Managing agent without written contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managing agent without written contract

The managing agents for a block of leasehold flats don't have a written contract. Are they still legally obligated to abide by the terms of the leases and/or the Landlord and Tenant Act and/or the terms of the RICS Service Charge Residential Management Code?
    Hope someone can chip in here. Lawcruncher perhaps?
    Links to any guidance on this would be welcome also.

The landlord has to abide by the lease and so it follows that any agent of the landlord must do so.

Everyone is bound by statute.

The RICS Code certainly binds firms of chartered surveyors. Reading the preamble to the Code it does seem to apply to others engaged in residential property management. However, the Code does not have full legal force and does not override the law. The court is required to have regard to it in any proceedings, but is not bound by it as that would usurp the power of the court to be the ultimate judge of whether a professional has been negligent or otherwise unprofessional.

Comment

In short:
      A lack of a written contract between freeholder and managing agent doesn't really affect leaseholders at all, they still have all of the protections provided by the lease, the law, and 'the RICS code'.
      A written contract really only helps the freeholder and managing agent if their is a dispute between them.

Anyone who is managing leasehold properties has an implied obligation to abide by the terms of the leases, but ultimately the obligations fall on the freeholder and leaseholders (depending on the particulars of the lease).

Managing agents carry out the instructions of the freeholder (or perhaps a RTM company that acts as freeholder), and any contract that they have, whether written or verbal, is to protect the interests of the freeholder and managing agent.

If a managing agent doesn't carry out any obligations that the freeholder has, either under the lease or in applicable law, they leave the freeholder open to potential legal action (and in some cases it will result in the managing agent leaving themselves open to legal action).

If the managing agent carries out work that leaseholders aren't required to pay for under the terms of their leases, and the leaseholders realise this and don't pay, the costs will have to be met by either the freeholder or the managing agent. Having a written contract should make it easier to determine who has to pay if their is any dispute.

Anyone managing a property with residential leaseholds, regardless of whether they are self managing or are employed by a separate freeholder, is generally advised to follow the RICS Service Charge Residential Management Code.
      If there is any dispute about the services charges raised by leaseholders, being aim to show that they have followed the terms of the lease and 'the code' will usually help to defend against the dispute.

Comment

Alternatively, read what Lawcruncher posted (the reply wasn't there earlier)!

Comment

Thank you both Macromia and Lawcruncher . This is a great help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
            by phatfish
            I am buying a flat in a block of 11 where the landlord is a small company with two directors. One happens to be the owner of the lease i would take possession of.

The other does not own any of the leases directly, but some family members own at least 4 of them (maybe one or two more, i...
            27-09-2020, 17:43 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
            by Macromia
            All leaseholders should be treated equally and in accordance with the terms of the lease. Unfortunately this isn't always what happens.

Hypothetically, you have the same protections where the freeholder is a company owned by leaseholders, and run by directors who have a controlling interest,...
            28-09-2020, 01:19 AM
          • LPE1 Questions
            by comm1985
            For the purposes of LPE1 could someone clarify the below:

1. Slightly confused by the terms 'Managed Area' and 'Common Parts'. For a building of 4 standalone flats with no communal areas or entrances.
            ‚Äč
            a) I assume the "Managed Area" is the building containing the...
            27-09-2020, 18:28 PM
          • Reply to LPE1 Questions
            by Macromia
            Managed area will include the building and any grounds, gardens, outbuildings, etc., basically anything that the leaseholders may be required to contribute to the maintenance of via service charges.

Common parts would include communal corridors, gardens, etc., and may also include parts...
            28-09-2020, 01:08 AM
          • management and maintenance costs for parking court
            by cooked
            sorry this may in the wrong forum but I could not see a forum title which was relevant
            my wife and I own (leasehold) two flats in a block of 3 flats
            each of the 3 flats has two parking spaces in a 30 space parking court
            in 2018, we became the RTM for the building but the parking court...
            25-09-2020, 22:30 PM
          • Reply to management and maintenance costs for parking court
            by Macromia
            Without knowing what your "parking court" is like, I would think that all of the charges that you list would likely be considered reasonable - apart from the management fees (personally I would consider the accountancy/audit charges to be of no value whatsoever to leaseholders, and therefore...
            28-09-2020, 00:53 AM
            by phatfish
            Hi Scot,

Thanks for the reply. Yes i worded that badly, all i meant was the lease has a provision that states that all leaseholders are responsible for an equal share of a service charge and i have no reason to believe one lease is different from another.

I did familiarize...
            27-09-2020, 20:52 PM
          • Reply to management and maintenance costs for parking court
            by cooked
            The fees charged to us for the parking court have risen slightly in the last few years and there was no reduction when we took over the management of the building.
            The management of the parking court remained with the original management company even though the management of the building itself...
            27-09-2020, 19:27 PM
            by scot22
            The Freeholder MUST abide by the lease and any leasehold ownership can be problematic. I doubt if you have to pay whatever is demanded. It would have to be expenditure justified by the lease and be reasonable.
            I suggest looking on the LEASE site where there is a wealth of information.
            27-09-2020, 18:25 PM
          • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
            by Macromia
            I would agree that it may be cheaper in the long run if the window frames are the responsibility of the leaseholder, but would not necessarily agree that a tribunal would say that the leaseholder is responsible for the frames.

Especially if this was argued well, I think that it s more likely...
            27-09-2020, 18:06 PM
          Working...
          X