Selling freehold to one of two leaseholders ROFR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling freehold to one of two leaseholders ROFR

Hi, looking for some advice! I own a freehold of a block of 2 flats. Both with long lease leaseholders (130 years remaining). Leaseholders(1) has asked to buy the freehold and I would like to agree. But they do not want to share the freehold with the other leaseholder(2) and have asked me not to submit an ROFR.

Can I sell the freehold directly to the leaseholder(1) without ROFR? (The second leaseholder(2) will only buy if they can share the freehold (cheaper) with the first leaseholder(1) but leaseholder(1) does not want to share the freehold).

So basically I cannot sell unless I can sell directly to leaseholder(1) without offering the freehold to leaseholder(2).

Can I do this?
    Thank you!

No, not if the block meets the RFR requirements. Except from LAS:

There must be at least two flats in the building, so the right does not apply to houses occupied as one unit – but will, of course, apply to a house which has been converted into flats.There are three requirements for the premises to be subject to the RFR:
    • they must contain at least two flats; and
    • no more than 50% of the premises to be in non-residential use; and
    • more than 50% of the flats in the premises must be held by ‘qualifying tenants’.

The building will be excluded from the RFR if more than 50% (excluding the common areas) is not in residential use, say offices or shops. The measurement excludes any common parts of the residential building, such as staircases, landings etc. The Act refers to parts of the premises occupied or intended to be occupied for non-residential purposes. A building could be excluded if it contained empty spaces which made up more than half the building which the landlord intended to use for non-residential purposes, such as storage.

The solution seems to be to offer it via RFR and then sell to Leaseholder1 on the open market when the offer notice expires

Comment

Thank you. Its a converted house, so 2 flats. I was hoping not to have to do an RFR but if that covers my back then that's better.

Can I just send a letter asking if they want to buy it at a set price or do I have to use a special form?

Comment

I'd use a solicitor (someone who knows what they're doing) as like most leasehold and freehold law it's pretty gnarly and the notice and its service on the qualifying tenant have to be right.

The LAS guidance is gives a pretty comprehensive summary (https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...-first-refusal) and I also got hold of a copy of the Tenants Right of First Refusal by Radevsky & Clark which helped, although it's no substitute for a good solicitor!

Comment

Thank you!

I saw that the advice states:

"Where there are less than 10 qualifying tenants he may serve on all but one of them. This means that, where there are only two qualifying tenants, the landlord could comply by serving the Offer Notice on only one of them."

Perfect for me!

Thanks for your help!

Comment

There is a slight problem - it is used generally in the case of missing leaseholder.

Since you are well aware where two of your leaseholders live, it is best to follow solicitor route and service section 5 notice to both leaseholders.

Comment

Ultimately, the L1 will refuse to buy with L2 and the freehold will be available on open market, you can then sell to whoever offers the higher price.

Comment

You can only sell for the price on the section 5 notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna1985 View Post
                  Ultimately, the L1 will refuse to buy with L2 and the freehold will be available on open market, you can then sell to whoever offers the higher price.
                  How can you offer the freehold to one owner but not the other - that sounds very unfair to me

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post

How can you offer the freehold to one owner but not the other - that sounds very unfair to me
                    The entire freehold ownership of leasehold properties is unfair .

Comment

Section20z , the same price or more.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Berkeley / Woolwich aresenal development
                        by sbag79
                        Dear all

I am looking to buy my second BTL property in Woolwich Arsenal area (London). It’s a flat originally built by Berkeley back in 2002. There’s a lease of approx 112 yrs left, service charge is around 1900£ and ground rent is about 150£. They have EWS certificate as well for...
                        11-04-2021, 07:26 AM
                      • RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing
                        by KAH
                        I am a RTM Director with two other Directors. We have appointed a external management company to help us run the management of our properties. Three property owners have substansial historical arrears ( one of which is a current Director of the RTM company).

Our managing agent has asked...
                        06-04-2021, 17:07 PM
                      • Reply to RTM Director accuses another Director of fraud/stealing
                        by Gordon999
                        If a MA was appointed to run the service charge account and collect service charge contributions , the directors can instruct the MA to use the small claims court to recover arrears in service charge payments.
                        11-04-2021, 06:14 AM
                      • Lease holder/management company deliberately blocking sale of flat
                        by stevied
                        I have owned a flat for more than 10 years, the property lease has been sold twice during this time. I put my flat onto the market at the beginning of the year and after a few months I got a buyer. I asked for all the packs etc and found that the management company were deliberately taking their time...
                        29-10-2019, 21:38 PM
                      • Reply to Lease holder/management company deliberately blocking sale of flat
                        by Gordon999
                        It may be better to involve your local MP and get the MP to make a written complaint to CMA and to Housing Minister .

They cannot help you until you raise up your problem to them.
                        11-04-2021, 05:59 AM
                      • Understanding a lease
                        by Pattyb
                        Can anyone tell me what this means and how much ground rent is to be paid and when ?

TIA

To hold the demised premises unto the Lease from the nineteenth day of December One thousand nine hundred and fifty-four for the term of nine hundred and ninety-nine years yielding and...
                        10-04-2021, 21:29 PM
                      • Reply to Understanding a lease
                        by Gordon999
                        Under the leasehold property system ( existing in E & W ) , the legal owner of the property belongs to the freeholder and the leaseholders are just tenants under a long term rental agreement.

How many flats in your building and are the flats paying very low ground rents ?
                        11-04-2021, 05:49 AM
                      • Reply to Understanding a lease
                        by Pattyb
                        That was a quick response, ta !

Why are leases so hard to understand ?

I want to eventually build a room in the loft but again I don't understand the lease.

Can the freeholder refuse to consent to a loft room without any explanation because the lease says nothing...
                        10-04-2021, 22:15 PM
                      • Structural Alteration/Consent
                        by ZRG90
                        Hi all,

Just moved into a property which is a converted house into 3 flats on a long lease, with each flat member owning a share of the freehold (we sit on public management company)

My lease states I’m: “Not to make any structural alteration or structural addition to the...
                        10-04-2021, 03:03 AM
                      • Reply to Structural Alteration/Consent
                        by Lawcruncher
                        I can knock up a form of licence, but need to know how the company executes deeds.
                        10-04-2021, 22:11 PM
                      Working...
                      X