Freeholder's obligation to respond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder's obligation to respond

I've just purchased my first property, a leasehold flat. I am aware that my lease states that I need to request any additions to the freeholder. I need to add fitted wardrobes urgently to the property so I wrote him a letter two weeks ago but he has failed to respond, the letter was tracked and signed, so I know he collected it himself personally.

I would like to know if the freeholder has the obligation by law to respond to these requests and what to do/how to approach him to make sure he acknowledges the receipt of these requests and advice how long it will take him to respond.

Do you own the lease, then you can alter the internal parts of the demise as long as you write to them giving notice, no major structural changes though...write a letter telling them what you are planning to do, take photos before and after and send a letter with a sketch of what you are proposing, send by recorded delivery and any fee if the lease asks for this and state in the letter you require a written response according to the RICS code. Send letter and sketch by recorded delivery to the freeholder registered office address and after 28 days carry on..as long as work is not structural such as taking down internal walls or making holes in walls you should be ok.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
      by flyingfreehold
      In practice what will happen is that the solicitors dealing with the estate will write to you for confirmation that no money is due under the lease, and they will pay you because a buyer will want to take the flat clear of arrears.
      17-04-2021, 17:31 PM
    • Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
      by Anna_A
      Hi,
      I have done a bit of research, but I am still not sure where it is best to start so hoping for a few pointers with outstanding service charges.

I'm a freeholder of a converted house. I recently sent a letter of claim to the leaseholder for non-payment of service charges, advising...
      16-04-2021, 07:36 AM
    • Reply to Outstanding Service Charges - What to do when the leaseholder dies?
      by Anna_A
      Thanks to each of you for your help. I had thought that perhaps there would be a process for the executor to follow with the small claims court in the event of someone passing away rather than obviously pursuing with a deceased person. Jon66, thanks for the article, really helpful, and for all your...
      17-04-2021, 09:51 AM
    • Understanding a lease
      by Pattyb
      Can anyone tell me what this means and how much ground rent is to be paid and when ?

TIA

To hold the demised premises unto the Lease from the nineteenth day of December One thousand nine hundred and fifty-four for the term of nine hundred and ninety-nine years yielding and...
      10-04-2021, 21:29 PM
    • Reply to Understanding a lease
      by Lawcruncher
      The Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 allows you to apply to the court for access rights, but only for carrying out repairs and not for carrying out improvements....
      17-04-2021, 07:35 AM
    • Money Claim Online
      by Sherry7
      Has anyone used this Money Claim Online to make a claim of a freeholder to carry out some maintenance? The form looks impressive and could save on legal fees if it works. Any input appreciated. Thanks
      14-04-2021, 16:11 PM
    • Reply to Money Claim Online
      by Sherry7
      Having a Court Judgement proving the FH has breached the lease is great but can that potentially put buyers off? It might well put me off buying a property knowing the FH is negligent. Seems everything a leaseholder does to try and remedy a problem then has a 'black mark' against them when trying to...
      17-04-2021, 07:15 AM
    • Reply to Understanding a lease
      by Pattyb
      Aside from getting consent from the freeholder to build in the loft, the neighbors downstairs said they would not allow any scaffolding to be put on their land. They own the front, side and back gardens, which is in their lease, it is not shared so I guess it would be classed as trespassing.
      17-04-2021, 07:09 AM
    • Reply to Reserve Fund charge for wooden cladding replacement
      by philg
      thanks DP for posting this , i saw a third floor flat with minimal wooden cladding and wondered if it would make a good investment . it seemed to ` stick ` on the market and this maybe explains why . many flats here have wooden balconies but not been able to suss out if folks having trouble getting...
      16-04-2021, 17:47 PM
    • Reserve Fund charge for wooden cladding replacement
      by DP64
      Hi, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but didn't find anything when searching.

I lease a top floor, one bedroom flat in a 3 storey purpose built block. I've just received a bill of £636 for the 'Reserve Fund' for this block. In early March I received a letter from the management...
      11-04-2021, 19:30 PM
    Working...
    X