Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacker
    replied
    Do you own the lease, then you can alter the internal parts of the demise as long as you write to them giving notice, no major structural changes though...write a letter telling them what you are planning to do, take photos before and after and send a letter with a sketch of what you are proposing, send by recorded delivery and any fee if the lease asks for this and state in the letter you require a written response according to the RICS code. Send letter and sketch by recorded delivery to the freeholder registered office address and after 28 days carry on..as long as work is not structural such as taking down internal walls or making holes in walls you should be ok.

Leave a comment:

• smithsonian
    started a topic Freeholder's obligation to respond

Freeholder's obligation to respond

I've just purchased my first property, a leasehold flat. I am aware that my lease states that I need to request any additions to the freeholder. I need to add fitted wardrobes urgently to the property so I wrote him a letter two weeks ago but he has failed to respond, the letter was tracked and signed, so I know he collected it himself personally.

I would like to know if the freeholder has the obligation by law to respond to these requests and what to do/how to approach him to make sure he acknowledges the receipt of these requests and advice how long it will take him to respond.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Breach of leasehold terms with floor that's causing noise; who to enforce?
    by SharedOwnrshpLeaseholdr
    My upstair's neighbour's lease requires him to provide "carpets, or such other suitable floor coverings", and it also has a "nuisance" clause. He has had his flat tiled. I am now being driven nuts by noise from above. Every movement results in impact noise transmission, and I'm going...
    13-05-2021, 21:58 PM
  • Unreasonable Withholding of Consent by Freeholder?
    by wabdiddly
    Dear All,

Looking for an opinion and some legal views behind what I can do in the following situation.

My top floor flat has rather wonky flooring, which the structural engineer's report described as "in poor condition and needs levelling to provide satisfactory living...
    13-05-2021, 18:29 PM
  • Reply to Unreasonable Withholding of Consent by Freeholder?
    by Lawcruncher
    You do not need permission to carry out repairs if you have an obligation to do them.

If the lease only prohibits structural alterations you can carry out non-structural alterations. Taking down or putting up non-structural walls is not structural. What exactly does your lease say about...
    13-05-2021, 21:25 PM
  • Tenants refusing to vacate
    by Landlord2021
    Our tenants have been issued with a section 21 back in December. Having had six months notice they are now refusing to vacate the property as their new build house is not ready. We have sold the property subject to contract. Our buyers want to take advantage of the stamp duty holiday. What if anything...
    13-05-2021, 17:10 PM
  • Reply to Tenants refusing to vacate
    by theartfullodger
    An s21 notice does not end a tenancy nor compel a tenant to leave. The tenant is simply exercising their right, unde s5 of Housing Act 1988 ( Thatcher's ) to remain until court, court order, bailiffs/HCEO. The self-same Act ( Thatcher's ) that permits us landlords to serve s21s.

Their agreement...
    13-05-2021, 19:19 PM
    by Jon66
    Write to them pointing out you are now able to proceed to court and that you intend to do so. That this will incur costs and legal fees, that court judgements of any sort would not reflect well on their mortgage application, that once a possession order has been granted you will incur additional bailiff...
    13-05-2021, 18:55 PM
  • Lack of lighting in communal areas
    by fos333
    Hi all,

Who is responsible if the lack of lighting in the communal area results in injury to the occupiers of the flats?

The lights for the two main blocks are controlled by two photocells that can be adjusted, but at 2100 hrs tonight the internal communal lights had still...
    12-05-2021, 20:26 PM
  • Reply to Lack of lighting in communal areas
    by fos333
    Thanks for the replies.

The managing agent instructs the adjustment of the photocells, however, the current directors are ignorant to the issue now as it can't be impacting on them.

Further to the communal lighting not coming on early enough is the fact that the managing agent...
    13-05-2021, 18:44 PM
  • Evidence of leasehold interest?
    by Bengt Lagander
    I have just completed on the purchase of a long Leasehold flat.

Separately I am apply for a Court order restoration of the Limited Company that own the freehold which was dissolved on 15 th June 2015 so the application needs to be sent by server to the Court before 15th June 2021. This...
    13-05-2021, 18:19 PM
    by 1600e
    There is nothing you can do other than see if a hefty lump sum will persuade them....
    13-05-2021, 18:10 PM
Working...
X