Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cellar improvements lease compliance

Hello,
    I own a ground floor flat in a victorian conversion. According to the lease agreement, the ground floor, back garden and cellar is included in my demise (this is stated in wording as well as on the lease plan outlined in red). The lease does mention that the cellar "should only be used as storage and not for habitable purpose". When we bought the flat, the cellar was just a dirt room with dust and rubbish everywhere and certainly not usable as "storage". We cleaned it up, covered the existing internal walls with plasterboard, added a wooden floor, some lighting and sockets, a fan beneath the coal chute to ensure good ventilation and only after that we were able to use it as "storage" where things stored wouldn't rot. We didn't erect any partition walls and the layout is exactly the same as it was originally on the deeds plan. The electrical wiring in the basement was done by an electrician registered with NAPIT and straight after we had the fuse box replaced by another registered electrician who added an RCD for the cellar circuit.

Now we decided we are selling the flat.

My issues are:
    1. We didn't talk to the freeholder about what we did in the cellar. But we didn't really do any "structural work", as stated in the lease agreement as we didn't dig nor erected partition walls. We see our work more as "decoration" than structural work. As for the definition of "habitable room", on the planning portal , it says: "There is no single legal definition of "habitable room", as its use and meaning is subject to context". So am I right in thinking that if we declare we use this room only as storage we didn't need permissions from the freeholder?
    2. Neither electrician notified the work they did for building regs. We only received a letter of indemnification for the replacement of the fuse box. How should I go about getting all the right certifications/documents for the electrical work in the cellar in order to avoid issues when I sell the flat?
    Thank you all in advance,

Jp

If you get an EICR done, I'd have thought that would satisfy most sniffy buyers. Surely those renovations were done by a previous owner, weren't they? (wink)

Comment

Sounds like just decorating and minor repairs, nothing you would need to declare on sale enquiries or to freeholder.

Comment

THat's great! thank you both for your replies. My wife (and so I) can sleep better now.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
          by flyingfreehold
          In practice what will happen is that the solicitors dealing with the estate will write to you for confirmation that no money is due under the lease, and they will pay you because a buyer will want to take the flat clear of arrears.
          17-04-2021, 17:31 PM
        • Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
          by Anna_A
          Hi,
          I have done a bit of research, but I am still not sure where it is best to start so hoping for a few pointers with outstanding service charges.

I'm a freeholder of a converted house. I recently sent a letter of claim to the leaseholder for non-payment of service charges, advising...
          16-04-2021, 07:36 AM
        • Reply to Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
          by Anna_A
          Thanks to each of you for your help. I had thought that perhaps there would be a process for the executor to follow with the small claims court in the event of someone passing away rather than obviously pursuing with a deceased person. Jon66, thanks for the article, really helpful, and for all your...
          17-04-2021, 09:51 AM
        • Reply to Understanding a lease
          by Lawcruncher
          The Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 allows you to apply to the court for access rights, but only for carrying out repairs and not for carrying out improvements....
          17-04-2021, 07:35 AM
        • Understanding a lease
          by Pattyb
          Can anyone tell me what this means and how much ground rent is to be paid and when ?

TIA

To hold the demised premises unto the Lease from the nineteenth day of December One thousand nine hundred and fifty-four for the term of nine hundred and ninety-nine years yielding and...
          10-04-2021, 21:29 PM
        • Reply to Money Claim Online
          by Sherry7
          Having a Court Judgement proving the FH has breached the lease is great but can that potentially put buyers off? It might well put me off buying a property knowing the FH is negligent. Seems everything a leaseholder does to try and remedy a problem then has a 'black mark' against them when trying to...
          17-04-2021, 07:15 AM
        • Money Claim Online
          by Sherry7
          Has anyone used this Money Claim Online to make a claim of a freeholder to carry out some maintenance? The form looks impressive and could save on legal fees if it works. Any input appreciated. Thanks
          14-04-2021, 16:11 PM
        • Reply to Understanding a lease
          by Pattyb
          Aside from getting consent from the freeholder to build in the loft, the neighbors downstairs said they would not allow any scaffolding to be put on their land. They own the front, side and back gardens, which is in their lease, it is not shared so I guess it would be classed as trespassing.
          17-04-2021, 07:09 AM
        • Reserve Fund charge for wooden cladding replacement
          by DP64
          Hi, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but didn't find anything when searching.

I lease a top floor, one bedroom flat in a 3 storey purpose built block. I've just received a bill of £636 for the 'Reserve Fund' for this block. In early March I received a letter from the management...
          11-04-2021, 19:30 PM
        • Reply to Reserve Fund charge for wooden cladding replacement
          by philg
          thanks DP for posting this , i saw a third floor flat with minimal wooden cladding and wondered if it would make a good investment . it seemed to ` stick ` on the market and this maybe explains why . many flats here have wooden balconies but not been able to suss out if folks having trouble getting...
          16-04-2021, 17:47 PM
        Working...
        X