Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

County Court claim interest claimed on unpaid service charge/dispute

Hi
    I hope you are all well. If the landlord puts in a claim for interest on a service charge dispute who benefits from the interest if its a limited company? As I thought the landlord could not benefit for the lease?

It would have to go into the service charge account (which should earn interest anyway). FH can't take it - it most certainly is not their money.
    Any works will cost more due to the delay.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
      It would have to go into the service charge account (which should earn interest anyway).
      Hypothetically, service charge accounts should earn interest, but currently the amount shouldn't be anything worth worrying about (unless there is a reserve/sinking account) because of low interest rates.
      In many normal situations, money shouldn't remain in service charge accounts long enough to earn interest - especially if the service charges are collected quarterly, or monthly.

I completely agree with the answer to the question though. Any interest should go into the service charge account, and therefore benefits the leaseholders.

Comment

Hey my lease says to pay the annual rent on the 21st June in advance with no deductions, this has not been happening, they have been asking for quarterly demands and not the full amount on a different date? Would this be an unagreed variation of the lease?

Comment

No. They can ask for the rent whenever they like as long as valid s166 notice served. Without that nothing is payable.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacker View Post
            Hey my lease says to pay the annual rent on the 21st June in advance with no deductions...
            But what does the lease say about service charges?

Does the lease say that service charges are "reserved as rent"?
            Is it clear that the reference to the 21st June includes service charges and not just found rent?
            Are there any specific mentions of when service charges should be paid, rather than rent?
            Does the lease contain any clauses that would allow additional service charge payments to be demanded if the amount initially demanded was insufficient for the year?

Regardless, I doubt that you will get anywhere with this, as long as the dates that payment is being demanded is after 21st June.
            21st June will be seen as the earliest date that service charges for the year can be demanded. If payment is not demanded until later dates, this will likely be considered advantageous to leaseholders (especially if the budget for the year is provided before 21st June).
            There is nothing to stop leaseholders paying whatever they expect the yearly charges will be on 21st June, even if this is more than has been demanded. If the freeholder refuses this payment (and the leaseholder can prove this) they will have virtually no chance of later claiming interest on any payment up to the amount that was sent.

Regarding the comment from Section 20z, a S166 notice applies to ground rent, not service charges.

Comment

Thank you Macromia ...the annual rent means the insurance rent to be paid in advance on the 21st June, it is to be paid without any deductions whatsoever on this date on the basis the landlord insures the building ..they have issued a partial demand in July for service charges for part of the insurance, an accountancy fee and the rest of the service charge demand for the reserve with no explanation or item of expenditure stated whatsoever for what the reserve monies are for. Also there is no wording in lease for any reserve - there is for a sinking fund however they need to state what the expenditure is for and be transparent ( RICS ) and it needs to be reasonable sections 18/19 L&T Act 1985

Comment

...the annual rent means the insurance rent to be paid in advance on the 21st June, it is to be paid without any deductions whatsoever on this date on the basis the landlord insures the building ..
                You are clearly quoting from, or more likely paraphrasing, lease clauses that refer to the obligations of leaseholders.
                Current legislation means that leaseholders do not need to pay anything for service charges or 'rent' until this has been properly demanded - regardless of what the lease says. Legislation also allows freeholders to demand service charge payments at any point up to 18 months after the date that the costs were incurred (or even later if they notify the leaseholder properly within 18 months) - as long as something in the lease allows payments to be collected, and the lease doesn't say that payments can only be collected on a specific date, or dates.

Also there is no wording in lease for any reserve - there is for a sinking fund however they need to state what the expenditure is for and be transparent ( RICS ) and it needs to be reasonable sections 18/19 L&T Act 1985
                The RICS service charge guide mostly describes recommended best practice, not legal requirements.
                The landlord and tenant act sections that you quote only really come into play if demands are legally challenged - and I suspect that you might be surprised at how easy it is for freeholders to argue that costs are "reasonable".

Leaseholders should tell you why they are collecting money for a reserve/sinking fund at the time that they demand payment, or before, but there isn't a great deal that you can do about it if they don't (other than ask them to explain, and/or take them to a tribunal and argue that the costs are unreasonable).

Comment

In many leases , the service charge payment is due at the start of the service charge year ( often on 25th Mar or 21st June for you ) .

But many leaseholders have difficulty making one large lump payment and require to make several smaller payments. For our block, the management company allows some leaseholders to pay by 10 monthly payments by bank standing order.

Separate payment for buildings insurance can be required "in advance" which is normal for insurance premiums which is paid at the start of cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

No. They can ask for the rent whenever they like as long as valid s166 notice served. Without that nothing is payable.
                    What is this s166 notice....I am taking about the insurance rent NOT the ground rent?

Comment

Our year end in the lease states December 31st so the start of the year would be 01st Jan they have now changed the service charge year to start July 2020 when the annual insurance rent premium was due on the 21st June

Comment

Macromia,

There is provision in the lease for "a sinking fund", they are calling it the reserve however they have not being paying into this so now there are no funds, Tribunal cases and RICS state the funding must be transparent, landlord in breach of covenant and major expense coming up whilst the buggers who did not pay have gone now.

