RFR Right of First Refusal Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
    If the section 5b notice is invalid the seller may pull the sale to avoid the risk of a prosecution; the auctioneer will generally refuse to auction if it is shown to them that the notices is void
    Technically the prosecution would be for a criminal offence - the prosecution would be brought by the Local Authority - although I suspect as funds are very limited, and it's not a flagrant attempt to ignore the section 5 laws and as far as I am aware there have been no prosecutions under the Act it would be highly unlikely the freeholder would be prosecuted - the Act gives a remedy to assist the injured party, which rather makes the time and cost of a criminal prosecution very unlikely - which is what you may be proposing if the sale goes ahead

So as flying freehold states the auctioneer would unless supported by a legal opinion of some standing, withdraw the property from the auction

Comment

Quick update and a caution about RFR which is a very cumbersome procedure. We managed to serve a robust 5b with signatures from all qualifying tenants which landed on the desk of the serving solicitor with four days to spare.

We wasted a good three to four weeks speaking to the houses who still believe they have an RFR (which they don't), an 'investor' from this forum whose offer quickly changed from a win-win to a win-lose for us. But more importantly, we faffed about chasing qualifying tenants for almost two months, who for a plethora of ridiculous reasons avoided communicating with us, only to come alive, collectively offering double the auction reserve/guide price with 7 days left to submit the section 6 acceptance notice.

My recommendation is, forget the circulars, emails, texts, phone calls. Instead, bang on qualifying tenant's doors whether they live on or off-site and clearly and enthusiastically explain your plans, but more importantly, keep it simple so you get your most wanted response. And do it early within the two-month period to avoid unnecessary stress.

Having saved £2k on legal costs so far we're now negotiating via a solicitor and have various contingencies mapped out should it reach auction and beyond.

Thanks all for your input.

Comment

Further update. Today we have received notice from the serving solicitor that their 5B was invalid and they will be severing the flats from the houses. Amount spent £13.50 on postage. Amount saved £2k plus. Result!

Comment

Good result . Well done .

Comment

Does anyone know where I can obtain an 8B Notice? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurino View Post
              Does anyone know where I can obtain an 8B Notice? Thanks.
              What is an 8B Notice ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Isn't there any obligation to be insured?
                by Sarah17
                Hi All,
                I recently bought a flat and learned since that the flat above is a regulated tenancy. The current tenant has moved in 1972. The flat is in a very shabby state, and I am worried about it (safety concerns, fire risk...etc). I wrote to the landlord and didn't receive any answer yet. A few...
                16-01-2022, 17:57 PM
              • Reply to Isn't there any obligation to be insured?
                by Sarah17
                Hi All, many many thanks for your answers. As it is a regulated tenancy (beginning in 1972), indeed the rent is very low, the LL is doing the minimum expecting the tenant to move. I had the opportunity to look inside, it sounds in a very bad state, but I don't know up to which point this is just a...
                23-01-2022, 17:14 PM
              • Reply to Adjoining garage roofs
                by NaomiB
                I'm afraid there is not the slightest chance that the roofs will all be done at once so that one's out. Although the flats are managed well, the garages never have been. The other garages in that block of six are owned by the freeholder. With him, it's a case of 'I won't do anything unless I can get...
                23-01-2022, 17:05 PM
              • Adjoining garage roofs
                by NaomiB
                A year ago I bought a run down garage with a leaking roof. I thought I would be able to fix it with Flashband but it was impossible. I got a new roof and door and let it out to a neighbour. The flats are managed but the garages are not.

Yesterday I got a text from the owner of the adjoining...
                10-01-2022, 07:19 AM
                by JK0
                I don't think you'll hear from your roofer, Naomi. I refer you to what I said before.

Whatever he does will be done grudgingly, even if you get trading standards involved. Do you really want him to come back to do more of the same?

As before, the roofs need all...
                23-01-2022, 16:48 PM
                by NaomiB
                I wrote to my roofer on 10 Jan but have had no reply. On Thursday my son went up to get better pictures. They show that the rubber has flapped right back and needs re-fixing. I wrote to him again on Friday but haven't had a reply. I am worried he is going to say it's wind damage but surely, with...
                23-01-2022, 16:15 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder failure to maintain
                by Babyspice
                I would suggest writing to ur MP to raise awareness on this issue. They might be able to help. U can also contact the LKP team for their opinion to see what they suggest in ur situation....
                23-01-2022, 14:59 PM
              • Freeholder failure to maintain
                by Catastrophiser2020
                What to do about a freeholder that doesn't maintain property?
                Unfortunately right to manage is not an option
                There is damage to my property due to FH failure to repair...
                22-01-2022, 20:36 PM
              • Reply to Voting Rights and Required Percentages
                by Arizona
                Thank you for your swift response.

All five leaseholders have been in residence here for 20 years. We own our own management company and have managed very well up to now because so far we've all agreed on everything. It's just that we would like an idea of the percentages just-in-case,...
                23-01-2022, 12:59 PM
              • Voting Rights and Required Percentages
                by Arizona
                Good Morning. I'm brand new to this site so I apologise if this question is in the wrong section.

My wife and I live in a self contained apartment in a converted old house. There are five apartments in total, occupied by five separate couples. We are all leaseholders and we collectively,...
                23-01-2022, 08:52 AM
              Working...
              X