Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder refusing to co-operate with the RTM and with leaseholder's sales

Hello

I'm a long time lurker and have tried to read through all the relevant threads, but apologies if this is going over old ground.

I bought a flat in 2005, in a small converted block. Pretty soon we had issues with the freeholder doing very little to keep the property in shape, and some of the flats began to have disputes with him - so a few years ago we formed an RTM. We have a solid budget in place, are transparent with spending, and have been successfully building a sinking fund for larger works.

The freeholder retains ownership of one of the flats which he rents out. Since the RTM was formed, he has paid a small amount every month towards the service charge - but it's well below what everyone else is paying and he is building up arrears.

A couple of flats are trying to sell, and although he is perfectly polite in the phone - he ignores all letters and emails regarding the sales (such as requests for statements of ground rent) - and this has cost a number of flats their sales - as he's obviously being uncooperative so buyers run a mile.

In an effort to try and move forward, I have had several calls and email conversations to try and create a better relationship with him, show him our budgets in detail and and negotiate his share of the monthly service charge; I have had the same result - he basically appears cooperative - and then goes silent.

He appears to be wasting our time, and is also costing us money. It feels personal, although he claims he's glad to have the maintenance off his mind. It's bizarre.

To be honest, I am getting quite anxious about it all, as his behaviour is odd, and is making the flats unsaleable, so I wondered where we would stand on legal action - one buyer has now lost 2 sales at a cost of about £6,000 to him.

I was really hoping we could move forward without litigation but sadly I think it may be unavoidable.

Thanks in advance!

Why don't you consider purchasing the freehold interest? If the freeholder has no involvement in the management, he may be willing to sell or you may qualify under the enfranchisement rules.

Comment

Thanks - I’ll look into that! I did ask him if he was interested in that and he said he didn’t want to - but if we have a right to I’ll get advice on it! 😊

Comment

If any leaseholder is persistent in staying in arrears of service charge payment, the RTM should use the "small claims court" to claims the arrears + court fee.

Comment

Your idea of avoiding legal action is very wise, the small claims court could refer the case to the FTT and before you know it, you could have a full scale enquiry into 6 years service charges. The simplest solution is to purchase the freehold and you can then deduct what is owing from the purchase price,

Comment

Obtaining the freehold is probably your best way forward.

Have a look at lease-advice.org if you haven't already done so. Look at 'collective enfranchisement'.

Comment

Thanks all. We have had such a range of issues with leasehold, I would avoid it at all costs in future. I just feels like an area of poor legislation, open to complete abuse. Never again! :-)

Comment

Unfortunately leases are open to abuse and some people exploit them at every opportunity. The legislation does not work, the main offenders are well known to the courts and tribunals and MPs turn a blind eye.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
                  by flyingfreehold
                  In practice what will happen is that the solicitors dealing with the estate will write to you for confirmation that no money is due under the lease, and they will pay you because a buyer will want to take the flat clear of arrears.
                  17-04-2021, 17:31 PM
                • Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
                  by Anna_A
                  Hi,
                  I have done a bit of research, but I am still not sure where it is best to start so hoping for a few pointers with outstanding service charges.

I'm a freeholder of a converted house. I recently sent a letter of claim to the leaseholder for non-payment of service charges, advising...
                  16-04-2021, 07:36 AM
                • Reply to Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
                  by Anna_A
                  Thanks to each of you for your help. I had thought that perhaps there would be a process for the executor to follow with the small claims court in the event of someone passing away rather than obviously pursuing with a deceased person. Jon66, thanks for the article, really helpful, and for all your...
                  17-04-2021, 09:51 AM
                • Reply to Understanding a lease
                  by Lawcruncher
                  The Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 allows you to apply to the court for access rights, but only for carrying out repairs and not for carrying out improvements....
                  17-04-2021, 07:35 AM
                • Understanding a lease
                  by Pattyb
                  Can anyone tell me what this means and how much ground rent is to be paid and when ?

TIA

To hold the demised premises unto the Lease from the nineteenth day of December One thousand nine hundred and fifty-four for the term of nine hundred and ninety-nine years yielding and...
                  10-04-2021, 21:29 PM
                • Reply to Money Claim Online
                  by Sherry7
                  Having a Court Judgement proving the FH has breached the lease is great but can that potentially put buyers off? It might well put me off buying a property knowing the FH is negligent. Seems everything a leaseholder does to try and remedy a problem then has a 'black mark' against them when trying to...
                  17-04-2021, 07:15 AM
                • Money Claim Online
                  by Sherry7
                  Has anyone used this Money Claim Online to make a claim of a freeholder to carry out some maintenance? The form looks impressive and could save on legal fees if it works. Any input appreciated. Thanks
                  14-04-2021, 16:11 PM
                • Reply to Understanding a lease
                  by Pattyb
                  Aside from getting consent from the freeholder to build in the loft, the neighbors downstairs said they would not allow any scaffolding to be put on their land. They own the front, side and back gardens, which is in their lease, it is not shared so I guess it would be classed as trespassing.
                  17-04-2021, 07:09 AM
                • Reserve Fund charge for wooden cladding replacement
                  by DP64
                  Hi, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but didn't find anything when searching.

I lease a top floor, one bedroom flat in a 3 storey purpose built block. I've just received a bill of £636 for the 'Reserve Fund' for this block. In early March I received a letter from the management...
                  11-04-2021, 19:30 PM
                • Reply to Reserve Fund charge for wooden cladding replacement
                  by philg
                  thanks DP for posting this , i saw a third floor flat with minimal wooden cladding and wondered if it would make a good investment . it seemed to ` stick ` on the market and this maybe explains why . many flats here have wooden balconies but not been able to suss out if folks having trouble getting...
                  16-04-2021, 17:47 PM
                Working...
                X