Freeholder not paying service charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder not paying service charge

I live in a small block of 4 flats and we recently (June 2020) took over the Right to Manage from the freeholder, who had previously mismanaged, eg we hadn't been presented with a service account ever since we bought one of the flats 7 years ago. The freeholder still owns one of the flats and initially expressed his keenness to absolve his management responsibilities and just pay his service charges. Since the RTM inception in June 2020 he has not paid any of the service charge requests and reminders that have been sent to him on a monthly basis. He has not responded to any messages sent to him via post, email or phone. As the RTM company started from a position of zero finance we can't afford to incur large legal costs at the moment. Are there any other options available, eg small claims.
    Does anybody have a ball park figure for the compulsory purchase of the freehold? The lease is for 999 years with no ground rent.

The RTM has the legal right of managing the building under the lease including placing the annual buildings insurance cover and paying the maintenance expences for the building etc. . The service charge account should be based on the annual budget for estimated expenses for maintenance of the building and apportioned to give the service charge payable by each flat.

If the leases state the service charge is paid up front and now overdue, the RTM can use the Small Claims Court ( under the County Court ) to claim payment of annual service charge , now in arrears.

If no ground rent is payable by any flat, the cost of the freehold title may be nominal , say at £500 ?

Comment

Thank you for the reply and useful information, Gordon

Comment

Have you properly demanded the service charge - i think there are certain rules you have to comply with? No service charge is legally payable until the correct demands have been issued...

What does your lease say about late payments (if at all)..administration charges (if at all) etc

Perhaps when you took over the RTM in June 2020 - there was a lessee balance due to the freeholder...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Dissolve company and regain shares
          by LaraJara21
          Good afternoon

I am the director of a small a residents management company / limited company and We want to dissolve the limited company so each freeholder can regain their own shares. I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise on if this is possible and if so, how do we that?...
          22-09-2021, 11:35 AM
        • Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
          by ram
          As above post number 2

The Limited company owns the building, and the flats. ( R.M.C )
          The leaseholdrs become members of the Ltd company and shares are issued to each flat ( one share per flat )
          They then have a share in the company that owns the freehold ( they are not freeholders,
          22-09-2021, 21:22 PM
        • Negotiating a lease extension
          by LizLease
          Hi all, I am new to the forum.
          I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
          I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
          I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
          21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
        • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
          by sgclacy
          If you were to challenge the costs afterwards, almost certainly it would be dealt with as a paper review and is not as daunting as it might seem . The Tribunal generally think that around £350 plus VAT for dealing with the Section 42 Notice of claim and circa £1000 plus vat for the deed of surrender...
          22-09-2021, 13:38 PM
        • Reply to Renewing the lease and sublet charges
          by Gordon999
          I have some faint recollection that a complaint of " in-house legal team" was raised before a LVT or FTT Tribunal and Chairman decided "in-house team" did not qualify as "solicitor", who are required to conduct CDD ( Client Due Diligence ) before taking...
          22-09-2021, 12:28 PM
        • Renewing the lease and sublet charges
          by mpppen
          I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

I've read back through the forums...
          21-09-2021, 18:47 PM
        • Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
          by Lat
          I have tried google but there is very little to show. Does anyone have a redacted example of a "Deed of Variation" that they have had to sign?

The criteria in my case is...

1. Shared Freehold flat in block of flats
          2. Freeholder is Residents Company Ltd with...
          04-09-2021, 11:24 AM
        • Reply to Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
          by Lat
          What is wrong with the following process to register the "Deed of Varation"

All that is required of me is to get the "Deed of Variation" registered with the Land Registry and provide a copy of the new lease to the Company Secretary.

The Process.
          22-09-2021, 12:16 PM
        • Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
          by Gordon999
          The RMC has legal rights under the lease to administer the service charge account and demand annual service charge contribution from leaseholders. . It should not be dissolved because it holds the freehold title of the building.

If you transfer the freehold title to the leaseholders,...
          22-09-2021, 12:05 PM
        • Right to Manage Costs
          by Pariah81
          Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
          21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
        Working...
        X