Letting share of freehold flat to social housing tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting share of freehold flat to social housing tenants

We are a share of freehold building constituting 4 flats. The building is managed by us all owners as a limited company. As part of our lease only single households are allowed. We are 1 of the flats, and recently 1 of the owners of the flat adjacent to us has advised us that since he is having problems finding single household tenants, he wishes to reach out to our local council in order to let his property to social housing tenants. His flat is a large one with 4 bedrooms.
    Please don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against people living in social housing, but we would ideally like to keep the building private and have him let to private tenants. The owner of this flat does not care who he lets his property to, and we have had several problems with him/his tenants so far,including him making the flat a hmo when it's not allowed. This is a small building, with thin walls, wooden structures, and really not made for such lettings.

I was wondering if there is anything we can do to stop him letting to the council for social housing tenants? Anything in the lease?

Thank you for all your help and advice.

If, as a term of the lease, the flats must be occupied by single households, using it as an HMO or to let to an organisation sounds like a breach of the lease.
    The lease will probably contain the steps necessary to address this.

The lease or management company documentation should contain details of how the freeholder is able to act.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you for your response. very helpful. we have sorted the hmo bit as lease clearly does not allow it. but we were not sure about the part about letting to social housing tenants and how we can stop him from doing this.

Comment

Better not to allow the flat be rented to social housing tenants.

There is no control of the tenants who may be drug suppliers with customers getting fixed in the hall way. It damages the property values for the entire block.

Comment

Gordon999 thank you. fully agreed. although not sure how we can stop him from it. Will have a look at the lease again. Any pointers would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellam View Post
            Will have a look at the lease again. Any pointers would be helpful.
            The actual wording of any restrictions on use would be a good starting point

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tracing Freeholder
              by cjramona
              sadly not no. She’s freeholder in name only really. We insure and maintain the property ourselves. I’ve now tasked a company to try and trace her - she may have passed away I guess as she bought the fteehold in 1986. I renewed the lease in 2010 so it’s fine until 2155!...
              24-09-2020, 08:18 AM
            • Tracing Freeholder
              by cjramona
              Hi, I am new to the forum and sorry for jumping in but cannot find an answer that helps through the search function. I accepted an offer on my leasehold flat 2 months ago and I thought was close to exchange but the buyers solicitors are asking for my freeholder details. I renewed the lease in 2010...
              22-09-2020, 13:06 PM
            • Reply to S168
              by sgclacy
              When you make the application under Section 168 (4) the Tribunal will request that you notify any mortgagee who has an interest in the flat to which you are taking action against.

Needless to say the mortgagee will take the matter very seriously indeed and will appoint solicitors to protect...
              24-09-2020, 07:22 AM
            • S168
              by Anna1985
              How crazy would it be to apply to the tribunal as litigant in person to ask them to determine a breach of lease re property disrepair ( the responsibility is on leaseholders, not freeholder) ?

Opinions?
              Thanks...
              25-08-2019, 18:30 PM
            • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
              by charlie8899
              Thanks for all your replies. One last comment, would the fact the plan on my lease clearly excludes the windows as part of my demise be a factor? (see attached). The lease also states that service charge is to cover "the structure and exterior of the Building". Wouldn't windows be considered...
              24-09-2020, 07:00 AM
            • Responsibility of window frames
              by charlie8899
              Hello - I hope someone can help. I own a new build flat and have a faulty window that needs replacing. This will be quite costly and requires erecting scaffolding. I was surprised to hear from the building management company that windows are the responsibility of the leaseholder. This doesn't seem right...
              23-09-2020, 08:05 AM
            • Reply to S168
              by Anna1985
              I think I would be soon, although the application would be made in joint freeholder names
              23-09-2020, 18:58 PM
            • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
              by Anna1985
              Your windows should be covered by Fensa for 10 years, the window installer is under obligation to get them fixed Once Fensa confirms it is their cost. Oh the miracles that could happen when the installer knows they are responsible for all associated costs good luvk
              23-09-2020, 18:56 PM
            • Reply to RTM Company secretary
              by scot22
              Is he owed money ? Ask him for detailed proof.

Pay him ?
              23-09-2020, 17:40 PM
            • RTM Company secretary
              by Andrew Clark
              We wish to change the RTM Company Secretary from our legacy managing agent to our new managing agent, the legacy agent will not complete the online authentication code until he is paid what he says he is owed. Thoughts on ways around this
              23-09-2020, 08:02 AM
            Working...
            X