Managing Agent charging for "admin costs" relating to GDPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managing Agent charging for "admin costs" relating to GDPR

Has anyone come across their managing agent, adding an additional £2,000 into the coming years' budget for additional "Admin duties" relation to GDPR?

I'm in the process of questioning this with them, however was curious to see if anyone else was it the same boat.

Thanks Laura

Never heard of anything like it. Obviously you are already asking about claimed hours, doing what ? I was in management when it was introduced, made miniscule amount of work.
    I get irritated now when people say they can't do something because of GDPR. When I ask for relevance things change !

Comment

Better for leaseholders to set up RTM and replace the existing managing agent.

Comment

If you delve into GDPR - as you should - the 'admin' work created for a managing agent involves carrying out a data audit of the personal data they hold (name, address, phine number, arrears, etc) and identify the legal basis for handling and processing the data. For managing in the name of a landlord, those bases will be either or all of the following:

- contractual obligation (for company registers and lessee/lessor contract)
        - legal obligation (landlords have legal obligations, innit)
        - legitimate interest (contractors details etc)

The agent should then publish a privacy notice and be ready to respond to requests for access or correction.

It changes nowt else to their day to day 'admin work'. Bear in mind they have to do this exercise once for ALL the data they handle for all their clients. The number of access requests in a year may be counted on one hand missing a few fingers.

If they are charging ALL their clients £2000 a year and they have a lot of estates under management, to be fair it is a nice little earner but I would hope no tribunal would fall for it. It is leasehold, mind.
        Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

Standard method is to charge a set rate for management and this would include all the costs for administration, obviously this could increase each year but to charge an extra 2 grand per client for GPDR seems excessive.
          Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
            Better for leaseholders to set up RTM and replace the existing managing agent.
            We have a block of 42 flats, built in the 1039's Art Deco. There is far too much going on for us to have a RTM, we moved away from this about 10 years ago as its pretty much a full time job.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies - very insightful and certainly given me some food for thought. I have already gone back to contest this on behalf of all of those in the block, knowing full well I will be questioned at the up and coming AGM.

Really helpful so thanks again.

Comment

We have 55 flats in one block where we have formed RTM and simply appoint honest agent who acts for US.
                we are saving £950 PER FLAT in insurance alone !
                Ours is not quite 11th century like yours but 1930's 😁

Comment

Really?! I would be really interested to understand more about this and how it works in principle - would you be happy to chat at some point?

Comment

Of course. You can pm me but RTM process is straightforward with plenty of guidance online. Once you have RTM Co set up you can appoint whoever you like to manage your block, and sack them if they prove incompetent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Extending a leasehold property
                      by sharmski
                      Hi - I have a share of freehold ground floor flat as part of a converted house which we have extended. The two flats in the house each have long reciprocal leases. Do I need to update the demise of the lease to show the new extent of the ground floor flat, and if so, what’s the simplest and quickest...
                      22-10-2020, 16:42 PM
                    • Reply to Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                      by sgclacy
                      There are very few cases reported that concentrate solely on capitalisation rates. Most cases referred to the LVT/FTT have been on lease where the term is low and the ground rents being historic are often modest

The main case for you is Emmanuel House (Freehold) Ltd v Berkeley Seventy Six...
                      22-10-2020, 15:24 PM
                    • Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                      by JM2110
                      Hi all,

I am going to purchase my freehold through the informal route, and I was just wondering what the likely capitalisation / yield rate would be for a lease with the following terms; 93 years remaining, house value approx £120k, a ground rent of £250 (outer London) that is reviewed...
                      22-10-2020, 06:13 AM
                    • Reply to Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                      by Gordon999
                      There is a free guide to buying the freehold of a leasehold house which can be downloaded from LEASE :

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...ses-valuation/
                      22-10-2020, 11:13 AM
                    • Reply to Repair - Who should pay
                      by APAT
                      Andrew, Lease just says that I am responsible for the floor but what is the floor in the case of a balcony that came with decking pre-installed ? Is decking the floor or the surface below the decking the floor. Apparently in the surface below the decking there is water retention which is ingressing...
                      21-10-2020, 16:14 PM
                    • Repair - Who should pay
                      by APAT
                      I am a lease holder. My flat has a balcony and the balcony floor board are my responsibility. Anything below floor board is free holder responsibility per the lease agreement. There is some residual water build up happening below the floor board and some drainage issues that is leading to water build...
                      19-10-2020, 16:20 PM
                      by AndrewDod
                      If your flat came with a fitted carpet (your responsibility to replace the carpet later) and they needed to rip out that carpet to deal with a problematical pipe in the floor they (or at least all the lessees) are responsible for putting carpet back to what it was.

If you decided to...
                      21-10-2020, 14:31 PM
                      by APAT
                      So my balcony came from the builder with the decking installed when I bought the flat. My lease states that the balcony floor surface is my responsibility. Anything below the floor surface is not my responsibility in general in the flat and balcony as per the lease also. So what is the floor service...
                      21-10-2020, 12:58 PM
                      by APAT
                      Thank you AndrewDod and Macromia. I have pushed back using some of the arguments you supported me with. Lets see what the management company comes back with....
                      21-10-2020, 09:55 AM
                    • Reply to Collecting ground rent from RTM
                      by andydd
                      As a FH you really should have a full understanding of the law or you may end up with smart LHs running rings around you and costing you thousands...believe me Ive done it to mine ...
                      21-10-2020, 01:42 AM
                    Working...
                    X