Roof repairs - other leaseholders unable to pay their share?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anna1985
    replied
    1) why would resign from RTM?
    2) how many quotes did you obtain?
    3) have you informed the landlord?
    4) remind other leaseholders RTM does have a statutory duty to enforce covenants and pursue damages 5) see what the freeholder will say

Leave a comment:

• Callan1
    replied
    Maybe obtain further quotes - perhaps the source of the leak can be found and cheaper temporary repair done before the roof is replaced at a later stage

i doubt resigning from RTM company is a good long term solution.

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    Big drawback of RTM as people often think they will no longer have to spend any money, and especially for the lower flats who aren't affected by the leaks.
    You will need to consult section 20 procedure to make sure money can be collected

Leave a comment:

• eagle2
    replied
    It does not become straightforward when you create an RTM Company. Does the lease allow interest on arrears? If so, perhaps you can contribute more to cover the other leaseholders. It is best to reach an amicable solution with the other leaseholders and suggesting that the others take out a loan as suggested by Gordon is one possibility.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    The RTM company ( not the freeholder ) has the legal right to demand service charge payment from the leaseholders. The Director of the RTM has to issue demands for payment and collect the money .

If the leaseholders have no savings money , suggest they borrow the money by taking an unsecured loan from Sainsbury Bank/Tesco Bank and repay loan over 5-7 years.

Leave a comment:

• Roof repairs - other leaseholders unable to pay their share?

Hi all. I am a landlord who owns a leasehold property in a three apartment building. My property is the top floor flat. It experienced several leaks over the last 12 months, culminating with a roofer giving an estimate for repairs at £10,000. Our leasehold means that each leaseholder pays an equal share. I have the money for my share but the other two leaseholders are dragging their feet - citing COVID-19. Meanwhile, my tenants, as you can imagine, are getting frustrated with the leaking roof. All leaseholders won the right to manage the property last year. What should me next step be if the other leaseholders don't signal they will pay their share? Should I resign from the right to manage company and notify the freeholder? Is the freeholder legally obliged to pay for the works and then pursue the non-paying leaseholders? All advice welcome, thanks.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X