Can the residents management company which I run, extend the leasehold for my flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The freeholder doesn't need a solicitor. But I strongly suggest that you get unanimous agreement and extend the whole lot equally.

Comment

I would suggest you could proceed by :

1. Getting valuation for your flat from 2 or 3 estate agents who might be appointed to sell your flat based on ( a) 69 years lease ( as now) and (b) 159 years lease at Peppercorn GR after statutory 90 year lease extension. There may show 10% difference in value. .

2. Getting quotes from 2 or 3 solicitors for lease extension work for ( a) one flat to 159 years lease only and ( b) all 4 flats extended at same time. Based on changing the existing lease from 69 years to 159 years ( or longer to 999 years lease ) and no premium charged for lease extension. Assume 1 solicitor can be found willing to act for both sides due to Nil Premium ).

3. The difference in price ( between 69 years and 159 years ) will be around 10%, Say £10K

4. The solicitor costs may be quoted at £750 ( one flat) and £2000 ( 4 flats at same time ) - I am guessing figures.

5. When the lease falls below 70 years, its difficult to get a mortgage. So should be easy to get agreement for all to extend together.

Comment

Originally posted by umshamrock View Post
        Thanks for the messages, all. We have notified the other directors to see if they would like to extend their leaseholds at the same time. We all own equal shares of the freehold and all of our leases expire at the same time, in 69 years. Everyone paid an equal amount when the company acquired the freehold. I have spoken to a couple of solicitors and have been told the freehold needs a different solicitor than the leasehold so we'll have to pay for two solicitors! This just seems crazy since we are only dealing with ourselves, and the three other owners who all work together regularly.
        The company can indeed grant you a 999 years lease at a peppercorn but at the same time must grant an option to the other three lessees giving them the right to call for a lease extension on the same terms. That option must be capable of registration against the freehold title and your solicitor will need to draft it and register it against the title

Comment

Are you still paying ground rent under the terms of your lease, even though you also own a share of the freehold? Assuming there are several shareholders, then you as a director seem to have a conflict of interest, especially as the length of the lease might create marriage value. I would suggest another director to deal with this on behalf of the freehold company, involving an independent surveyor to determine the fee and then get shareholder agreement in an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM). You seem conflicted in this scenario to act in the best interest of the majority of shareholders.

We are setting up a freehold company, and anticipate a comparable scenario, where we even consider issuing different classes of shares, to ensure a leaseholder does not have a vote when it comes to the premium to extend his own lease.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Value of freehold
            by Sunshinesetter
            I need to put a value on the freehold for selling but have no idea if it is worth much if anything.It is for 3 flats with peppercorn ground rent and a total of service charges of £500 pa.The leases are for apx just over 980 years each.Sink fund is just over £600 and after insurance has to be repaid...
            04-03-2021, 14:07 PM
          • Reply to Value of freehold
            by Section20z
            It's only value is insurance commissions and management charges, licences etc but we would need to know what lease says, but definitely more than £300 as it would bring that in annually purely on insurance commision.
            No idea why your solicitor would want the value but best stick it in an auction...
            04-03-2021, 15:38 PM
          • Removing RMC Directors
            by Focus
            Hi
            I would appreciate some advice on the comms to start the ball rolling on this process. We had 4 directors of our RMC, 1 stepped aside last year when moving out although that hasn't been communicated to anyone and the remaining three refuse to engage with the other residents, they rarely answer...
            04-03-2021, 14:56 PM
          • Reply to Value of freehold
            by Gordon999
            The value of the freehold title is based on the ground rent income and may only be a "nominal amount" if all are on peppercorn ground rent. The 3 flat owners should contribute £100 each and buy the freehold from you.

The unspent service charge money belong to the leaseholders...
            04-03-2021, 14:21 PM
          • Directors of rmc have breached the s.24 tribunal order to hand over management
            by SHill
            Hi

Can someone give me advise. I have been successful at First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) to Appoint a Manager Pursuant to S.24 LTA 1987. The Tribunal appointed a manger but the Directors of the RMC (Respondent) has not comply to handover the information by June 2020.
            26-01-2021, 14:15 PM
          • Reply to Directors of rmc have breached the s.24 tribunal order to hand over management
            by eagle2
            You are not an officer of the RMC, therefore you do not have the authority to instruct an accountant, If the point is that Company expenses are not service charge items, then the RMC is not dormant. it has expenditure which it has been unable to recover and it has a deficit, You should check your lease...
            04-03-2021, 12:54 PM
          • Lease silent on Administration Charges
            by sumptners
            I have owned a shop let under a commercial lease with a flat over sold on a long lease. The lease of the flat has provision for the leaseholder to pay a proportion of repairs to roof, structure etc. I have managed the property myself for 35 years but due to my age and increasing queries from the flat...
            04-03-2021, 11:46 AM
          • Reply to Lease silent on Administration Charges
            by Anna1985
            Hi, in my experience I was advised that while we can appoint an agent, the leaseholder would have a defence of lease not allowing it and basically there would be anything to compel him to pay.

The way forward in our case was an RTM process. In which case, the management agent fees would...
            04-03-2021, 12:09 PM
          • Reply to Garage door responsibility and the lease
            by Minimonkey
            Small update. I spoke to a solicitor in a free chat about this and she kindly looked over the lease. She said that because the garage door and frames isn’t mentioned in the landlord’s covenant’ of repairs etc the service charge won’t cover it. There’s a schedule that says the service charge...
            04-03-2021, 10:07 AM
          • Garage door responsibility and the lease
            by Minimonkey
            Hello I have an enquiry about the terms of the lease regarding garage doors. One of the residents wants a dent in their garage door replaced from the service charge but I am not sure if the garage door is their responsibility as opposed to the freeholders responsibility to fix it. Is the garage door...
            02-03-2021, 09:29 AM
          Working...
          X