Right to manage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to manage

Where a right to manage has been granted, and group of Leaseholders form a RTM Ltd, then higher a managing agent, isn't it for the RTM Ltd to keep accounts, and the managing agent is a cost expenditure?
    Currently the RTM is filing dormant accounts, and the directors are allowing the hired managing agent to manage and file their own yearly accounts (poorly) surly that is a breach of company law and the agreed RTM?

Our company accounts are all dormant. This means that the company must not trade. My (rather poor understanding) is that this is perfectly legitimate and avoids some complications while creating others. But the service charge account and the managing agent expense is NOT part of company accounts. That is not what is filed at companies house. The company is simply a custodian of those other accounts.

So no, dormancy is not in breach of company law. But I think it means that some aspect (like collection of ground rents - more relevant for a RMC) are tricky

Comment

RTM Co accounts should be dormant. What you describe as your hired managing agent filing their own yearly accounts is a legitimate thing for the managing agent to be doing - simply recording the income and expenditure of the building. This is not the income and expenditure of the RTM Co though which is why the RTM Co should be filing dormant accounts.

Comment

The purpose of the RTM company is to take over the service charge account from the freeholder. The RTM is a non-profit company which has no ground rent income under the lease and it does not trade with external parties. It always files annual returns to Companies House as a dormant company.

The RTM company can appoint an external managing agent or a leaseholder to manage the leaseholders's payments into service charge account. The managing Agent's service should comply to RICS Residential Management Code which is the benchmark used by FTT.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
          The purpose of the RTM company is to take over the service charge account from the freeholder. The RTM is a non-profit company which has no ground rent income under the lease and it does not trade with external parties. It always files annual returns to Companies House as a dormant company.

The RTM company can appoint an external managing agent or a leaseholder to manage the leaseholders's payments into service charge account. The managing Agent's service should comply to RICS Residential Management Code which is the benchmark used by FTT.
          Exactly. For RMC companies likewise, though it is trickier to be dormant whgen ground rents are involved (as they might, and possibly should, still be)

Comment

Ground rent is not due to an RMC so it probably ought not be collecting it. The RMC shold be collecting only proportionate service charge provisions and insurance premia, whether or not due as service charge or rent in arrear

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
              Ground rent is not due to an RMC so it probably ought not be collecting it. The RMC shold be collecting only proportionate service charge provisions and insurance premia, whether or not due as service charge or rent in arrear
              Ground rent might be due to a RMC (Residential Management Company owning the freehold) but not to a RTM Company.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Extending a leasehold property
                by sharmski
                Hi - I have a share of freehold ground floor flat as part of a converted house which we have extended. The two flats in the house each have long reciprocal leases. Do I need to update the demise of the lease to show the new extent of the ground floor flat, and if so, what’s the simplest and quickest...
                22-10-2020, 16:42 PM
              • Reply to Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                by sgclacy
                There are very few cases reported that concentrate solely on capitalisation rates. Most cases referred to the LVT/FTT have been on lease where the term is low and the ground rents being historic are often modest

The main case for you is Emmanuel House (Freehold) Ltd v Berkeley Seventy Six...
                22-10-2020, 15:24 PM
              • Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                by JM2110
                Hi all,

I am going to purchase my freehold through the informal route, and I was just wondering what the likely capitalisation / yield rate would be for a lease with the following terms; 93 years remaining, house value approx £120k, a ground rent of £250 (outer London) that is reviewed...
                22-10-2020, 06:13 AM
              • Reply to Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                by Gordon999
                There is a free guide to buying the freehold of a leasehold house which can be downloaded from LEASE :

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...ses-valuation/
                22-10-2020, 11:13 AM
              • Reply to Repair - Who should pay
                by APAT
                Andrew, Lease just says that I am responsible for the floor but what is the floor in the case of a balcony that came with decking pre-installed ? Is decking the floor or the surface below the decking the floor. Apparently in the surface below the decking there is water retention which is ingressing...
                21-10-2020, 16:14 PM
              • Repair - Who should pay
                by APAT
                I am a lease holder. My flat has a balcony and the balcony floor board are my responsibility. Anything below floor board is free holder responsibility per the lease agreement. There is some residual water build up happening below the floor board and some drainage issues that is leading to water build...
                19-10-2020, 16:20 PM
                by AndrewDod
                If your flat came with a fitted carpet (your responsibility to replace the carpet later) and they needed to rip out that carpet to deal with a problematical pipe in the floor they (or at least all the lessees) are responsible for putting carpet back to what it was.

If you decided to...
                21-10-2020, 14:31 PM
                by APAT
                So my balcony came from the builder with the decking installed when I bought the flat. My lease states that the balcony floor surface is my responsibility. Anything below the floor surface is not my responsibility in general in the flat and balcony as per the lease also. So what is the floor service...
                21-10-2020, 12:58 PM
                by APAT
                Thank you AndrewDod and Macromia. I have pushed back using some of the arguments you supported me with. Lets see what the management company comes back with....
                21-10-2020, 09:55 AM
              • Collecting ground rent from RTM
                by Section20z
                Can I (freeholder ) collect total ground rent for 4 flats from their RTM ? And do I still need to issue s166 notices to individual lessees (or at all) ? Anyone know please.......
                11-10-2020, 07:47 AM
              Working...
              X