FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?

999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he then immediately contacts Land Registry for them to remove the lease from his freehold title, thus converting a ~£3k freehold reversion to a £150k owned outright property...

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-on-forfeiture

-> "An interested person may apply to the court for relief from forfeiture. However, this is not in itself a valid ground for objection to an application to HM Land Registry based upon determination on forfeiture."

So if FH acts quickly he can determine lease at LR before LH can claim relief. And then quickly offload this now very valuable property asset in an auction sale. The sale proceeds go to his FH company, which he immediately withdraws to his personal funds and winds up the company by which time the court later grants relief but OH NO the property is no longer the FH's, so no relief is possible.

The court can't order the sale proceeds to be paid to LH instead because the money has left the company and it's now either and empty shell company or already closed at Companies House.

This sounds stupid and ludicrous but actually possible accordingly to the LR link above which doesn't postpone the determination even if relief is being claimed!?!

Am I correct or is the another safeguard(s) to protect the lessee seeking relief??

Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make sure the land registry has up to date records of your address and contact details

Consider this. The person who buys the property at auction relies on the Land Registry records which does not disclose that the Land Registry have determined an earlier lease by forfeiture - so why should that person be denied the property they have just bought relying on the Land Registry records lose what they have paid to a lessee has breached the lease.

Having a very small mortgage against a leasehold property may be safeguard

Comment

Couldn't happen. Service of s146 on it's own is insufficient to forfeit property and tenant can claim relief long before land registry stage.

Comment

sgclacy So the lessee has to desperately hope that the court hears their relief from forfeiture claim before the LR determine the lease? How would a mortgage make any difference?

Section20z ? On commercial premises you serve s146 and then wait out its stipulated time period, normally 6-12 weeks and if breach is not remedied you can re-enter to forfeit when lease permits this. I don't understand your point?

Assuming lessee claims relief around the time FH forfeits by reentry (and contacts LR to close off the leasehold title) then reading the quote above from LR website, the lessee is powerless to stop the LR determination despite having lodged a pending claim for relief at court...

Comment

The land Registry would write to both the tenant and those with a mortgage over the property if an application is made to register a new lease - if it is the intention of the lessee to seek relief from forfeiture and that is communicated to the Land Registry then they will not process the application until the outcome of that hearing

Comment

What you say makes logical sense but it states the opposite of this on their website guidance:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-on-forfeiture

3rd para down under heading 8. -> "An interested person may apply to the court for relief from forfeiture. However, this is not in itself a valid ground for objection to an application to HM Land Registry based upon determination on forfeiture."

I read that as meaning that just because lessee informs the LR that they are waiting for relief from forfeiture, this will NOT be a valid ground to halt the LR determination going ahead. i.e you would need a valid ground before the LR can postpone it.

Hmm, have I overlooked something? Is there any case law on this or LR guidelines that confirm the LR must wait until the relief hearing outcome?

​​

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
              by Macromia
              All leaseholders should be treated equally and in accordance with the terms of the lease. Unfortunately this isn't always what happens.

Hypothetically, you have the same protections where the freeholder is a company owned by leaseholders, and run by directors who have a controlling interest,...
              28-09-2020, 01:19 AM
            • Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
              by phatfish
              I am buying a flat in a block of 11 where the landlord is a small company with two directors. One happens to be the owner of the lease i would take possession of.

The other does not own any of the leases directly, but some family members own at least 4 of them (maybe one or two more, i...
              27-09-2020, 17:43 PM
            • Reply to LPE1 Questions
              by Macromia
              Managed area will include the building and any grounds, gardens, outbuildings, etc., basically anything that the leaseholders may be required to contribute to the maintenance of via service charges.

Common parts would include communal corridors, gardens, etc., and may also include parts...
              28-09-2020, 01:08 AM
            • LPE1 Questions
              by comm1985
              For the purposes of LPE1 could someone clarify the below:

1. Slightly confused by the terms 'Managed Area' and 'Common Parts'. For a building of 4 standalone flats with no communal areas or entrances.

a) I assume the "Managed Area" is the building containing the...
              27-09-2020, 18:28 PM
            • Reply to management and maintenance costs for parking court
              by Macromia
              Without knowing what your "parking court" is like, I would think that all of the charges that you list would likely be considered reasonable - apart from the management fees (personally I would consider the accountancy/audit charges to be of no value whatsoever to leaseholders, and therefore...
              28-09-2020, 00:53 AM
            • management and maintenance costs for parking court
              by cooked
              sorry this may in the wrong forum but I could not see a forum title which was relevant
              my wife and I own (leasehold) two flats in a block of 3 flats
              each of the 3 flats has two parking spaces in a 30 space parking court
              in 2018, we became the RTM for the building but the parking court...
              25-09-2020, 22:30 PM
              by phatfish
              Hi Scot,

Thanks for the reply. Yes i worded that badly, all i meant was the lease has a provision that states that all leaseholders are responsible for an equal share of a service charge and i have no reason to believe one lease is different from another.

I did familiarize...
              27-09-2020, 20:52 PM
            • Reply to management and maintenance costs for parking court
              by cooked
              The fees charged to us for the parking court have risen slightly in the last few years and there was no reduction when we took over the management of the building.
              The management of the parking court remained with the original management company even though the management of the building itself...
              27-09-2020, 19:27 PM
              by scot22
              The Freeholder MUST abide by the lease and any leasehold ownership can be problematic. I doubt if you have to pay whatever is demanded. It would have to be expenditure justified by the lease and be reasonable.
              I suggest looking on the LEASE site where there is a wealth of information.
              27-09-2020, 18:25 PM
            • Responsibility of window frames
              by charlie8899
              Hello - I hope someone can help. I own a new build flat and have a faulty window that needs replacing. This will be quite costly and requires erecting scaffolding. I was surprised to hear from the building management company that windows are the responsibility of the leaseholder. This doesn't seem right...
              23-09-2020, 08:05 AM
            Working...
            X