Enforcing things not in the lease.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enforcing things not in the lease.

I own my flat and have lived here for 21 years. There is nothing regarding pets in the lease whatsoever and before we purchased our flat we checked with the builder that pets were allowed and they were. The builder is long dead and it was a verbal conversation. Dogs and cats have come and gone over the years but we have had subsequent ones for the whole 21 years.

There has been a breakdown with myself and certain residents during Covid and I am sure the next thing will be complaints about my dog which have never been a problem to date. The adjacent block of flats owns the freehold for outside and we hold the freehold for our building. Does the freeholder have to follow the lease as in as there is no mention of pets or can they add their own rules. There are rumblings of them not being allowed in the garden which I am not sure can be enforced but I am more concerned that we would be told we couldn't have our dog in our flat. We specifically bought it because we could and there is absolutely no way I am getting rid of them so where would that leave us. Also can it specify dogs and not cats as the resident concerned has a cat.

I can't see how they can enforce something that is not in the lease. Unless your dog is dangerous they have, in my opinion, no way of dictating what you do.
    I would just forget about it unless someone tries something.

Comment

If the lease does not have any restriction on keeping pets then keeping pets is allowed. However, if the pet causes any sort of nuisance the position may be covered by some provision in the lease.

Comment

The issue of pets arises from time to time. For general information the free online magazine Flat Living features pets in leasehold. Worth a read.

Comment

Thank you. Its all so confusing when you don't understand who can do what.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X