Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offer to purchase head lease

Hi there

I own long leasehold of a flat and the two other long leaseholders in the building and I were recently served a notice with an offer to purchase the head lease from the immediate landlord for £9,900.

As far as I am aware, our immediate landlord is a limited company whose only activity is owning the head lease. Any idea why this entity might be selling the headlease?

What should I be thinking about in considering whether to accept the offer?

Thanks very much

Your head lease will receive your ground rent and out of that pays a ground rent to the freeholder . The difference between the two is his profit assuming the ground rent he pays to the freehold Is less than he receives

Comment

Thanks for that. I've checked the headlease, and rather than being defined as any set amount, the Ground Rent due to the ultimate landlord is defined as "the ground rents received from time to time by the Tenant from the tenants of the Residential Unit Leases"

I wonder, do you think it means that if we purchased the headlease, we could amend our leases to reduce the ground rent?

Comment

I believe that if you buy the freehold collectively instead then the head lease 'disappears'.

You still remain leaseholders but you will own the freehold through shares in a freehold company and can decide your own destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by lek28 View Post
          Thanks for that. I've checked the headlease, and rather than being defined as any set amount, the Ground Rent due to the ultimate landlord is defined as "the ground rents received from time to time by the Tenant from the tenants of the Residential Unit Leases"

I wonder, do you think it means that if we purchased the headlease, we could amend our leases to reduce the ground rent?
          In which case the net rent receivable by the head lessor is nil. So unless the term of your lease is short and the head lessors lease is very long ( i.e. making him the competent landlord) then the head lease is worth very little

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Group Freeholder wants to replace new windows unnecessarily - what to do?
            by Boab
            Hi all

This is a request for help for my partner who is the long term leaseholder on a ground floor flat/maisonette in a detached house owned by a large group.

The freeholder is demanding all the double glazing be replaced at a cost IRO £8000. My partner simply cannot afford...
            21-01-2021, 14:33 PM
          • Reply to Group Freeholder wants to replace new windows unnecessarily - what to do?
            by Gordon999
            £8K for replacing plastic windows on the ground floor is over the top.

Make an application to your local Magistrates Court for a declaration the windows at your flat at ( Address ) were replaced 2 years ago and do not require to be replaced again. Speak to the court manager about how...
            22-01-2021, 02:44 AM
          • Deposit on Freehold Purchase
            by chris1544
            We have decided to buy the freehold of our two flat building. Our surveyor has negotiated a price with the freeholder that we are happy with and this has been done by agreement rather than through the statutory route. The freeholder has written to us and asked for a deposit to “initiate the process”...
            21-01-2021, 23:37 PM
          • Reply to Deposit on Freehold Purchase
            by Gordon999
            I suggest you check the freeholder title and site plan at Land Registry is registered under the name of the freeholder and the plan corresponds to the boundary for your building and postcode. before proceeding ?

The deposit for Sale and Purchase of the freehold title should be paid...
            22-01-2021, 02:31 AM
          • Reply to £390 Overdue Charges on £50 Ground Rent Balance
            by J-T
            Thankyou both. The letter is being posted tomorrow. I will inform once I receive a reply.
            21-01-2021, 22:51 PM
          • £390 Overdue Charges on £50 Ground Rent Balance
            by J-T
            I've read around on here and read the FAQ, but I'm hoping for a little more direction on the following:

I purchased a long (999yr from 1976) leasehold BTL in 2018. I have just refinanced the property and the mortgage company asked about the ground rent account, which spurred me into thinking...
            18-01-2021, 20:31 PM
          • Negotiating a lease extension
            by LizLease
            Hi all, I am new to the forum.
            I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
            I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
            I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
            21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
          • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
            by Gordon999
            Try offering £11,000 and agree to £12,300 which is the starting point by hmrc for charging capital gains tax at 18% or 28% .

Make the offer for 90 years statutory extension and peppercorn ( NIL ) ground rent which is your legal right to seek under the L&T act 1993.
            21-01-2021, 22:23 PM
          • Block of flats - freehold or leasehold
            by ritfor
            Hello Folks,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I think it might fit into many of the forums. Point me in the correct direction if needed though!

I'm looking to invest in a block of 4 flats. Large terraced houses split into 4 self contained flats some while ago, with planning...
            21-01-2021, 16:56 PM
          • Reply to Block of flats - freehold or leasehold
            by Codger
            I had a block like you describe and sold it about ten years ago. It's much better to own the free hold
            ​​​ otherwise someone else is cutting your profit and deciding what to spend on improvements. If you own the lot you can make new leases if you want to sell piecemeal. I think leases are...
            21-01-2021, 21:10 PM
          Working...
          X