Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Term difference between official lease and land register

Hi,

I recently bought a property from auction. The terms on the official lease and register title are different. The original lease states 125 years but the title shows only 107 years.

My solicitor wrote an email to HM land registry, and got a reply saying the original lease (125 years) is correct and the title register is wrong so we can amend the latter by simply lodging an AP1 application for free. Is this too good to be true? The property is on a short lease and this correction can save tens of thousands of pounds when doing extension . If this can be correctly easily, I don't understand why the previous owner didn't do it.

The original lease was made with an underlessor, and from the land register I can see all my neighbours are on a 107-year lease and nobody complained.

I hope to hear your advice soon.

Thanks,
    Sue

The original Lease always trumps the registration . I've had a huge argument with the Land Registry having relied on the registered entry which was wrong as to the term remaining on a lease of a flat in a block. Their position - officially - is that the lease particulars as for example is registered as a charge against the freehold are there just to help you identify the lease. After pressing my point and explaining that everyone in this business relies on the integrity and veracity of information on the Register and is entitled to expect it to be correct, eventually, the Land Registry backed down and paid some compensation.

Comment

Thank you for the insight. The original lease was signed with an underlessor (the council) not with the freeholder, which might be different from your case? Because if I want to extend the lease, I will get in touch with the freeholder directly.

Comment

You serve a s42 on your landlord who is then compelled by law to bring notice of the claim on its landlord. I wouldn't recommend attempting to DIY this. Put yourself in the hands of people who do this work for a living. I've been doing these for over thirty years and am still learning little oddities of the law.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Missing Deed of Variation at the Land Registry
          by Paulsen
          I have owned my buy to let flat for 20 years. During this time I did a lease extension and I also sold my garage to the Freeholder. I had a copy of the lease extension but had no clue or memory of a Deed of variation which was done when I sold the garage. I recently did a remortgage and after completion...
          23-10-2020, 19:55 PM
        • Missing Deed of Variation at the Land Registry
          by Earth3
          Hello,

I am 3 months into buying a flat and almost near exchange. My solicitor has been waiting for a Deed of Variation referred to in both the leasehold title and a lease extension.

However, I was informed today by my solicitor that there is no copy of this Deed of Variation...
          23-10-2020, 17:39 PM
        • Reply to Extending a leasehold property
          by Gordon999
          Are you saying one or two flats have been extended ? You need to update the demise or the next buyer may not be able get a mortgage loan.

I would expect the "property title" held by Land Registry ( for the G/F flat ? ) to mention the extention was added in 2020 and the associated...
          23-10-2020, 14:51 PM
        • Extending a leasehold property
          by sharmski
          Hi - I have a share of freehold ground floor flat as part of a converted house which we have extended. The two flats in the house each have long reciprocal leases. Do I need to update the demise of the lease to show the new extent of the ground floor flat, and if so, what’s the simplest and quickest...
          22-10-2020, 16:42 PM
        • Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
          by JM2110
          Hi all,

I am going to purchase my freehold through the informal route, and I was just wondering what the likely capitalisation / yield rate would be for a lease with the following terms; 93 years remaining, house value approx £120k, a ground rent of £250 (outer London) that is reviewed...
          22-10-2020, 06:13 AM
        • Reply to Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
          by sgclacy
          There are very few cases reported that concentrate solely on capitalisation rates. Most cases referred to the LVT/FTT have been on lease where the term is low and the ground rents being historic are often modest

The main case for you is Emmanuel House (Freehold) Ltd v Berkeley Seventy Six...
          22-10-2020, 15:24 PM
        • Reply to Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
          by Gordon999
          There is a free guide to buying the freehold of a leasehold house which can be downloaded from LEASE :

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...ses-valuation/
          22-10-2020, 11:13 AM
        • Repair - Who should pay
          by APAT
          I am a lease holder. My flat has a balcony and the balcony floor board are my responsibility. Anything below floor board is free holder responsibility per the lease agreement. There is some residual water build up happening below the floor board and some drainage issues that is leading to water build...
          19-10-2020, 16:20 PM
        • Reply to Repair - Who should pay
          by APAT
          Andrew, Lease just says that I am responsible for the floor but what is the floor in the case of a balcony that came with decking pre-installed ? Is decking the floor or the surface below the decking the floor. Apparently in the surface below the decking there is water retention which is ingressing...
          21-10-2020, 16:14 PM
        • Reply to Repair - Who should pay
          by AndrewDod
          If your flat came with a fitted carpet (your responsibility to replace the carpet later) and they needed to rip out that carpet to deal with a problematical pipe in the floor they (or at least all the lessees) are responsible for putting carpet back to what it was.

If you decided to...
          21-10-2020, 14:31 PM
        Working...
        X