Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 20 & Sinking Fund

Hi all,
    It appears the Directors of our management company spent a large amount of our sinking fund last year on what they have told us are 'Fire Stopping' issues including the fitting of fire collars in our basement.
    A section 20 was never issued but instead costs where taken from the sinking fund, and I was wondering if they can actually do this without consulting the leaseholders?
    Thanks

Unfortunately yes, the Daejan case allows them to use the monies and you can only seek to recover amounts if you can prove financial loss, which you probably cannot. You can ask to see the supporting invoices and you may be able to claim that the works could have been carried out at a lower amount. Their argument will probably be that the works were urgent and so they decided not to follow the s20 procedure.

Comment

Thanks. I'm going to go down the Section 22 route and ask for supporting invoices as I'm concerned about a conflict of interest here.

Comment

Strictly you need to follow s21 before you can make a request under s22. Have you tried an informal request for the documents? Again a conflict of interest doesn't help you unless you can prove that a lower cost could have been obtained elsewhere at the time.. Even then you need to be careful that you are not claiming monies from yourselves. What is the structure of the management company? Are all leaseholders members? Can you remove the directors? Do you have a managing agent?

Comment

Yes, you are right about the s21 request but I donk think we can do that until we get the account for last year.
          We have a number of Directors who are leaseholders that make up the management company and then a managing agent. My concern is that one of the Directors is very close to our property manager from the managing agent (to the point that when he left one managing agent the Director insisted that we move to the agent he had gone to). The Director in question and property manager seem to be the ones leading in terms of the spend without much consultation going on.
          We spent 450k on a new roof and we have been told that there is claim of negligence against the managing agent which doesn't seem to be being pursued as well.

Comment

Yes, the s21 request would need to be in relation to the financial period in which the expenditure fell. There is no harm requesting the supporting invoices anyway.. If you can obtain members of the Management Company holding 5% of the voting rights to agree, you can force an EGM and elect more directors and/or remove existing ones and also vote to remove the managing agent.

Comment

Thanks. I'll start with S21 and then look to obtain invoices which I'm most interested in.

Comment

Good luck, please let us know how you get on.

Comment

Thanks for your help on this.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Management of client account closure
                    by Callan1
                    I would have thought the out-going managing agent would still be obligated to produce annual accounts which would tally with unspent client monies in an indirect way
                    26-02-2021, 09:53 AM
                  • Management of client account closure
                    by AndrewDod
                    I suppose this belongs in this forum but is more general.

Let's suppose a managing agent for a RTM holds client accounts a) service charge b) reserve fund. They are held in trust but the account manager is the agent.

Manager's contract comes to an end and is not renewed. Can...
                    25-02-2021, 20:57 PM
                  • Rtm
                    by mags69
                    Hi

Can anyone tell me whether the value of a flat is adversely affected if the development is self managed by an RTM? I've been told that the value is reduced by 35% and I would not be able to get a mortgage. Thanks
                    25-02-2021, 17:20 PM
                  • Reply to Rtm
                    by eagle2
                    An RTM Company should increase the value of the property because you are in control of the charges instead of being in the hands of 3rd parties, There should be no difference in the ability to obtain a mortgage.
                    26-02-2021, 09:47 AM
                    by eagle2
                    It depends on the terms set out within the management agreement.
                    Paragraph 6.7 of the RICS code deals with client account monies on the termination of the contract and paragraph 6.2 explains what the agent is authorised to withdraw from the client bank account.
                    The monies do not belong to...
                    26-02-2021, 09:34 AM
                  • Reply to Rtm
                    by Section20z
                    Often leaseholders see an RTM Co as an excuse to reduce service charges to zero and maintenance ceases.
                    So yes RTM can reduce value by 35% and a well run RTM might increase it by 35% .
                    Do your research, or stick to Freehold !...
                    26-02-2021, 08:56 AM
                    by Gordon999
                    See page 26 in RICS Management Code : Section 7.6 :

https://www.rics.org/globalassets/ri...ition-rics.pdf

The "unspent service charge money" belongs to the leaseholders and should be handed over to the next manager or returned to the leaseholders.

It...
                    25-02-2021, 22:13 PM
                  • Reply to Rtm
                    by Gordon999
                    The valuation of a flat is adversely affected by :

(a) "wrong location" such as next door to refuse collection centre or cemetry or "up north" or "no bus service " or tower block with combustible cladding .
                    (b) "lease with remaining short term"...
                    25-02-2021, 21:57 PM
                  • Fire doors as front doors to flats
                    by Codger
                    Some leaseholders have installed front doors that have upvc frames and glass panels. It is likely to be mentioned in a fire risk assessment for the block so I wonder what we can do to enforce a recommendation to install firedoors.
                    22-02-2021, 11:07 AM
                  • Reply to Fire doors as front doors to flats
                    by Codger
                    The need for certification seems to stop us replacing hopelessly dangerous plastic doors with much better solid firedoors that may not be perfectly fitted!
                    25-02-2021, 20:35 PM
                  Working...
                  X