New freeholder requested backdated ground rent

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New freeholder requested backdated ground rent


    I have been living in a leasehold property for the last 8 year. I have always paid ground rent to the freeholder every year via bank transfer. Recently a new freeholder has taken over and is under the impression that I have not been paying and has sent a formal demand for backdated ground rent for the past 6 years. I have shown bank statements with my payments to the previous freeholder but the new one does not think this is sufficient proof. The previous freeholder never gave formal invoices so I have no other form of proof.

    To complicate things further. The new freeholder won't invoice me individually just for this year as he wants to be paid all 6 years. So now I do actually owe for this year but I can't pay as he won't provide me with the separate invoice.

    What can I do? Do I wait for this to go to court? Do I need to seek legal help? Will I have to pay again since I don't have formal invoices from the previous freeholder?


    Do they admit they never invoiced you?


      Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
      Do they admit they never invoiced you?
      I am no longer in contact with the old freeholder so I have no proof that they did not invoice me.


        You do not have to pay ground rent at all if not invoiced. I presume you have exiting amounts on your bank statements. There is no requirement that you get or that they provide proofs of payment (receipts).

        I'd just tell them that you have paid in full and to get lost.

        "Invoices" by the way are requests to pay - not receipts for payment.


          It would appear that the new freeholder is trying it on by saying you owe 6 years ground rent unless you can prove otherwise. Be careful if you make a payment, make it absolutely clear which year you are paying, pay by cheque, keep a copy and obtain proof of posting.


            Have you received a rent authority letter from your new freeholder solucitor


              Tell them to do one , but I would pay this year's otherwise you might be in trouble. Try and get bank details (say you want to pay the lot??)so you can pay direct , otherwise they can bin cheque.


                I would definitely not pay by bank transfer, otherwise the freeholder is likely to apply the payment against the oldest ground rent which he is claiming. It doesn't matter if he bins the cheque (he won't) as long as you keep a copy and you hold proof of posting.


                  Originally posted by Anna1985 View Post
                  Have you received a rent authority letter from your new freeholder solucitor
                  No I have not received a rent authority letter. Although the freeholder said his solicitor sent one. I asked him for proof that it had been sent or to resend and then I received an email from his solicitor with a copy of the land registry showing him as the freeholder in response.

                  From the freeholder, I have also received a formal demand for the backdated ground rent in this format:

                  It states that I have 14 days to make the 6 payments.


                    In any event unless the previous freeholder actually assigned the claimed arrears they are not due to the new freeholder. I am sorry that your new freeholder is behaving badly/ignorantly. Address yourself to the new freeholders solicitors. They will eventually tire of trying it on, I would hope.


                      Were the leaseholders offered RFR ( right of first refusal ) to buy the freehold title before the sale of freehold title ?

                      Make a complaint against new freeholder's solicitor to SRA , the Regulator for solicitors . It must be fraud situation to demand payment for 6 years if the GR has already been paid to previous freeholder. Show the bank payment receipts to SRA.


                        We haven't been told that a solicitor issued the demand so I would hold fire on complaining to the SRA. It is definitely worth reporting this to your local MP because the fleecing of leaseholders is to be discussed in parliament.



                          I was sent a text message by the previous freeholder asking if I would be interested in buying. But nothing official from any solicitor.



                            The demand came directly from the Freeholder by email, not from their solicitor.


                              If you are interested in purchasing the freehold, you can probably exercise the right to acquire it at the price paid by the purchaser as you do not appear to have been given a proper notice, which does not need to be issued by a solicitor, but should be more formal than a "are you interested" text message, it should set out the terms of the sale. You should seek legal advice if you intend to proceed.


                              Latest Activity


                              • Dissolve company and regain shares
                                by LaraJara21
                                Good afternoon

                                I am the director of a small a residents management company / limited company and We want to dissolve the limited company so each freeholder can regain their own shares. I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise on if this is possible and if so, how do we that?...
                                22-09-2021, 11:35 AM
                              • Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
                                by ram
                                As above post number 2

                                The Limited company owns the building, and the flats. ( R.M.C )
                                The leaseholdrs become members of the Ltd company and shares are issued to each flat ( one share per flat )
                                They then have a share in the company that owns the freehold ( they are not freeholders,
                                22-09-2021, 21:22 PM
                              • Negotiating a lease extension
                                by LizLease
                                Hi all, I am new to the forum.
                                I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
                                I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
                                I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
                                21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
                              • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                                by sgclacy
                                If you were to challenge the costs afterwards, almost certainly it would be dealt with as a paper review and is not as daunting as it might seem . The Tribunal generally think that around £350 plus VAT for dealing with the Section 42 Notice of claim and circa £1000 plus vat for the deed of surrender...
                                22-09-2021, 13:38 PM
                              • Reply to Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                                by Gordon999
                                I have some faint recollection that a complaint of " in-house legal team" was raised before a LVT or FTT Tribunal and Chairman decided "in-house team" did not qualify as "solicitor", who are required to conduct CDD ( Client Due Diligence ) before taking...
                                22-09-2021, 12:28 PM
                              • Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                                by mpppen
                                I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

                                It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

                                I've read back through the forums...
                                21-09-2021, 18:47 PM
                              • Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
                                by Lat
                                I have tried google but there is very little to show. Does anyone have a redacted example of a "Deed of Variation" that they have had to sign?

                                The criteria in my case is...

                                1. Shared Freehold flat in block of flats
                                2. Freeholder is Residents Company Ltd with...
                                04-09-2021, 11:24 AM
                              • Reply to Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
                                by Lat
                                What is wrong with the following process to register the "Deed of Varation"

                                All that is required of me is to get the "Deed of Variation" registered with the Land Registry and provide a copy of the new lease to the Company Secretary.

                                The Process.
                                22-09-2021, 12:16 PM
                              • Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
                                by Gordon999
                                The RMC has legal rights under the lease to administer the service charge account and demand annual service charge contribution from leaseholders. . It should not be dissolved because it holds the freehold title of the building.

                                If you transfer the freehold title to the leaseholders,...
                                22-09-2021, 12:05 PM
                              • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
                                by ram

                                You can't do that, as where is the money going to come from ?
                                You cant give them back the money they gave towards the RTM - as then WHO pays for the RTM legal fees ? - You ?
                                It can't come out of the service charges.
                                You can pay ONE of the Directors, say $ 500 per year to administer
                                22-09-2021, 10:03 AM