Repair - Who should pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair - Who should pay

I am a lease holder. My flat has a balcony and the balcony floor board are my responsibility. Anything below floor board is free holder responsibility per the lease agreement. There is some residual water build up happening below the floor board and some drainage issues that is leading to water build up which is causing dampness in the floor below. The management company is willing to pay for fixing the problem (below the floor board) but want me to pay for lifting the floor boards . Are they right in asking me to pay for the removing the floor boards and putting then back later. They have send me a quote of GBP 700.00!!

Why is the water building up? Maybe it is not evaporating due to the flooring? Or the drains are getting blocked?

I think that might determine it. Do you have to have floor boards or was that at your discretion?

Comment

Decking board came in the balcony pre-installed when I bought the flat many years ago. This problem never happened in the last 10 years but now there is a water retention and it seems the drains are getting blocked. Drainage system is below the decking.

Comment

I suspect (as happened in one of my flats) a previous lessee installed decking on top of the balcony floor.

I cannot see how the freeholder (and in effect all lessees) is responsible for that decking, and it is obstructing the maintenance they need to carry out. If it actually caused the blockage (by preventing proper cleaning and inspection, or by preventing water evaporation so the floor was continuously wet) you may (and probably should be) held liable for the other repair too.

Have all the other flats got the identical decking?

Comment

yes all flats have identical decking. The decking was installed on all flats by the freeholder

Comment

Originally posted by APAT View Post
            yes all flats have identical decking. The decking was installed on all flats by the freeholder
            OK that's tricky then. In that case i'd refuse. It would be similar to having to remove and replace your wall plaster and decoration to get to a communal pipe. So I'm shifting my view.

Comment

I agree with Andrew. If the circumstances are as described, removal and replacement of the decking should be the responsibility of the freeholder as part of tge repair they are carrying out.

Comment

Thank you AndrewDod and Macromia. I have pushed back using some of the arguments you supported me with. Lets see what the management company comes back with.

Comment

So my balcony came from the builder with the decking installed when I bought the flat. My lease states that the balcony floor surface is my responsibility. Anything below the floor surface is not my responsibility in general in the flat and balcony as per the lease also. So what is the floor service legally in this context ? Is it the wooden decking or the surface below the wooden decking ? It seems the problems lies in the surface below the decking and I am not sure if the decking is the floor surface or is the surface below the decking the floor surface legally as per the lease ?

Comment

If your flat came with a fitted carpet (your responsibility to replace the carpet later) and they needed to rip out that carpet to deal with a problematical pipe in the floor they (or at least all the lessees) are responsible for putting carpet back to what it was.

If you decided to put a gold-plated sheet on your floor and they have to rip that up, then not so much. Or if there was laminate and you put a £500/sq metre carpet on top.

The issuer is not to do with ownership/ but why the work needs doing exactly.

Comment

Andrew, Lease just says that I am responsible for the floor but what is the floor in the case of a balcony that came with decking pre-installed ? Is decking the floor or the surface below the decking the floor. Apparently in the surface below the decking there is water retention which is ingressing into the flat below

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
                        by Anna_A
                        Hi,
                        I have done a bit of research, but I am still not sure where it is best to start so hoping for a few pointers with outstanding service charges.

I'm a freeholder of a converted house. I recently sent a letter of claim to the leaseholder for non-payment of service charges, advising...
                        16-04-2021, 07:36 AM
                      • Reply to Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
                        by flyingfreehold
                        In practice what will happen is that the solicitors dealing with the estate will write to you for confirmation that no money is due under the lease, and they will pay you because a buyer will want to take the flat clear of arrears.
                        17-04-2021, 17:31 PM
                      • Reply to Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
                        by Anna_A
                        Thanks to each of you for your help. I had thought that perhaps there would be a process for the executor to follow with the small claims court in the event of someone passing away rather than obviously pursuing with a deceased person. Jon66, thanks for the article, really helpful, and for all your...
                        17-04-2021, 09:51 AM
                      • Reply to Understanding a lease
                        by Lawcruncher
                        The Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 allows you to apply to the court for access rights, but only for carrying out repairs and not for carrying out improvements....
                        17-04-2021, 07:35 AM
                      • Understanding a lease
                        by Pattyb
                        Can anyone tell me what this means and how much ground rent is to be paid and when ?

TIA

To hold the demised premises unto the Lease from the nineteenth day of December One thousand nine hundred and fifty-four for the term of nine hundred and ninety-nine years yielding and...
                        10-04-2021, 21:29 PM
                      • Money Claim Online
                        by Sherry7
                        Has anyone used this Money Claim Online to make a claim of a freeholder to carry out some maintenance? The form looks impressive and could save on legal fees if it works. Any input appreciated. Thanks
                        14-04-2021, 16:11 PM
                      • Reply to Money Claim Online
                        by Sherry7
                        Having a Court Judgement proving the FH has breached the lease is great but can that potentially put buyers off? It might well put me off buying a property knowing the FH is negligent. Seems everything a leaseholder does to try and remedy a problem then has a 'black mark' against them when trying to...
                        17-04-2021, 07:15 AM
                      • Reply to Understanding a lease
                        by Pattyb
                        Aside from getting consent from the freeholder to build in the loft, the neighbors downstairs said they would not allow any scaffolding to be put on their land. They own the front, side and back gardens, which is in their lease, it is not shared so I guess it would be classed as trespassing.
                        17-04-2021, 07:09 AM
                      • Reserve Fund charge for wooden cladding replacement
                        by DP64
                        Hi, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but didn't find anything when searching.

I lease a top floor, one bedroom flat in a 3 storey purpose built block. I've just received a bill of £636 for the 'Reserve Fund' for this block. In early March I received a letter from the management...
                        11-04-2021, 19:30 PM
                      • Reply to Reserve Fund charge for wooden cladding replacement
                        by philg
                        thanks DP for posting this , i saw a third floor flat with minimal wooden cladding and wondered if it would make a good investment . it seemed to ` stick ` on the market and this maybe explains why . many flats here have wooden balconies but not been able to suss out if folks having trouble getting...
                        16-04-2021, 17:47 PM
                      Working...
                      X