query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

query

so in a development where there are blocks of flats, the freeholder (F) owns the actual land, the landlord (L) built the blocks of flats on the land and lease out to leaseholders (LH) of each block. If the ground rent is being paid directly from LH to the F, how on earth does the L make any money themselves?

Management of the properties through the service charge . . .

Comment

By selling the leases for vast amounts of money ?

Comment

Both the above
        a) When they sold the leases
        b) Via thievery through the usual service charges route (backhanders, commissions, somehow appointing themselves or friends as agents, appointing lawyers who charge massive fees for delayed payments and then taking their cut..... and so on). Very lucrative and is all theft.

Comment

they employ management co to do this so don't make any money through service charges. in any event i thought the service charges covered the maintenance etc so wouldn't make much from this anyway?

Comment

also i get that they sold the leases, but that was prob over 50 years ago so why bother to be involved now if they aren't getting any further monies?

Comment

I already explained - kickbacks are big business

Comment

interesting

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Balcony repairs - lease issue
                  by Lawcruncher
                  It is not really possible to answer your question without knowing exactly what your lease says, please quote in full:

The "parcels" that is the part which describes what is included and (possibly) excluded.
                  The tenant's repairing obligations
                  The landlord's...
                  05-07-2022, 22:20 PM
                • Balcony repairs - lease issue
                  by Jones666
                  Hi, new poster here, legal ignoramus. We live on the middle floor of a three story building (i.e. the British first floor), freehold jointly held as individual leases by all owners equally and managed by a residents' committee who employ estate managers. We and the flat above have balconies which are...
                  05-07-2022, 11:13 AM
                • Responsibility on my freehold
                  by paul woodford
                  I am joint freeholder with the property upstairs and have had issues with our roof leaking. After many repairs paying my 50% to the cost, the upstairs owner has decided to extend into the loft space and onto 50% of the flat roof at the back. I thought this would reduce the cost to me to the front of...
                  05-07-2022, 20:44 PM
                • Property Purchase - Environment Search came back with....
                  by John2005
                  Hi all. I have a question that was not linked to the same subject as my other topic so I figured it would make sense to create a new topic for this one.

I'm in the process of purchasing a flat and I have seen on one of the searches 'Environment' one to be specific - state "Further...
                  04-07-2022, 02:40 AM
                • Reply to Property Purchase - Environment Search came back with....
                  by Tipper
                  For ground contamination you would be better to seek out a hydrogeologist as they deal with ground water and contamination issues and its remediation. Much of their work is desk research and then followed by any necessary on site tests.

It is likely that full site tests and necessary clean-up...
                  05-07-2022, 19:05 PM
                  by Sydaton
                  It sounds to me that the Estate Managers are wrong. From what you say, the balcony is exactly that, a balcony, it might be an extension of the downstairs ceiling but at the moment it passes through the wall it becomes your balcony. And, from what you say, you are responsible for its repair.
                  05-07-2022, 12:40 PM
                  by royw
                  Can 'ceiling' apply to something outside the property? Seems a bit of stretch to me. Suggest you post the relevant part of the lease.
                  05-07-2022, 12:23 PM
                  by JK0
                  It should be a certain proportion of the total cost, surely? I don't see how you can apportion different amounts to different flats.
                  05-07-2022, 11:34 AM
                  by AndrewDod
                  It is going to depend on the exact wording of the lease (definitions of things like "building" and so on). There is no external rule....
                  05-07-2022, 11:22 AM
                • Reply to Missing joint freeholder in 2x flat block, able to to gain share of freehold?
                  by JonRo15
                  Thanks vmart...the other leaseholder/freeholder is desperate to sell her flat, as well and the part of the freehold. She is unable to sell/extend lease/transfer title without the missing freeholder, as there was no Declaration of Trust or similar in place. There is no company, just two individuals....
                  05-07-2022, 08:56 AM
                Working...
                X