Management fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management fees

Management fees - how do these management companies work out the Flat cost per unit? RICS code advocates a per unit fee? Just wondering what the average fee is?

Between £200 -£380 per flat . Often smaller blocks of flats pay higher management fee ( fewer flats to share the cost. )

https://www.lease-assn.org/leasehold...ement-fees.php

Comment

Thank you Gordon 999

Comment

Can see a section 27A Landlord and Tenant Act application in pipeline..

Comment

If you intend to argue that management fees for your block are too high, it will help if you have a good understanding of how much work the agents are likely to be required to do each year, or at least, what they are likely to be able to convince a tribunal that they do.
          If all that they do is arrange insurance, management fees should be low (potentially even nothing), on the other hand, if the block is in a poor state of repair meaning that the agents are regularly having to arrange temporary repairs and are organising work to bring the building up to scratch, gardening and cleaning need arranging, and the block requires regular safety inspections, a higher fee may be justifiable.

Average fees aren't necessarily what is "reasonable" for your block.

Comment

Spot on Macromia so a management fee in excess of £300 for arranging the insurance, creating a spreadsheet with approvimately 5 transactions on and collecting service charges should be minimal.....they now want to add on an accountancy fee, company secretary fee and we don't have meetings because of COVID 19

Comment

You are unlikely to get far arguing that accountancy fees are unreasonable unless the total for accountancy is above £500 - £900. This is the case even if there is virtually no spending other than insurance and management fees, because organisations representing accountants have had enough influence to falsely claim that having independent accountants sign off service charge accounts helps protect leaseholders. The reality is that, for all smaller blocks, it provides no value whatsoever and is nothing more than an additional expense.

If the managing agent acts as company secretary, that will also be considered a justifiable additional charge, as this isn't something that would be considered a function that should be covered by the management fee.

£300 per unit for management fees might be considered reasonable in a small block (perhaps 5 or 6 flats), especially if this amount includes VAT.
              It may come down to how well each side argues!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Missing Deed of Variation at the Land Registry
                by Earth3
                Hello,

I am 3 months into buying a flat and almost near exchange. My solicitor has been waiting for a Deed of Variation referred to in both the leasehold title and a lease extension.

However, I was informed today by my solicitor that there is no copy of this Deed of Variation...
                23-10-2020, 17:39 PM
              • Reply to Missing Deed of Variation at the Land Registry
                by Paulsen
                I have owned my buy to let flat for 20 years. During this time I did a lease extension and I also sold my garage to the Freeholder. I had a copy of the lease extension but had no clue or memory of a Deed of variation which was done when I sold the garage. I recently did a remortgage and after completion...
                23-10-2020, 19:55 PM
              • Extending a leasehold property
                by sharmski
                Hi - I have a share of freehold ground floor flat as part of a converted house which we have extended. The two flats in the house each have long reciprocal leases. Do I need to update the demise of the lease to show the new extent of the ground floor flat, and if so, what’s the simplest and quickest...
                22-10-2020, 16:42 PM
              • Reply to Extending a leasehold property
                by Gordon999
                Are you saying one or two flats have been extended ? You need to update the demise or the next buyer may not be able get a mortgage loan.

I would expect the "property title" held by Land Registry ( for the G/F flat ? ) to mention the extention was added in 2020 and the associated...
                23-10-2020, 14:51 PM
              • Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                by JM2110
                Hi all,

I am going to purchase my freehold through the informal route, and I was just wondering what the likely capitalisation / yield rate would be for a lease with the following terms; 93 years remaining, house value approx £120k, a ground rent of £250 (outer London) that is reviewed...
                22-10-2020, 06:13 AM
              • Reply to Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                by sgclacy
                There are very few cases reported that concentrate solely on capitalisation rates. Most cases referred to the LVT/FTT have been on lease where the term is low and the ground rents being historic are often modest

The main case for you is Emmanuel House (Freehold) Ltd v Berkeley Seventy Six...
                22-10-2020, 15:24 PM
              • Reply to Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                by Gordon999
                There is a free guide to buying the freehold of a leasehold house which can be downloaded from LEASE :

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...ses-valuation/
                22-10-2020, 11:13 AM
              • Repair - Who should pay
                by APAT
                I am a lease holder. My flat has a balcony and the balcony floor board are my responsibility. Anything below floor board is free holder responsibility per the lease agreement. There is some residual water build up happening below the floor board and some drainage issues that is leading to water build...
                19-10-2020, 16:20 PM
              • Reply to Repair - Who should pay
                by APAT
                Andrew, Lease just says that I am responsible for the floor but what is the floor in the case of a balcony that came with decking pre-installed ? Is decking the floor or the surface below the decking the floor. Apparently in the surface below the decking there is water retention which is ingressing...
                21-10-2020, 16:14 PM
              • Reply to Repair - Who should pay
                by AndrewDod
                If your flat came with a fitted carpet (your responsibility to replace the carpet later) and they needed to rip out that carpet to deal with a problematical pipe in the floor they (or at least all the lessees) are responsible for putting carpet back to what it was.

If you decided to...
                21-10-2020, 14:31 PM
              Working...
              X