RMC question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RMC question

What, if any, responsibilities does a Director have to another lease holder?
    [ ie should they report on finances if asked. Where are their responsibilities to other leaseholders written?]

The RMC is a non-profit company which has responsibility to manage the block of flats to the standard set in the RICS Residential Management Code. The Directors should be appointed from the leaseholders.

Usually the RMC Directors appoints an external managing agent to do the day to day maintenance work according to the lease and to perform the duties under the lease, collect the service charge from leaseholders etc. Arrange annual meeting and listen to complaints from the leaseholders and resolve any issues.

Comment

Yes yes I know all that but,

What, if any, responsibilities does a Director have to another lease holder?
      [ ie should they report on finances if asked. Where are their responsibilities to other leaseholders written?]

ALSO

If a director suspects the managing agent of financial anomalies that he can't really explain and refuses to supply evidence of this expense, should the other directors be informed and updated?

Comment

RMC leaseholders would normally also be a shareholder in the RMC.

Directors must follow the RMC company articles of association as well as the general duties in the Companies Act such as acting with reasonable care, skill and diligence. If a shareholder believes there has been mismanagement or hiding of information this can be formerly raised at the AGM or in the case of serious mismanagement an EGM can be requested (although meetings are tricky at the moment obviously!).

If a management agent is involved presumably the "financial anomaly" has come out of the service charge pot(?). If so a leaseholder can request a summary of the service charge account (if not provided) then request the supporting documentation including invoices etc. There has been a recent thread on Section 22 of the LTA1985 or look at:

https://www.lease-advice.org/faq/how...eing-used-for/

Appreciate none of these formal routes are quick if a director is being deliberately uncooperative.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S168
          by Anna1985
          How crazy would it be to apply to the tribunal as litigant in person to ask them to determine a breach of lease re property disrepair ( the responsibility is on leaseholders, not freeholder) ?

Opinions?
          Thanks...
          25-08-2019, 18:30 PM
        • Reply to S168
          by sgclacy
          When you make the application under Section 168 (4) the Tribunal will request that you notify any mortgagee who has an interest in the flat to which you are taking action against.

Needless to say the mortgagee will take the matter very seriously indeed and will appoint solicitors to protect...
          24-09-2020, 07:22 AM
        • Responsibility of window frames
          by charlie8899
          Hello - I hope someone can help. I own a new build flat and have a faulty window that needs replacing. This will be quite costly and requires erecting scaffolding. I was surprised to hear from the building management company that windows are the responsibility of the leaseholder. This doesn't seem right...
          23-09-2020, 08:05 AM
        • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
          by charlie8899
          Thanks for all your replies. One last comment, would the fact the plan on my lease clearly excludes the windows as part of my demise be a factor? (see attached). The lease also states that service charge is to cover "the structure and exterior of the Building". Wouldn't windows be considered...
          24-09-2020, 07:00 AM
        • Reply to S168
          by Anna1985
          I think I would be soon, although the application would be made in joint freeholder names
          23-09-2020, 18:58 PM
        • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
          by Anna1985
          Your windows should be covered by Fensa for 10 years, the window installer is under obligation to get them fixed Once Fensa confirms it is their cost. Oh the miracles that could happen when the installer knows they are responsible for all associated costs good luvk
          23-09-2020, 18:56 PM
        • RTM Company secretary
          by Andrew Clark
          We wish to change the RTM Company Secretary from our legacy managing agent to our new managing agent, the legacy agent will not complete the online authentication code until he is paid what he says he is owed. Thoughts on ways around this
          23-09-2020, 08:02 AM
        • Reply to RTM Company secretary
          by scot22
          Is he owed money ? Ask him for detailed proof.

Pay him ?
          23-09-2020, 17:40 PM
        • Leaseholder refusing to complete repairs
          by batterseaboy
          Hi, we are a house divided into three flats. Each flat leasheolder also owns 1/3 of the freehold company and serves as a director.

When the top floor flat was given permission to extend his flat the variation stipulated that he would be solely responsible for any issues with the extension...
          23-09-2020, 16:43 PM
        • Reply to Leaseholder refusing to complete repairs
          by scot22
          Formally notify him that you believe that he is in breach of the lease and given him a time limit to complete repairs.

If he doesn't then his sale can be blocked.
          23-09-2020, 17:39 PM
        Working...
        X