Defending alleged breaches of covenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defending alleged breaches of covenant

Small, mixed use building, inexperienced/broke FH. Frustrated LHs as no maintenance has taken place for years. FH's daughter now involved and things are getting messy/expensive very quickly!

Solicitor's letters received just before Xmas - FH is alleging various breaches of covenants by both LHs. LHs don't agree with any of these, and letters riddled with errors.
    LHs have worked through lease and documents extensively, pulling out relevant parts.
    Have consulted solicitor and got quote for helping bat them back in the right way - £1500 between both properties, and we don't really seem to gain much as no progress sorting out building, just money spent on legal fees defending nonsense allegations.

So, if we chose to respond ourselves, how much detail is needed to 'prove' points? For example, first one is that LHs have breached covenant by not clearing/repairing gutters, FH saying gutters/downpipes 'exclusively serve' each apartment, therefore for LH to maintain. However, gutters do not exclusively serve each apartment - they take water from communal roof for benefit of all in building etc so should be FH's responsibility to maintain via service charge.

If we say this, and FH disagrees, where do we go from there? Is it for the FH to 'prove' his case?

Basically, we have to work out what to spend money on, and what we handle ourselves, and also trying to avoid getting the bill for FH legal fees regarding the alleged breaches. Thankfully LH are working together and sharing costs, but still not a good situation...

You are a leaseholder in the mixed use building and obviously wanting the maintenance work done for your building. The freeholder is not willing to provide the maintenance and you are asking what can be done ?.

The national average payment for annual service charge is about £1800 per flat and you could be paying this amount every year if you were living in another block of flats. You have been quoted £1500 for legal advice but you think it may not be be well spent money.

So you and the other leaseholder should consider arranging the maintenance work and paying the suppliers direct and sharing the costs. You can place this work direct with local supplier for replacing plastic gutters and downpipes, and for periodic external painting. Its better not to waste your time and effort on arguing with freeholder.

Also keep a record of the work and payments . Keep the receipts for up to 6 years.

Comment

Please don’t open many threads regarding the same subject. If I remember rightly, there is a restaurant below the 2 apartments. The lease should define the extent of your liability. If you cannot agree, it is better to suggest mediation or arbitration in order to avoid legal costs. If it goes to court, the freeholder would have to prove his/her claim and that would normally be by reference to the lease.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
        by SSLA91
        Hi all,

Long time lurker of this forum and recent new member. Have always found the forum incredibly helpful so thank you! Have now got an issue with our freeholder that I could use some specific advice on (have tried searching for similar posts but to no avail).

We have recently...
        20-10-2021, 20:28 PM
      • Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
        by eagle2
        It makes you wonder why any freeholder should comply with s20 at all. As you say, it can wait to see if any leaseholder challenges the costs. It does not even need to explain why it did not comply with s20, the only consideration appears to be whether or not the leaseholders suffered any financial prejudice,...
        23-10-2021, 06:34 AM
      • Section 20 notice
        by Starlane
        Hello I would welcome input on the following:
        Two roofs feed into a valley, the valley is in need of repair, this is a shared responsibility and therefore a shared cost. so how do we issue a section 20 notice when really we need the consent and agreement from two different buildings/landlords...
        22-10-2021, 19:09 PM
      • Reply to Section 20 notice
        by Starlane
        Hi Macromia thank you as always for your helpful and sensible input.. one building is saying one thing and another building the other, the usual chinese whispers so I took the bull by the horns and spoke to everyone and I am almost there apart from a Director who wants to do their own thing ( not being...
        22-10-2021, 20:57 PM
      • Reply to Share of freehold questions - confused
        by Starlane
        Agree thank you...
        22-10-2021, 20:52 PM
      • Share of freehold questions - confused
        by sixunforced
        Not sure if this is the right place for this query but anyway, I'm a first time buyer and have been searching for a property for like two years now (not continuously but on and off and obv covid halted my search for a while). I found a really nice 2 bedroom flat for under £320,000 in a block of around...
        18-11-2020, 21:19 PM
      • Reply to Section 20 notice
        by Macromia
        Assuming that the two freeholders have agreed that they will work together and share the costs, they jointly agree what needs to be communicated to the leaseholders and then each freeholder writes to the leaseholders in their building.
        22-10-2021, 20:16 PM
      • Freeholder threatening to cut water off
        by Disraeli-LLH
        I was hoping you would be able to help. We own a ground floor flat LLH(970 yrs remaining). The freeholder owns the house and lets the flat upstairs on an AST.

The freeholder currently undertaking works including replumbing. We have been on a shared water supply and we connect through their...
        20-10-2021, 15:35 PM
      • Reply to Freeholder threatening to cut water off
        by Macromia
        This is possibly by far the most important consideration, in my opinion.
        If the OP's lease doesn't allow 'improvements' to be charged to service charges, the freeholder cannot require them to contribute anything towards the costs, and would therefore be something that they would have had no choice...
        22-10-2021, 20:08 PM
      • Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
        by Macromia
        Possibly...

Although when my freeholder applied for dispensation a while back (arguing that the proposed work had to be carried out as a matter of urgency) they were granted dispensation with the First Tier Tribunal commenting that the 2013 Supreme Court Case of Daejan versus Benson meant...
        22-10-2021, 19:51 PM
      Working...
      X