Managing Agent charging for "admin costs" relating to GDPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managing Agent charging for "admin costs" relating to GDPR

Has anyone come across their managing agent, adding an additional £2,000 into the coming years' budget for additional "Admin duties" relation to GDPR?

I'm in the process of questioning this with them, however was curious to see if anyone else was it the same boat.

Thanks Laura

Never heard of anything like it. Obviously you are already asking about claimed hours, doing what ? I was in management when it was introduced, made miniscule amount of work.
    I get irritated now when people say they can't do something because of GDPR. When I ask for relevance things change !

Comment

Better for leaseholders to set up RTM and replace the existing managing agent.

Comment

If you delve into GDPR - as you should - the 'admin' work created for a managing agent involves carrying out a data audit of the personal data they hold (name, address, phine number, arrears, etc) and identify the legal basis for handling and processing the data. For managing in the name of a landlord, those bases will be either or all of the following:

- contractual obligation (for company registers and lessee/lessor contract)
        - legal obligation (landlords have legal obligations, innit)
        - legitimate interest (contractors details etc)

The agent should then publish a privacy notice and be ready to respond to requests for access or correction.

It changes nowt else to their day to day 'admin work'. Bear in mind they have to do this exercise once for ALL the data they handle for all their clients. The number of access requests in a year may be counted on one hand missing a few fingers.

If they are charging ALL their clients £2000 a year and they have a lot of estates under management, to be fair it is a nice little earner but I would hope no tribunal would fall for it. It is leasehold, mind.
        Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

Standard method is to charge a set rate for management and this would include all the costs for administration, obviously this could increase each year but to charge an extra 2 grand per client for GPDR seems excessive.
          Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
            Better for leaseholders to set up RTM and replace the existing managing agent.
            We have a block of 42 flats, built in the 1039's Art Deco. There is far too much going on for us to have a RTM, we moved away from this about 10 years ago as its pretty much a full time job.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies - very insightful and certainly given me some food for thought. I have already gone back to contest this on behalf of all of those in the block, knowing full well I will be questioned at the up and coming AGM.

Really helpful so thanks again.

Comment

We have 55 flats in one block where we have formed RTM and simply appoint honest agent who acts for US.
                we are saving £950 PER FLAT in insurance alone !
                Ours is not quite 11th century like yours but 1930's 😁

Comment

Really?! I would be really interested to understand more about this and how it works in principle - would you be happy to chat at some point?

Comment

Of course. You can pm me but RTM process is straightforward with plenty of guidance online. Once you have RTM Co set up you can appoint whoever you like to manage your block, and sack them if they prove incompetent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Lease variation
                      by Lawcruncher
                      Whilst "resident warden" is clear, I am not sure that in the context of sheltered accommodation "residential warden" can be taken to mean something other than a resident warden. "Residential" is not a word I would use to describe a person. If the warden has until recently...
                      27-11-2020, 08:43 AM
                    • Lease variation
                      by bazann
                      Hi,
                      My elderly mother [99 years+] owns a flat in a residential block under a 125 year Lease dated 24th May 1989. The Lessor is a housing association. My mother purchased the flat in early 2011 with the benefit of said Lease.
                      There is the usual monthly service charge which includes e.g. maintenance...
                      26-11-2020, 16:28 PM
                    • Reply to Insulation - necessity or improvement?
                      by bethy
                      It's a bit of a mess really, and a long story... They owned the whole building and ran a restaurant downstairs. Then converted upstairs into two flats to rent out. Then got into money problems and sold leaseholds to the flats. Service charges are split between restaurant and two flats. It's a terrace...
                      27-11-2020, 00:03 AM
                    • Insulation - necessity or improvement?
                      by bethy
                      We are L/H on a top floor flat. Roof is responsibility of F/H to maintain through service charge.

A loft hatch was installed last year to give access to the roof space for roof repairs. This has shown that there is no insulation whatsoever in the roof space - the property was converted...
                      26-11-2020, 12:37 PM
                      by Macromia
                      If there has never been any loft insulation, putting it in now would technically be an improvement, so the I suspect that the freeholder would be under no obligation to arrange for insulation to be installed.

If the building was converted into flats "just over ten years ago",...
                      26-11-2020, 21:56 PM
                    • Reply to Yet more 'notice to underlet fees' £135 and going up!!
                      by Macromia
                      This information is crucial.

If your lease states that underletting is allowed but you need to pay "notice to underlet" fees of £xxx biannually, and these fees are to be increased in line with inflation, there is unlikely to be any legal argument that helps you.

26-11-2020, 21:32 PM
                    • Yet more 'notice to underlet fees' £135 and going up!!
                      by November26
                      Hi

I have been trawling the internet for updates to challenges around 'notice of underletting fees' and I'm not sure of the current position. My landlord is still playing ignorant and deeming their extortionate bi-annual amount 'reasonable'. Are there county court judgements or upper tribunal...
                      25-11-2020, 18:02 PM
                    • Reply to Forfeiture Procedure and Costs
                      by Aboosimbel
                      Dear FlyingFeehold,
                      Thanks for the reply. You're quite right First Tier Tribunal not Land Tribunal !!!. I take your point with the analogy of the barking dog, and I do agree. However I like to be in a position to have an informed conversation with Lawyers, and I think getting the opinion of people...
                      26-11-2020, 19:35 PM
                    • Forfeiture Procedure and Costs
                      by Aboosimbel
                      Dear Landlordzoners,

This problem requires the advice of an experienced freeholder to help, as its a little complicated.

I own a freehold of a house split into three flats (I also own one of the flats). One flat had been used as a brother since 2014 until the police finally...
                      27-10-2020, 21:39 PM
                      by bethy
                      Porgie,

That's my understanding. Then really comes down to whose responsibility to do it/pay for it.
                      26-11-2020, 16:45 PM
                    Working...
                    X