Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease Extension (freeholders)

Hi all
    Looking for some advice with regards to obtaining a lease extension.
    We are a married couple who own 1 of 2 maisonettes, we had the opportunity to purchase the freehold last year, which we have done and is now complete. This now means that as well as being the leaseholders to 1 flat we are also the freeholders for the 2 properties.
    We want to extend the lease on our flat (82 years left).
    Is this something we can do ourselves, or is there a need for a solicitor?
    ​​​​
    Regards
    Louise
    ​​​​​

It's possible to do it yourself but why bother ? Just wait till you sell when you can grant a new lease and solicitors will take care of it.
    You've done the right thing buying the freehold which makes your lease term irrelevant.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      We have heard this before but the problem is that we still have a mortgage on the flat, and are worried that we will struggle to find a lender once the lease starts coming down?

Comment

You must do it now , if you co owner of the freehold went missing or became awkward then extending your lease Years later could become stressful and expensive

Comment

Sgclacy my wife is the Co owner of the freehold

Comment

Originally posted by lout3380 View Post
            Lol, keep your eye on her.
            As you have a mortgage they will want a solicitor to deal with the surrender and grant of new lease. Personally I would wait till you need to do it but if you want to do it now then I would include a reasonable rising ground rent so you retain some value to the freehold, you could also offer the other flat an informal extension to help towards the cost.
            Best guess is it will be a grand in fees.

Comment

Originally posted by lout3380 View Post
              I misread your post - I thought you and the other flat bought the freehold

Comment

Our freeholder was declared bankrupt so the freehold was offered to the leaseholders. The lady in the downstairs flat wasn't interested in purchasing. Her lease had plenty of years left and she was about to put her flat on the market so she felt it wouldn't benefit her to chip in. Long story short, she agreed to sign all the relevant paperwork for the 3 of us to get the freehold off of the freeholder. After she sold her flat she removed herself from the freehold. Meaning that it is just my wife and I that are the freeholders now.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Service charge risk for leaseholder in partially unsold property?
                  by michael_bates
                  Hello,

I am in the process of buying a leasehold apartment in a newly completed block of 32 residential flats plus one commercial space. None of the properties are sold yet as the object has just come on the market, after the developer went bust and receivers were instructed to sell the...
                  29-07-2021, 22:13 PM
                • Reply to Service charge risk for leaseholder in partially unsold property?
                  by eagle2
                  If your solicitor is unable to answer your questions, you should consider changing solicitor.

The clause states that you are only responsible for paying your share of the service charges from the date of your lease. There should be another clause within the lease which states how your share...
                  30-07-2021, 04:54 AM
                • Accounting for RMC
                  by SHill
                  Would anyone be able to advise if a RMC can raise sales invoices to Directors, for property expenses that relate to their leasehold properties. The sales invoices raise are itemised in the Notes to the service charges at. 4. Transactions with Directors and 5. Related party transactions
                  09-02-2021, 22:41 PM
                • Reply to Accounting for RMC
                  by SHill
                  The Accountant said in an email....

" I also note you have placed yourself as the person(s) of significant control at Companies House and this is also incorrect."

Is he correct?...
                  29-07-2021, 22:05 PM
                • Reply to Accounting for RMC
                  by SHill
                  Another response from Accountant

"I refer to your email below. I am afraid you are wrong in your analysis of the situation in some respects below. I have checked the position with the ICAEW myself, and we went through our rule book on the handover of information and they drew my...
                  29-07-2021, 16:37 PM
                • Building damage?
                  by lampshade
                  I have noticed that one of the 3 blocks has some studs hammered into the brickwork in one corner. There are also cracks running down the bricks. I am guessing that these studs are markers made by an engineer at some point, suggesting a structural issue maybe.
                  In the event that any further opening...
                  29-07-2021, 11:11 AM
                • Reply to Building damage?
                  by ram
                  Not to put a damper on things, but insurance is for accidents / unforseen occurences / trees falling on building / cars.- etc

Insurance does not cover for deliberate acts which caused a fault.
                  Thats why why drill round holes in bricks, put a plug in it then screw though the plug.
                  29-07-2021, 13:05 PM
                • Reply to Building damage?
                  by lampshade
                  Within the service charge there is of course a charge for Insurance. Presume if any work ever needs doing it would come from that Insurance policy? And then possibly an increase in future Insurance cost
                  29-07-2021, 12:33 PM
                • Reply to MOA states the directors can appoint a chairman for meetings
                  by Starlane
                  Yes Eagle2 that is my concern, that we have directors who are self interested ( what a surprise NOT at my block), they are in breach of the lease themselves (what a surprise NOT at my block), I also believe there has been collusive fraud going on regarding hidden insurance commission and a directors...
                  29-07-2021, 12:32 PM
                • MOA states the directors can appoint a chairman for meetings
                  by Starlane
                  Hiya I am not sure if I should post this here or is there a company/corporate forum I should be posting on ?

My question is regarding members meetings and voting as I always thought that only members can attend members meetings as they hold a share which gives the member the ability to...
                  28-07-2021, 14:22 PM
                Working...
                X