Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct deed of Covenant

Hi there,
    I am a tenant freeholder in a Victorian property of 2 x maisonettes.
    The other freeholder has let his property under a local authority “private rental scheme” which includes a free of charge tenancy agreement.
    The problem arising from this is the tenancy agreement appears incongruous with the head lease, namely, no mention of illegal or immoral activity, which we have seen happening surreptitiously from his current tenant and/or their visitors.
    The head lease does state that where the property is under let in excess of 12 months (Landlord has disclosed 24 month agreement) the tenant will provide a direct deed of covenant with the freeholder to abide by the terms as stated in the head lease.
    Since this clearly has not happened, and the Landlord who lets his property has refused to disclose a copy of the tenancy agreement to me, can I take legal action, as one Leaseholder against the other, for a breach of lease?
    Every time I have tried to communicate with him regarding this matter he suggests I provide formal concrete evidence (which would implicate me to his tenant) whilst having already suggested I should be fearful of repercussions.
    The local authority have been incredibly unhelpful towards us, even suggesting that they don’t require any freeholder consent (in stark contrast to their online information) and have even claimed that there is no agreement between the Landlord and themselves! Having worked with a local authority for decades I know this would never be the case as their accounts are open to public scrutiny.
    Even the police, who have visited several times during this tenancy against never in the past 20+ years, are unwilling to take any action.

My main bone of contention is that this happened with his very first tenant (this is the twelfth) who was also a “council” tenant, so I believe he has been negligent by ensuring his property is let, against the interests of the other freeholder.

Should I get a solicitor to request a copy of the tenancy agreement or just go straight to the tribunal?
    He has refused to meet up to discuss this citing harassment!!

Advice greatly appreciated

Anyone able to respond on this matter? The tenancy is about to reach two years and if we don’t take action we believe that may be regarded as a waiver

Comment

Speak to a solicitor as disputes between freeholders can be complicated.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks JP
        i was really trying to get a handle on the breach of lease issue as the other freeholder is also a lessee so surely has to be bound by the covenants in the lease? I spoke with the gov dept (Lease) who declared it a stalemate but have read somewhere that the other freeholder can be added as a (defendant) party to proceedings if they refuse to cooperate. My concern is that by not taking action it could be deemed an effective breach waiver although a new tenancy should give rise to a new cause of action. The original solicitor who drew up the deed of variation (both leases were extended when we purchased freehold) has sadly passed away and we subsequently discovered was also under investigation for malpractice which doesn’t help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Right to Manage Costs
          by Pariah81
          Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
          21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
        • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
          by sgclacy
          Reminds me of a riddle from the book by Feldman and Spratt - Five Frogs on a log

Five frogs are sitting on a log.
          Four decide to jump off. How many are left?
          Answer: Five
          Why?
          Because there's a difference between deciding and doing....
          23-09-2021, 20:14 PM
          by Gordon999
          Yes , many years ago I was organiser to buy the freehold , some leaseholders agreed to participate but when the time came to pay their share of the purchase funds, they dropped out.....
          23-09-2021, 19:50 PM
          by lampshade
          ERMmmm....it would be very interesting especially as our Freeholder, who owned the company that Managed the building gave the contract to another fringe company, and the fees doubled to £10k pa....and if 12 of us leave that will cause fee problems for the remaining 2 flats, but not our problem....will...
          23-09-2021, 17:50 PM
          by Section20z
          Yes, you should be able to. We did something similar for one of two blocks with same name just different flat numbers. First step is to get 6+ owners to take part and form a company to serve the notice. A reluctant freeholder will fight every step so you may need professional help to get it right....
          23-09-2021, 17:35 PM
          by lampshade
          Interesting....I have one lease in a total of 3 blocks totalling 34 flats. All managed under one managing agent appointed by the FH.
          But each block, whilst seemingly are all connected there are 3 separate blocks of about 11 flats in each. Each block has both front and back entrance, and unique...
          23-09-2021, 15:29 PM
        • Reply to Reasonable solicitor fees?
          by eagle2
          You can insist on a summarised time record showing the number of hours spent by each grade of solicitor on the different aspects of the work involved. You can then compare it with your own solicitor's time records in order to raise a specific complaint.

Intead though, I suggest that you...
          23-09-2021, 14:42 PM
        • Reasonable solicitor fees?
          by LizLease
          After six long and tedious months of negotiations to extend the lase on a flat, we are nearing completion and I have been sent the final balance.

I was shocked to be presented with a £2,700 bill for the freeholder's solicitor fees. When I first inquired about renewing the lease, the freeholder...
          21-09-2021, 17:17 PM
        • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
          by sgclacy
          Does that include the surveyor fee ?...
          23-09-2021, 14:36 PM
        • Negotiating a lease extension
          by LizLease
          Hi all, I am new to the forum.
          I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
          I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
          I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
          21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
        Working...
        X