X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tribunal decision on lease extension premiums

Dear all
    Probably a stupid question, but here we go:
    If I suggest a reasonable premium in my offer to extent my lease, the freeholder suggest their price, we go to the tribunal and they judge it is close to the freeholder's price. Do I then have to extend my lease, or can I withdraw (covering the freeholder's costs of course). I think probably the former but perhaps not?

Regards
    Aurora

You can withdraw at anytime but have to pay certain aspects of the landlords costs - but not all and not the landlords costs of attending the Tribunal.

Comment

Yes you can withdraw but you'd need to be a total muppet. Just get proper valuation carried out.
      It would though make sense for legislation to be reciprocal so freeholders could indeed force lessees to extend. Could help with CGT planning.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
        by sgclacy
        The government’s proposals which could impact favourably to you would be the abolishing of marriage value. However, this will of course be a matter of significant push back from the great estates in London and other large landlords holding reversionary leases.

A key element in the calculation...
        24-01-2021, 13:31 PM
      • Negotiating a lease extension
        by LizLease
        Hi all, I am new to the forum.
        I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
        I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
        I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
        21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
      • Reply to Group Freeholder wants to replace new windows unnecessarily - what to do?
        by Boab
        Thank you each for your help apologies took a while to get back, the follow the thread option I ticked didn’t notify me or I messed up more likely!

I will pass on your comments to her .

Cheers ...
        24-01-2021, 11:29 AM
      • Group Freeholder wants to replace new windows unnecessarily - what to do?
        by Boab
        Hi all

This is a request for help for my partner who is the long term leaseholder on a ground floor flat/maisonette in a detached house owned by a large group.

The freeholder is demanding all the double glazing be replaced at a cost IRO £8000. My partner simply cannot afford...
        21-01-2021, 14:33 PM
      • Reply to Forfeiture clause meaning
        by flyingfreehold
        Costs would be payable if the 146 notice is served.
        24-01-2021, 11:00 AM
      • Forfeiture clause meaning
        by Encima
        The lessee shall pay all expenses and costs incurred by the lessor incidental to the preparation and service of a notice under section 146 notwithstanding forfeiture is avoided otherwise than releif by the court.

Does this mean that if forfeiture releif were to be granted by a court then...
        24-01-2021, 10:43 AM
      • Pet consent
        by Nat1178
        Hi, I don’t know why but my previous post was unapproved. SO let me repost this topic.

I just exchanged the contact for a leasehold property. The freeholder’s agent is {Name removed}.

My lease requires freeholder’s consent for keeping a pet. I have a cat and need consent...
        12-12-2020, 10:05 AM
      • Reply to Pet consent
        by eagle2
        mydeposits is recommending that reasonable pet clauses are inserted within tenancy agreements and it seems a matter of time before no pets clauses within leases are considered unreasonable but meanwhile the recent case Victory Place Management Company Ltd v Kuehn & Anor [2018] EWHC 132 (Ch) (30...
        24-01-2021, 07:08 AM
      • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
        by flyingfreehold
        If you can reach an agreement with your freeholder all well and good. It is extremely expensive to go to Tribunal so no one really wins except the professional advisors fortunate enough to be hired. If you are pushed from 11.5k to 15k it is still okay in the scheme of things rather than be stuck for...
        23-01-2021, 19:55 PM
      • Freeholder delaying flat sale
        by spinner99
        My son has a top floor leasehold flat and is in the process of selling it. The process was going well until the purchaser pointed out that the lease plan did not match the actual flat (mainly the garden which had been divided by a fence up the garden middle rather than across it).This was not spotted...
        23-01-2021, 14:05 PM
      Working...
      X