Freeholder Roof Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder Roof Maintenance

Hello. My flat is rented out - it's a leasehold and managed by a management company on behalf of an investment company who are the freeholder. Recently, while undertaking some other works, the surveyor noticed that the roof was sagging. Further investigation with a structural engineer has revealed that the roof is in a poor condition and the managing agent has decided a whole new roof is required - rafters and all. The other leaseholders and I have no records of any kind of survey or maintenance taking place over the last ten years regarding the roof at all. Our leases quite clearly state that maintenance and upkeep of the roof and timbers is the responsibility of the freeholder. Is there a case to be made (in anyone's experience) that this lack of maintenance (neglect?) has resulted in this situation and therefore it could be worth taking to the tribunal to argue this? Roof sag does not happen over night. If spotted earlier, remedial action could have take place to avoid the huge cost of a new roof which we are now set to pay for? This is my first post - I'd be very grateful for any comments. Apologies if this is in the wrong section. Thanks.

Are owners working together ? If so commit to sharing the cost of disputing the charge.
    I think it essential to engage surveyor with leasehold knowledge to advise both on work and responsibility.
    It will cost so I suggest an escrow account to protect interests.

Comment

If I am not mistaken you are to have a new roof every 25 years? So it is worth bearing it in mind.

Comment

Our roof, Rosemary tiles, is 50 years old and no problems.
        Roof of 2nd property, about 100 years and now having phased replacement.
        Obviously it all depends on roof quality. Counter intuitive but probably the newer the worse condition.
        In younger years lived in a row of 150 year old cottages, no roof replacement or repairs and no problems. New cottages built and within a year needed 're roofing.
        Anecdotal yes but I think revealing.

Comment

Quite often roofs sag a bit due to slates being replaced with much heavier tiles. But usually you can get away with accepting the sag and just adding some extra support timbers in the loft to prevent it sagging any further. Does it really need a new roof?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
            by L4NDLORD
            If you have a solicitor ask him to download a copy of the lease from HM Land Registry, it will inform you of the rent payable etc. Costs about three quid, plus your solicitors time (ten minutes!)
            29-01-2022, 00:57 AM
          • 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
            by pt888
            A property recently came back onto the market for the reason being that the previous buyer was unable to lend money from his bank due to the lease only having 87 years remaining, the estate agent therefore said that going forward only cash-buyers would be considered. Out of those cash buyers i was selected....
            28-01-2022, 20:38 PM
          • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
            by L4NDLORD
            The city will probably insist you served notice and that they obtain a valuation for which you will almost certainly have to pay. Even so with 87 years unexpired its still not going to cost very much, a few thousand pounds. The solution to your question is to ask the seller to serve the notice on the...
            29-01-2022, 00:56 AM
          • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
            by L4NDLORD
            it is quite true that the professionals unnecessarily make a meal of this type of work. One of the planks of my submission to Professor Hophins was that the landlord's costs should be limited to 500 pounds. I also suggested that relativity be standardised nationally (accepting that there would be winners...
            29-01-2022, 00:51 AM
          • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
            by SouthernDave
            Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
            i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
            25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
          • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by sgclacy
            So the new lessee who wishes to challenge the proportion would have seen BEFORE he purchased the flat what percentage he was to pay - the unfairness of the bargain was patently clear BEFORE he purchased and may we’ll have been reflected in the price paid for the flat. So notwithstanding all of that...
            28-01-2022, 22:45 PM
          • Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
            by bigalxyz
            Director of RMC - 11 flats in London
            There seems to be a long standing problem with the plumbing in the bathroom of one of the flats. 4 water leaks in the last 18 months, causing damage to the flat below.

Is there anything the RMC can do to compel the leaseholder of the problem flat...
            28-01-2022, 16:05 PM
          • Reply to Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
            by bigalxyz
            There's no single cause - there have been multiple leaks - each time a different cause. Blocked bath overflow, leaking washing machine hose, leaking toilet cistern inlet, failed balloon valve in toilet, shower screen not fitted properly...all kinds of things. Just general neglect. Owner's never there,...
            28-01-2022, 22:32 PM
            by bigalxyz
            Thank you.

I plan to leaf through the lease at the weekend - there may well be clauses along the lines that you suggest (it does ring a bell). Also I do know that there's a clause along the lines of "leaseholders mustn't do anything to mess up the insurance of the building, and are...
            28-01-2022, 22:30 PM
            by Macromia
            What it says in the lease is mostly what you have to rely on. I would be looking for any clauses that the flat needs to be kept in a good state of repair, and in particular anything that mentions keeping the pipes that serve the flat in a good state of repair and replaced when necessary and anything...
            28-01-2022, 20:53 PM
          Working...
          X