Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder selling freehold at auction

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post, please delete or move if it isn't.

I received a letter from Pantera Property last week stating that the freeholder is selling the freehold at auction is December and if I m interested to contact them. I had to chase them for a price, and they came back two days ago saying that it is going to an auction with a guide price of £50k plus. As you can imagine I nearly collapsed.

My mother paid off the mortgage some years ago, she passed away in 2013 and I inherited the house.

I don't know where to go from here. I have an appointment with Lease Advisory Service on Sunday. I cannot afford 50k. I am a single parent, working part time and I am terrified I am going to lose the house.

I don't believe they have served me with a notice of first refusal, and I do not believe that they have given me enough time as I have read they should give 4 to 6 months notice.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated as I am just about to have a nervous breakdown.

You are the leaseholder of a leasehold house and you are interested to buy the freehold title. The market value of the freehold title will depend on the ground rent income and the number of years remaining on the lease. You can download a free guide ( at www.lease-advice.org ) to buying the freehold for a house and study the sample calculations.

The Government has indicated it intends to stop future sale of new houses under leasehold title. The CMA has announced on 4 Sept 2020 that it will be asking 4 developers to explain why the ground rents are required in the leases of new houses. You should study the CMA announcement because it may impact on the price for the freehold.

What annual ground rent are you paying now and how many years left on your lease ?

Comment

Pantera is a RICS firm so professionally obligated to fairness. Ring their improbably named Hattie Snook MRICS 01423 421825
      At risk of stating the obvious just because the owners of it intend to sell the freehold interest, that does not mean your rights under the lease are in any way affected. If they are talking about a price for the freehold reaching into the tens of thousands it probably means your lease is very short. It may be appropriate for you to serve a notice through a solicitor to extend the leasehold interest; which will probably cost a few bob but if as you say the house is owned without mortgage it should be pretty cheap to borrow the money and extend the term. You need a good local solicitor to get you through this.

Comment

If this is the freehold for a house, there is no right to first refusal because that only applies to the freeholds of properties containing two or more flats.

As flyingfreehold has said, if they expect to get that much for the freehold of a leasehold house, it most likely means that the lease term has relatively few years remaining (well under 80) - or the annual ground rent is extremely high.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
          by Andrea Cunningham
          Call an EGM. Make sure you give proper notice and that it is legal (download a boilerplate notice off the internet). In that EGM you can vote new directors in, or even vote the old directors out.
          26-01-2022, 07:14 AM
        • AGM cancelled.
          by Grumio
          Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
          26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
        • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
          by SouthernDave
          Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
          i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
          25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
        • Reply to What can I do about my right of way.
          by Trevor62

This is the ROW as it is in the land registry.

Can I ask another question?

As you can read it says Boundary determined by edge of pavings. Before the other party moved out they built a fence along the boundary though they build it on my side of the...
          25-01-2022, 20:58 PM
        • What can I do about my right of way.
          by Trevor62
          I live in the upper flat of a maisonette, I have a right of way that goes around the back of the building from the side entrance, there are only two flats in the building.

Anyway for years there has been a gate with a lock to go through the right of way, now for the past year the flat has...
          23-01-2022, 23:01 PM
        • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
          by Andrea Cunningham
          As I said right at the beginning, there are some very sound reasons to do this which I wasn't going to go into. Suffice it to say that the current situation is one where the building I live in suffers under the tyranny of the majority of the larger building. So what is being sought is genuine control...
          25-01-2022, 20:24 PM
        • Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
          by Andrea Cunningham
          The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member...
          04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
          by Andrea Cunningham
          There is already no ground rent collected - so as I understand it the value of the freehold might be quite low anyway.

If this is all done by negotiation then it is a moot point regardless, and it brings me back to what I was actually asking about, which is how to fairly and equitably split...
          25-01-2022, 20:10 PM
          by Macromia
          That potentially raises an interesting question about what happens to any money that needs to be paid for the enfranchisement.
          At the moment payment is handed over, all those in the block being enfranchised would presumably cease to be members of the company - so wouldn't be entitled to any share...
          25-01-2022, 19:40 PM
          by Macromia
          That may not be your intention, but it definitely seems like you haven't given proper consideration to what enfranchisement would involve.

What do the leases specifically say about what is included within service charge/maintenance costs and how service charge costs are to be split?...
          25-01-2022, 19:25 PM
        Working...
        X