Screening on patio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screening on patio

The freeholder is pestering me over some bamboo screening I attached to the existing railings of the patio.

The exact lease clause being used is "Not to erect any awnings or other cover or enclosure on any part of the demised premise"

I already spoke to LeaseAdvice (the phone line) and they reckoned it is not a breach of this clause which is (according to them) clearly intended to prevent more substantial constructions particularly those which include an overhead/roof-like structure.

The strange thing is many neighbours have similar things on their patios - one even has a large wendy house/garden shed, another has a geodesic dome, many have trellis like boardings as well, another has erected a opaque black canvas to almost double the height of the existing railings. We have lived here for 3 years now and all of those neighbours have had this stuff during that time. If you check Google or Bing Maps, it's possible to learn some of these have been in place for years before we moved in also. The management company is claiming they conducted a general site visit and that we aren't the only one to receive a letter. But in a follow-up letter they suggested they had "been informed" that we still hadn't taken it down - which suggests there is someone living here pushing it as an issue (are they allowed to lie like this?). It's been a month or so now and nobody else has taken theirs down. Admittedly LeaseAdvice did tell me not to concentrate on this aspect as you can't be sure that they have the same lease, which is fair I suppose. However something tells me that a freeholder unfairly/unevenly applying rules on leaseholders in this way could be a breach of their commitments to us as well?

Obviously I have Googled extensively on this but - surprisingly (or not?) - I cannot find any previously documented case where a freeholder took issue with some bamboo screening on a patio railing. It seems to be without precedent. Which is either good for me or maybe bad for me, I don't know.

I'm interested to hear the thoughts of this forum.

Thank you

It cannot be a breach of that particular clause as it does not appear to fall into the category of awning, cover, or enclosure. Perhaps posting a photo of the screening would be helpful.

Comment

Here's a photo. On the far left you can see the neighbour's wendy house I mentioned. And up top you can see the black canvas hoarding another neighbour erected.

If it needs to go, then it can go. It was only £25. I just wish they'd be upfront and honest about the reason - which I suspect is I have a curtain twitching neighbour who simply doesn't like its make-shift look.

Comment

To get around it and avoid an argument you could plant some live bamboo in pots or troughs. It's a very effective screen, providing there is no prohibition on plant pots in the lease. Another
        alternative is jasmine but this needs something to climb up but less effective in the winter, or leylandii in pots but you have to keep them trimmed to 4 or 5 feet! Have a chat at your local independent garden store.

Comment

I'd suspect that because it's higher than the existing railings it falls foul of "enclosure" in the quoted clause.

If you trimmed it down to the height of the existing railing it would probably be OK.
          Or roll it up and stick it in a corner when you are not having a barbie?

(The fact that your neighbour has got away with it using black canvass is not realy relevant, he may have a different lease anyway).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
            by Flatman78
            Thanks Gordon999

You can see from above reply to Macromia that's your comment wouldn't be relevant to me. there is no managing agent. It's just me (FH) and LH in upstairs flat.
            Thanks for taking time to reply though....
            23-05-2022, 20:29 PM
          • S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
            by Flatman78
            Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
            with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
            23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
          • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
            by Flatman78
            Thanks Macromia, I'm hoping not to have to request quotes to include extra 'contingency' as I know some building materials literally jumped by up to 80% pretty much overnight and so I / we could end up paying a hell of a lot more than we have to go with a 'protective' quote.

It's only me...
            23-05-2022, 20:27 PM
          • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
            by ash72
            You could sue the other company for the money owed.
            23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
          • RTM Hand Over Issues
            by martin15
            RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
            Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
            23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
          • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
            by Hudson01
            I am clearly no expert but i think this statement from the all knowing WWW appears to fit the bill for what has happened to you.................

'' Fraud can be broadly defined as the deliberate use of deception or dishonesty to disadvantage or cause loss (usually financial) to another...
            23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
          • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
            by Gordon999
            You could show the last service charge demanded by previous managing agent . There should be a final summary of the service charge account.to show the unspent funds.
            23-05-2022, 18:26 PM
          • Old managing agents accounts
            by jazzythumper
            Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
            20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
          • Building works & S20 process
            by RichA
            Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
            21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
          • Reply to Building works & S20 process
            by Macromia
            Good questions.
            The fact that the cost of work means that Section 20 consultation is required doesn't necessarily mean that it is major work that will require a project manager and, although most leases will contain clauses that allow the cost of project management to be recovered from leaseholders,...
            23-05-2022, 18:23 PM
          Working...
          X