Freehold Covenant Restricting Pets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold Covenant Restricting Pets

I have recently acquired the freehold to my block. It's slightly unusual in that it's one of many buildings within a development and the freeholder of the wider estate has imposed a restrictive covenant prohibiting pets. Myself and my wife feel particularly strongly about this and are interested to know if there is anyway of getting around it. The freehold is held in a limited company with a relative as the sole director whilst the leasehold property is in my name and I was wondering if I removed the same clause from my lease (if possible?) it would become unenforceable on me as the leaseholder? Presumably if the developments freeholder were to take action against the freehold company and it was upheld at the tribunal then the freehold could ultimately be repossessed?

Any help or information would be much appreciated.

I feel "pretty strongly" about people who sign a contract and then think that they don't have to give a stuff about obeying it.

What do you mean "I have acquired the freehold" - yes you could change your own lease depending on what cross-covenant clauses there are, and then expect all the other lessees to treat you in kind, and hopefully make your life a total misery. The exact ownership structure here is totally obscure.

Comment

To clarify, there are only two flats in the building and we (the leaseholders) are both in agreement on this. Also, the buildings freehold was transferred over to us by the developer following a six-and-half year dispute over planning and building control violations (during which time neither of us could move), so it’s not really the case that we entered into an agreement that doesn’t suit us.

It’s also particularly important to myself and my wife as our three year old has just been diagnosed with autism.

Comment

Please set out in full the terms of the freehold covenant. We need the introductory words and the relevant provision.

Comment

Thanks. The TP2 wording is:

"Restrictive covenants by the transferee

4. The Transferee covenants with the Transferor, for the benefit of the Estate and each and every part of it and every other person owning land forming part of the Estate, with the intention of binding the Property and each and every part of it:

i) not to keep any animal or bird on the Property except with the previous written approval of the Transferor (which may be revoked at any time)
          "

This is the same wording that appears in the regulations section of the lease and I was hoping that it would be unenforceable if the corresponding entry was removed from the lease (as the freehold and lease are in separate ownership)

Comment

Would it not just be easier to obtain permission to keep a pet if that's what you want to do?

Comment

The problem is that it can arbitrarily be revoked at any time and the fact that the estate will have a new freeholder when it is sold off in the next couple of years makes it too risky

Comment

So in acquiring the freehold the transferor included the transfer form the covenants about pets and the company (you appear to be able to control) agreed to this.

Were the covenants explained to the company you control prior to the signing of the transfer form ? If not then you may have a case against your solicitor.

If they were then you will need to seek a release from the Transferor if you do not feel comfortable about consent given by licence

Comment

How is "the Transferor" defined in the TP2?

Comment

"So in acquiring the freehold the transferor included the transfer form the covenants about pets and the company (you appear to be able to control) agreed to this."

Correct (the wording is above)

"Were the covenants explained to the company you control prior to the signing of the transfer form ? If not then you may have a case against your solicitor."

It's a good point but I'm not sure how it would help me get around the covenant. The transfer itself was fraught with difficulty as the developer had fallen into bankruptcy leaving us having to deal with a receiver which caused all sorts of complications and at the time the discussion on pets was very much a side issue.

"If they were then you will need to seek a release from the Transferor if you do not feel comfortable about consent given by licence"

I'll certainly try but I think it's unlikely. There are some post sale commitments that I want to deliver on before raising it but in the meantime I was interested to know whether or not there's any scope to circumvent it via changes to the lease using the ownership structure or if it's a case of the covenant being absolute.

How is "the Transferor" defined in the TP2?

It just states the name of the previous owner, i.e. the bank that held the senior debt.

Comment

There is no scope to circumvent the covenant by changing the lease.

If "the Transferor" is not defined to include successors in title then consent can only be given by the developer named in the TP2. If the developer is a company and is eventually dissolved there will be no one to give consent.

Whilst only the transferor can give consent, the terms of the covenant are such that it can be enforced by other "owners" on the estate which could inlcude leaseholders.

A covenant against keeping pets is a bit unusual for a freehold, but I imagine it was imposed because of the similar covenant in the leases. The wording is unsastisfactory as consent which can be withdrawn is effectively no consent at all.

There two possible ways to get rid of the covenant.

One is to obtain a release from all (and I mean all) the "owners". That is impractical and the expense would be disproportionate to the benefit.

The other is to apply for the covenant to be discharged or modified. The chances of success have to be slim if the covenant wasimposed recently. Apart from that, the expense would again be disproportionate.

The government is apparently contemplating making "no pets" clauses unenforceable, but what form it will take and whether freeholds will be included remains to be seen.

Comment

In your desire to circumnavigate the covenants over the freehold title on the estate you ignore the possibility that someone on the estate may suffer from cynophobia (fear of dogs) who may have based their purchase on the strength of a covenant knowing pets cannot be kept at the property.

