Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Entry System Upgrade

Hi
    I'm the lessee of a flat in a 6 flat block.
    Although there is a main door intercom connected to each flat, when residents answer they cannot buzz open the main door but have to open it manually. This system was put in place many years ago for security purposes after a spate of break-ins and since then there has been none.
    A lessee of another flat has now suggested a video entry system should be installed to replace the current one. This would increase convenience but decrease security as far as I can see.
    I have three questions bearing in mind the lease has no provision for the cost of improvements to be put on the service charge account and also makes no reference anywhere to intercoms/door entry systems.
    1. Would the installation of a phone entry system be classified as an improvement ?
    2. Likewise would a video entry system be classified as an improvement ?
    3. Even if classified as an improvement could the costs of a system installed still be attributed to the s/c account for any reason?
    Thanks for any answers.

If your block of flats is located in a rough neighbourhood, then security of the flat against break-ins is more important than having convenience of remote door opening.

Comment

Thanks Gordon999. I live in Maida Hill London W9. Five minutes walk one way is Little Venice, five minutes the other is a horrible bit of Harrow Road. Your post makes me realise I'm out of touch with how much burglary goes on round here nowadays so I'll try to find out.

Comment

Not valid service charge work unless allowed by lease which would surprise me.

How demanding is it to walk to the door and open it in a 6 dwellings building !?

Comment

1. Yes
          2. Yes
          3. Yes, if all 6 agree or specified in lease.
          Most London flats have door entry systems so you could probably argue it's essential these days.
          Why not combine with CCTV installation ?

Comment

If 6 flats over 3 levels is it really worth it. If 6 flats over 6 levels I can see the point, especially if top flats are constantly coming down to calls to accept deliveries for other flats.

Comment

We are in the process of looking at something similar as we speak. We are not opting for video entry and there is the complication of additional wiring. However, for a block of 42 flats, we are looking at a boarded system which calls a number (mobile or home) with a fob system. The cost of this is very reasonable given the size of the block, £2K per stairwell (We have 4) and an annual charge of £1,000 admin.

Sounds like for security purposes its essential. Most blocks in London now have them

Comment

Fair point andy. Could of course be 3 on 2 levels. I commented without relevant facts.

Comment

Thank you for your replies which give me food for thought.
                  Actually there are 3 floors and my flat occupies the third floor so I am the most inconvenienced by the present arrangement but don't mind as being a reclusive kind of person don't get a lot of people ringing my bell anyway!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Missing Deed of Variation at the Land Registry
                    by Paulsen
                    I have owned my buy to let flat for 20 years. During this time I did a lease extension and I also sold my garage to the Freeholder. I had a copy of the lease extension but had no clue or memory of a Deed of variation which was done when I sold the garage. I recently did a remortgage and after completion...
                    23-10-2020, 19:55 PM
                  • Missing Deed of Variation at the Land Registry
                    by Earth3
                    Hello,

I am 3 months into buying a flat and almost near exchange. My solicitor has been waiting for a Deed of Variation referred to in both the leasehold title and a lease extension.

However, I was informed today by my solicitor that there is no copy of this Deed of Variation...
                    23-10-2020, 17:39 PM
                  • Reply to Extending a leasehold property
                    by Gordon999
                    Are you saying one or two flats have been extended ? You need to update the demise or the next buyer may not be able get a mortgage loan.

I would expect the "property title" held by Land Registry ( for the G/F flat ? ) to mention the extention was added in 2020 and the associated...
                    23-10-2020, 14:51 PM
                  • Extending a leasehold property
                    by sharmski
                    Hi - I have a share of freehold ground floor flat as part of a converted house which we have extended. The two flats in the house each have long reciprocal leases. Do I need to update the demise of the lease to show the new extent of the ground floor flat, and if so, what’s the simplest and quickest...
                    22-10-2020, 16:42 PM
                  • Reply to Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                    by sgclacy
                    There are very few cases reported that concentrate solely on capitalisation rates. Most cases referred to the LVT/FTT have been on lease where the term is low and the ground rents being historic are often modest

The main case for you is Emmanuel House (Freehold) Ltd v Berkeley Seventy Six...
                    22-10-2020, 15:24 PM
                  • Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                    by JM2110
                    Hi all,

I am going to purchase my freehold through the informal route, and I was just wondering what the likely capitalisation / yield rate would be for a lease with the following terms; 93 years remaining, house value approx £120k, a ground rent of £250 (outer London) that is reviewed...
                    22-10-2020, 06:13 AM
                  • Reply to Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                    by Gordon999
                    There is a free guide to buying the freehold of a leasehold house which can be downloaded from LEASE :

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...ses-valuation/
                    22-10-2020, 11:13 AM
                  • Repair - Who should pay
                    by APAT
                    I am a lease holder. My flat has a balcony and the balcony floor board are my responsibility. Anything below floor board is free holder responsibility per the lease agreement. There is some residual water build up happening below the floor board and some drainage issues that is leading to water build...
                    19-10-2020, 16:20 PM
                  • Reply to Repair - Who should pay
                    by APAT
                    Andrew, Lease just says that I am responsible for the floor but what is the floor in the case of a balcony that came with decking pre-installed ? Is decking the floor or the surface below the decking the floor. Apparently in the surface below the decking there is water retention which is ingressing...
                    21-10-2020, 16:14 PM
                  • Reply to Repair - Who should pay
                    by AndrewDod
                    If your flat came with a fitted carpet (your responsibility to replace the carpet later) and they needed to rip out that carpet to deal with a problematical pipe in the floor they (or at least all the lessees) are responsible for putting carpet back to what it was.

If you decided to...
                    21-10-2020, 14:31 PM
                  Working...
                  X