds client accounts a) service charge b) reserve fund. They are held in trust but the account manager is the agent.

            Manager's contract comes to an end and is not renewed. Can...
            25-02-2021, 20:57 PM
          • Reply to Management of client account closure
            by eagle2
            3 months does seem to be extreme, they seem to be taking the worst case scenario of a large complicated block with a financial year end which involves certification by external accountants. If none of those apply, you should have grounds for arguing that all funds should be reconciled and transferred...
            28-02-2021, 06:32 AM
          • Small claim online
            by Anna1985
            I have finally submitted the claim online and it is now nearing 14 days since the claim paperwork was delivered and the leaseholder doesn't pick up the post.

            Please note the leaseholder doesn't live in the address and didn't provide FHs or our solicitor with his current address.
            27-02-2021, 11:39 AM
          • Reply to Small claim online
            by eagle2
            You are playing games, if you have an address at which the leaseholder is expected to receive documents, you should send correspondence to that address.
            I have seen too many of these stances over the years and “I am right, I am not going to budge and I am going to teach him a lesson” does...
            28-02-2021, 06:25 AM
          • Section 20 major works question
            by tims52
            I own a top floor Victorian flat and freeholder is a well known housing association who own the flat downstairs and rent out. So quite a small terrace property.
            I have a section 20 notice sent to me including roof replacement and a host of other things including replacement of my windows...
            27-02-2021, 20:58 PM
          • Reply to Section 20 major works question
            by eagle2
            The costs should be allocated in the proportion set out in your lease.
            You are entitled to object to any work which is unnecessary.
            You are also entitled to object if part of the cost is higher due to neglect but you may have difficulty in proving the actual additional cost.
            28-02-2021, 06:22 AM
          • Reply to Management of client account closure
            by Gordon999
            The Arma guide is here :

            28-02-2021, 02:52 AM
          • Reply to Small claim online
            by sgclacy
            you can still get a money judgement but can’t issue a Section 146 Notice unless it is over £350 or three years old

            the lessee who rents it out presumably once a year when compiling his tax return must wonder what ground rent and service charge expense he may claim - so any idea on...
            27-02-2021, 23:03 PM
          • Reply to Management of client account closure
            by AndrewDod
            ARMA seem to produce guidance that is friendly to their members - 3 months is a hell of a long time for a reserve fund to be held hostage.......
            27-02-2021, 22:17 PM
          • Reply to Small claim online
            by Anna1985
            Section20z , yes you are right, a small claim determination is sufficient.

            Unfortunately we would need to wait until we claim next payment for repairs, as the current one is under £350....
            27-02-2021, 18:39 PM