This idea of interfering with contracts, that will have been agreed between professional advisors over a period of a few months, because they are written in “legalese” and where purchasers may have been poorly advised is not really acceptable grounds for having the strength of those clauses set aside.

The UK is widely perceived throughout the world as a country subject to a stable legal system and therefore, a safe place to do business. Any legislation which in effect tears up contracts which have been freely entered by willing buyers and sellers who had professional representation prior to entering into them will put the UK in the same category of the many foreign countries that cannot be trusted to provide a stable environment in which to do business. It is even more important for the UK now as we agree our new trade deals across the world.

Comment

Thanks, although obviously it's not what I was hoping to hear.

"Whilst only the transferor can give consent, the terms of the covenant are such that it can be enforced by other "owners" on the estate which could include leaseholders."

Do you mean the buildings other leaseholder or the leaseholders in other buildings on the development? I hadn't considered the possibility that the other buildings leaseholders could enforce it. What wording would point to this?

"A covenant against keeping pets is a bit unusual for a freehold, but I imagine it was imposed because of the similar covenant in the leases. The wording is unsastisfactory as consent which can be withdrawn is effectively no consent at all."

It's a standalone building at the front of the development with an entrance that's only ~20 feet from the front gate so the scope for any objections would be very limited. It's also highly unlikely that any purchases would have been made on the basis that there are no pets given that the covenants wording doesn't preclude them.

The Dogs and Domestic Animals Accommodation and Protection Bill (https://www.rosindell.com/campaigns/pet-every-home) seems to be aimed at removing the enforceability of no pets clauses in rental agreements, but wouldn't it have to remove the enforceability of the freehold covenant to achieve this?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
                            by flyingfreehold
                            In practice what will happen is that the solicitors dealing with the estate will write to you for confirmation that no money is due under the lease, and they will pay you because a buyer will want to take the flat clear of arrears.
                            17-04-2021, 17:31 PM
                          • Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
                            by Anna_A
                            Hi,
                            I have done a bit of research, but I am still not sure where it is best to start so hoping for a few pointers with outstanding service charges.

I'm a freeholder of a converted house. I recently sent a letter of claim to the leaseholder for non-payment of service charges, advising...
                            16-04-2021, 07:36 AM
                          • Reply to Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
                            by Anna_A
                            Thanks to each of you for your help. I had thought that perhaps there would be a process for the executor to follow with the small claims court in the event of someone passing away rather than obviously pursuing with a deceased person. Jon66, thanks for the article, really helpful, and for all your...
                            17-04-2021, 09:51 AM
                          • Understanding a lease
                            by Pattyb
                            Can anyone tell me what this means and how much ground rent is to be paid and when ?

TIA

To hold the demised premises unto the Lease from the nineteenth day of December One thousand nine hundred and fifty-four for the term of nine hundred and ninety-nine years yielding and...
                            10-04-2021, 21:29 PM
                          • Reply to Understanding a lease
                            by Lawcruncher
                            The Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 allows you to apply to the court for access rights, but only for carrying out repairs and not for carrying out improvements....
                            17-04-2021, 07:35 AM
                          • Money Claim Online
                            by Sherry7
                            Has anyone used this Money Claim Online to make a claim of a freeholder to carry out some maintenance? The form looks impressive and could save on legal fees if it works. Any input appreciated. Thanks
                            14-04-2021, 16:11 PM
                          • Reply to Money Claim Online
                            by Sherry7
                            Having a Court Judgement proving the FH has breached the lease is great but can that potentially put buyers off? It might well put me off buying a property knowing the FH is negligent. Seems everything a leaseholder does to try and remedy a problem then has a 'black mark' against them when trying to...
                            17-04-2021, 07:15 AM
                          • Reply to Understanding a lease
                            by Pattyb
                            Aside from getting consent from the freeholder to build in the loft, the neighbors downstairs said they would not allow any scaffolding to be put on their land. They own the front, side and back gardens, which is in their lease, it is not shared so I guess it would be classed as trespassing.
                            17-04-2021, 07:09 AM
                          • Reserve Fund charge for wooden cladding replacement
                            by DP64
                            Hi, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but didn't find anything when searching.

I lease a top floor, one bedroom flat in a 3 storey purpose built block. I've just received a bill of £636 for the 'Reserve Fund' for this block. In early March I received a letter from the management...
                            11-04-2021, 19:30 PM
                          • Reply to Reserve Fund charge for wooden cladding replacement
                            by philg
                            thanks DP for posting this , i saw a third floor flat with minimal wooden cladding and wondered if it would make a good investment . it seemed to ` stick ` on the market and this maybe explains why . many flats here have wooden balconies but not been able to suss out if folks having trouble getting...
                            16-04-2021, 17:47 PM
                          Working...
                          X