Sinking Fund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sinking Fund

I am a tenant in a small residential block.

The Landlord consists of a company owned by some of the flats in the block.

Recently there have been some sales meaning a change in the Landlord.

They lately went to the LVT for a decison on certain matters lift repairs, establishing sinking fund.

The Tribunal found that they could levy for lift repairs and sinking fund.

One of the tenants is resisting tooth and nail and will only pay out under court order so that tenants's contribution for the lift repairs and the sinking fund has not been recovered.

Another tenant sadly died so his contribution for the lift repairs and the sinking fund has not been recovered.

This leaves a large shortfall for the lift repairs and the company has no assets save for the funds received from the tenants by way of service charge.

The directors refuse to tell anyone what is going on and while they are clearly trying to recover the outstandings due under the LVT award they are incurring legal costs and continually asking for contributions.

However my real question is that the only way I can see that the lift repairs can be paid for is is the directors use the sinking fund contributions which worries me considerably since I dont see why the sinking fund collected for a specific purpose can be used for another purpose.

In fact this has happened already since the legal fees of going to the LVT were enormous and the directors seem to have paid them out of funds not raised for that purpose.

1. Explain re ownership. What does your third paragraph mean?
    2. How is f/r company owned by some (but not all) of the lessees?
    3. Do leases make explicit provision re sinking fund?
    4. Recovery costs re unpaid service charge should be demanded from defaulting lessee, not from service charge funded by all lessees.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

The five large flats own as shareholders the Landlord who owns the freehold and have a right to be appoint a director.

Recently two of the large flats changed hands and one of the new owners has persuaded the other new owner and an exisiting owner that the whole block needs upgrading.

Nothing in lease about sinking fund.

However as said of the nine leases only five contribute to the lift.

As a matter of trust it would seem that the sinking funds cannot be used in the short term to fund the lift repairs. The sinking fund for other repairs should presumably be used solely for that purpose.

The Landlord collects funds on the basis of the service charge and holds the funds collected on trust see section 42 of the LTA 1987. How exactly do you think you define the trust obligations.

Wade

Comment

What does lease say re who pays towards lift? Is it all nine, or only the five (probably upstairs), on whom the covenant is placed?
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

only the five of which i am one

Comment

For differential service charge schemes, as in your case, it's always clearer if L sets-up two separate service charges/ accounts. That for the lift would then be segregated from that for the rest, and I wonder why your leases don't contain this sort of segregation.

Comment

As much as we may wonder that is the situation.

However for those tenants who dont have to contribute to the lift presumably since the Landlord holds their funds on trust as a basic principle this trust must mean they do not use their funds to pay for the lift repairs when they have been contributed only towards the sinking fund.

Also the director who now deals with the legal aspect and the finance and the lift repair is the tenant who agitated for the new lift and has the flat at the top and the lift into his flat is restricted to him.

So he obviously wants the lift asap

As a matter of common sense though the Landlord must not use funds received from some tenants for one purpose for another purpose.

This also relates back to paying the legal fees for the LVT.

The LVT said the Landlord had to pay the legal fees out of their own pocket and then recover from the tenants who could object because of bad management. Before the LVT they actually paid the lawyers out of funds of the company. Funds contributed by tenants who had no interests in the lift. Again common sense tells me that at the very least that was dangerous. The tenants who this really affects dont seem to be that concerned although unhappy about the continuing large service charge.

Comment

Originally posted by wade View Post
                As a matter of common sense though the Landlord must not use funds received from some tenants for one purpose for another purpose.
                Is that so, however? We have established that there is unfortunately only one service charge and only one 'pot', which makes me think that funds in hand can be used for ANY lawful purpose consistent with the lease and with the f/r's service obligations.

Comment

Though, perhaps there are grounds for an application to the LVT to vary the lease as the lease fails to make satisfactory provision with regard to the repair or maintenance of: the flat in question; or the building containing the flat; or any other land or building let to the tenant under the lease, or in respect of which rights are conferred on him or her under it (section 35 (2)(a)) of LTA 1987).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                    Is that so, however? We have established that there is unfortunately only one service charge and only one 'pot', which makes me think that funds in hand can be used for ANY lawful purpose consistent with the lease and with the f/r's service obligations.
                    At many sites having a mix of houses and flats , the one service charge account is usually managed with separately identified "estate charge " for external cost such as garden and car parking lighting and "block charge " for maintenance work of the block.( internal cleaning , hallway lighting ,insurance etc,

So "houses" pay "estate charge" only and flats pay "estate charge + block charge". A similar arrangement of " Block charge " and "Lift charge " could be charged within the one service charge account . i.e 2 pots in one account.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
                      by Flatman78
                      Thanks Gordon999

You can see from above reply to Macromia that's your comment wouldn't be relevant to me. there is no managing agent. It's just me (FH) and LH in upstairs flat.
                      Thanks for taking time to reply though....
                      23-05-2022, 20:29 PM
                    • S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
                      by Flatman78
                      Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
                      with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
                      23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
                    • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
                      by Flatman78
                      Thanks Macromia, I'm hoping not to have to request quotes to include extra 'contingency' as I know some building materials literally jumped by up to 80% pretty much overnight and so I / we could end up paying a hell of a lot more than we have to go with a 'protective' quote.

It's only me...
                      23-05-2022, 20:27 PM
                    • RTM Hand Over Issues
                      by martin15
                      RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
                      Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
                      23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
                    • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
                      by ash72
                      You could sue the other company for the money owed.
                      23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
                    • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
                      by Hudson01
                      I am clearly no expert but i think this statement from the all knowing WWW appears to fit the bill for what has happened to you.................

'' Fraud can be broadly defined as the deliberate use of deception or dishonesty to disadvantage or cause loss (usually financial) to another...
                      23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
                    • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
                      by Gordon999
                      You could show the last service charge demanded by previous managing agent . There should be a final summary of the service charge account.to show the unspent funds.
                      23-05-2022, 18:26 PM
                    • Old managing agents accounts
                      by jazzythumper
                      Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
                      20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
                    • Reply to Building works & S20 process
                      by Macromia
                      Good questions.
                      The fact that the cost of work means that Section 20 consultation is required doesn't necessarily mean that it is major work that will require a project manager and, although most leases will contain clauses that allow the cost of project management to be recovered from leaseholders,...
                      23-05-2022, 18:23 PM
                    • Building works & S20 process
                      by RichA
                      Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
                      21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
                    Working...
                    X