Comment

The service charge arrears follow the leasehold flat.

If the previous leaseholder has left the service charge in arrears, the next leaseholder will take on the arrears and be required to pay the outstanding sum.

Usually the buyer's solicitor will make enquiries to ascertain the arrears for ground rent and service charge and make provision for arrears to be withheld in the completion statement .

Comment

Indeed, but the new Lessee can still contest any amounts not lawfully charged or rent demanded without s166

Comment

Thank you for your help guys...firstly
                              1. The claimant landlord has made a service charge demand dated 31st August 2020, the demand is very brief without any details of those charges and quarterly payment of service charges are not expressly provided for.
                              2. The claimant landlord is obligated under the lease to insure the building in accordance with the provisions in the lease, by paragraph 3 the lease makes clear provision paying yearly during the said term First the Annual Rent in advance on the twenty first day of June in every year free of all deductions whatsoever after the expenditure has been incurred by the landlord.
                              3. There is no requirement for me to pay any third party or insurance broker.
                              4. That the claimant landlord is obligated to insure the communal parts of the building and indeed the building as a whole
                              5. The claim for interest has not been adjudicated as these proceedings are in process and no award of interest under the County Court Act has been made.
                              Recovery of interest on service charges. There is no mechanism in the lease for charging interest on unpaid service charges or for there to be a profit on a service charge, the service charge clauses only refer to the recovery of costs relating to monies actually expended on the maintenance repair and general upkeep of the building.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can freeholder reclaim parts of leasehold communal area?
                                by Raine55
                                17-10-2020, 14:12 PM
                                I live in a long leasehold flat on a development of 11 properties and communal gardens/car park. There is a corner of the car park that is not marked with parking spaces but still within the boundary line of the leased area described in the leases. The freeholder is a resident...
                                17-10-2020, 14:08 PM
                              • Reply to Can freeholder reclaim parts of leasehold communal area?
                                by Gordon999
                                I suggest you make enquiry at the local council and get confirmation in writing there should be 5 visitor parking spaces provided at your block of flats....
                                26-10-2020, 02:12 AM
                              • would an RTM company now be responsible for fixing the roof?
                                by tigerprawn
                                Hi -
                                - in the lease it states that the Lessor (named as the freeholder) has responsibility for maintaining the roof / basement etc.

but with a new RTM company in place - does the company take on that responsibility?

any helpful points regarding RTM and fixing roofes...
                                24-10-2020, 18:39 PM
                              • Reply to would an RTM company now be responsible for fixing the roof?
                                by Gordon999
                                How many years since your building was completed ? If the timber beams under the roof tiles are still in good condition , then the repair work may be just replacing some cracked tiles. When standing in the roof space, can you see daylight coming through the small cracks or holes. If there...
                                26-10-2020, 01:52 AM
                              • Reply to would an RTM company now be responsible for fixing the roof?
                                by tigerprawn
                                Hello Chris - thanks for your reply. I'm 1 of 4 directors in a 6 flat block. Over years the roof has been neglected and we're in the unfortunate postion of probably needing a very expensive repair (leaks are small, but the source can't be located). At the moment it looks like the freeholder (who is...
                                25-10-2020, 17:38 PM
                              • Refusal to enforce leasehold covenants
                                by Sussex818
                                I am living in a leasehold property and there is a plumbing issue from above (water hammer I beleive) where everytime the water is used in the flat above there is a vibration that can be heard in the whole flat and is very disturbing

We don't own the freehold but the lease differentiates...
                                24-10-2020, 12:50 PM
                              • Reply to Refusal to enforce leasehold covenants
                                by nukecad
                                Possibly if it's a macerating toilet, and the macerator itself could be noisy.

Then again it may be a pump to boot the pressure for a power shower.
                                Not that unusual in upper storey bathrooms.

If it's only comming from the bathroom then the noise may even be a run-on extractor...
                                25-10-2020, 17:32 PM
                              • Reply to Refusal to enforce leasehold covenants
                                by Sussex818
                                The vibrations only come from the bathroom but can be heard throughout my whole flat when water is running in there, or when the toilet flushes. They are trying to palm me off by saying it is a water pump (would a water pump even come into action when toilet flushing?) and that it is normal noise but...
                                25-10-2020, 17:21 PM
                              • Potential mistake in original lease
                                by Sue Chang
                                I just bought a leasehold flat. My landlord is the council, but it is an underlessor and has its landlord as well, which is the freeholder. The original lease states a length of 125 years but all my neighbours are 107 years. I think 107 years make more sense here the original headlease between council...
                                25-10-2020, 09:43 AM
                              • Reply to Potential mistake in original lease
                                by Sue Chang
                                Yes when I bid for this property I expected it to be 107 years. But later on my solicitor spotted this difference and checked with Land Registry, who told us it should be 125 years and they could amend it for free, which started to confuse me. Because I realised it could be a title defect which might...
                                25-10-2020, 17:17 PM
                              Working...
                              X