X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danf_21
    replied
    Hi again everyone,

So it turns out the £750 was the fee to draft the Retrospective Licence to Alter. The actual they they are charging me is £3,500. This is outrageous.

We challenged them stating this is surely a typo as the £750 more than covers everything, their response was:

ӣ750 was the costs to produce the License to Alter.

£3500 is not a premium. We are advised that these are the costs of the Freeholder in relation to the document which needs to be paid by your client. This covers them to review, examine and approve the document. They will require this prior to execution of the document.”

For reference the managing agent and freeholder both reside at the same address when I checked Companies House. Pretty sure it’s the same family.

Can anyone advise what I can do? As I really need to exchange and complete by the 18th Dec.

Thanks very much

Leave a comment:

• danf_21
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your help. I think I’ll just have to pay it and will then follow up with my solicitor afterwards regarding any possible recover.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Unless the lease specifically lays out how consent has to be requested or given, there's no reason for retrospective permission to be required.

On the other hand, the Managing Agent has you over a barrel, and are, from the looks of it, being screwed over.
    But the freeholder and agent have no incentive to back down and you, from the sound of it, need this sorted to sell.

So I suspect you're in the right, but may have to just suck it up (and move on).

I'd talk to your solicitor about how you might recover the fees once you are no longer in the weaker position.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    Has the managing agent given a reason for this? Do they think that the emails you have from the first freeholder don't legally constitute consent to alter or are they saying that you need a second consent from the new freeholder? If its the latter I can't see that they would have a case as I think that the new freeholder would have 'stepped into the shoes' of the previous one and therefore have no basis to challenge previous consent.

Leave a comment:

• danf_21
    replied
    Thanks, I’ve already spoken with lease-advice, they weren’t that helpful unfortunately. Just want to get the place sold so can buy a freehold and not have to deal with this sort of issue again.

My solicitor challenged them on the point you made, but hasn’t changed their stance.

Leave a comment:

• ash72
    replied
    You wont have any recourse on the fees, but the retrospective licence seems strange, and ask them where in the deeds or contract they can go back and charge for something which previously was granted.

I would also contact https://www.lease-advice.org/ or other organisation to get a second opinion. Also to avoid your sale falling through sell up and move on.

Leave a comment:

• danf_21
    started a topic Retrospective Licence to Alter - New Freeholder

Retrospective Licence to Alter - New Freeholder

Hi,

I’m a leaseholder in the process of selling a flat I purchased in 2015. After purchasing the property I had new double glazed windows put in. I asked the Managing Agent what process to follow and they advised an email confirmation of consent from the Freeholder would be sufficient. They provided this after I forward the plans of the new windows.

in 2017, the Freeholder and Managing Agent changed. On selling the property, the new Managing Agent has stated I need a Retrospective Licence to Alter as Freeholder consent has not been given. I’ve forwarded the historical emails showing previous consent, but they are not budging!

The total costs I have incurred to the Managing Agent in the sale are:

Management Pack: £750
    Licence to Assign: £200
    Deed of Covenant: £300
    Retrospective Licence to Alter: £750

I feel like I’m being completely screwed over here, as did everything at the time the previous Managing Agent advised.

My solicitor has tried discussing with them, but they are not budging. Do I have any way of legally challenging these fees?

Thanks in advance.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Directors of rmc have breached the s.24 tribunal order to hand over management
    by eagle2
    1 The directors cannot recover all their loans unless they can collect monies from you. They do not appear to have the power to charge you now that the manager has been appointed. What does the FTT order say?
    2 It should not take long to calculate how much has been disallowed by the FTT and there...
    06-03-2021, 06:59 AM
  • Directors of rmc have breached the s.24 tribunal order to hand over management
    by SHill
    Hi

Can someone give me advise. I have been successful at First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) to Appoint a Manager Pursuant to S.24 LTA 1987. The Tribunal appointed a manger but the Directors of the RMC (Respondent) has not comply to handover the information by June 2020.
    26-01-2021, 14:15 PM
  • A few right to manage (RTM) questions
    by charlie8899
    Hi — based on unsatisfactory building management, I’m in the early stages of looking at forming a right to manage company for the building I live in with 65 residential units (a mix of private, affordable and shared ownership). I have a few questions and would appreciate someone’s help:
    • I understand
    15-02-2021, 07:37 AM
  • Reply to A few right to manage (RTM) questions
    by charlie8899
    Just following up on this thread. I have learnt that affordable flats don't count as "qualifying tenants", however, I still need 50% of the flats to participate. In my case, with 15 affordable flats in a building of 65, this means I need closer to 70% of the total flats to participate which...
    06-03-2021, 06:22 AM
  • Residential Management Company Problems
    by Chimaera5
    Hi all, looking for some helpful advice as always.

I rent out a leasehold property which has a resident run management company. The main director of the RMC and i do not get on, she does not approve of my tenants because "they do not fit in".

The problem is that i...
    17-02-2012, 19:45 PM
  • Reply to Residential Management Company Problems
    by Vera Summers
    I have become secretary of our RMC as our last secretary died, so had to learn a lot as he didnt getcaround to show all the responsibilties of the job.
    I have a leaseholder that does not stick to his lease been renting his flat out on airbnb whike he moves out,had a few problems with his clients...
    06-03-2021, 05:38 AM
  • Reply to New Leasehold Legislation
    by Macromia
    I agree - although I think that councils and "fellow majority lessees in RTMs/RMCs" are more likely to be poor freeholders purely because they can't be held to account as easily as independent private freeholders (not that the latter is always easy!).

This is one of the worrying...
    05-03-2021, 22:36 PM
  • New Leasehold Legislation
    by Sherry7
    Just heard about this and wonder if anyone knows if and when it will come into effect? I have also heard it could take years to be finalised. Thank you.
    05-03-2021, 07:40 AM
  • Lease silent on Administration Charges
    by sumptners
    I have owned a shop let under a commercial lease with a flat over sold on a long lease. The lease of the flat has provision for the leaseholder to pay a proportion of repairs to roof, structure etc. I have managed the property myself for 35 years but due to my age and increasing queries from the flat...
    04-03-2021, 11:46 AM
  • Reply to Lease silent on Administration Charges
    by Macromia
    "Admin charges" and 'managing agent fees' are not the same thing.

Whether you can include managing agents fees as service charges will depend on the precise wording of the lease, but it might be possible if the wording in the lease allows for all of the costs of managing the building...
    05-03-2021, 22:28 PM
Working...
X