Purchasing Share of Freehold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing Share of Freehold

I currently own a leasehold flat and I would like to buy share of freehold and would like some advice about how much this would cost (excluding legal fees). The building is a conversion and contains two flats with the other flat belonging to the freeholder. The flat is worth £450k. There is 147 years left on the lease. There is no ground rent and no services charges. We split any insurance and maintenance equally. I have lived in the property for 5 years.

There is no compulsory purchase for one flat in a building containing only 2 flats.

Since there is no ground rent , make an offer at say £4500 for half share .

Comment

Thank you Gordon. What does “no compulsory purchase” mean? If the freeholder refuses, how do I attain the value of the share of freehold.

Comment

You have a leasehold flat with no right to buy the freehold. If the freeholder doesn't want to sell then you can't buy it.

Comment

See last sentence in section 2.

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...tting-started/

Comment

Thanks Gordon. I’m not sure how the last sentence from section 2 applies in our case, as the other flat owner and the freeholder are the same person.

Comment

Basically you could make an offer but the freeholder could refuse it.

I would check the land registry for the last freehold sale just to have in mind the figure paid by freeholder.

And I take it the lease was extended before sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom-watts View Post
                Thanks Gordon. I’m not sure how the last sentence from section 2 applies in our case, as the other flat owner and the freeholder are the same person.
                It means you have no legal right under the legislation to compel the existing freeholder to sell half share to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post

It means you have no legal right under the legislation to compel the existing freeholder to sell half share to you.
                  Agreed. If the freeholder does not want to sell you a share of the freehold then that is the end of the matter. You cannot force the issue.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. If the freeholder ever decided to sell the freehold, would we have first refusal to buy it?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S168
                      by sgclacy
                      When you make the application under Section 168 (4) the Tribunal will request that you notify any mortgagee who has an interest in the flat to which you are taking action against.

Needless to say the mortgagee will take the matter very seriously indeed and will appoint solicitors to protect...
                      24-09-2020, 07:22 AM
                    • S168
                      by Anna1985
                      How crazy would it be to apply to the tribunal as litigant in person to ask them to determine a breach of lease re property disrepair ( the responsibility is on leaseholders, not freeholder) ?

Opinions?
                      Thanks...
                      25-08-2019, 18:30 PM
                    • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
                      by charlie8899
                      Thanks for all your replies. One last comment, would the fact the plan on my lease clearly excludes the windows as part of my demise be a factor? (see attached). The lease also states that service charge is to cover "the structure and exterior of the Building". Wouldn't windows be considered...
                      24-09-2020, 07:00 AM
                    • Responsibility of window frames
                      by charlie8899
                      Hello - I hope someone can help. I own a new build flat and have a faulty window that needs replacing. This will be quite costly and requires erecting scaffolding. I was surprised to hear from the building management company that windows are the responsibility of the leaseholder. This doesn't seem right...
                      23-09-2020, 08:05 AM
                    • Reply to S168
                      by Anna1985
                      I think I would be soon, although the application would be made in joint freeholder names
                      23-09-2020, 18:58 PM
                    • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
                      by Anna1985
                      Your windows should be covered by Fensa for 10 years, the window installer is under obligation to get them fixed Once Fensa confirms it is their cost. Oh the miracles that could happen when the installer knows they are responsible for all associated costs good luvk
                      23-09-2020, 18:56 PM
                    • Reply to RTM Company secretary
                      by scot22
                      Is he owed money ? Ask him for detailed proof.

Pay him ?
                      23-09-2020, 17:40 PM
                    • RTM Company secretary
                      by Andrew Clark
                      We wish to change the RTM Company Secretary from our legacy managing agent to our new managing agent, the legacy agent will not complete the online authentication code until he is paid what he says he is owed. Thoughts on ways around this
                      23-09-2020, 08:02 AM
                    • Leaseholder refusing to complete repairs
                      by batterseaboy
                      Hi, we are a house divided into three flats. Each flat leasheolder also owns 1/3 of the freehold company and serves as a director.

When the top floor flat was given permission to extend his flat the variation stipulated that he would be solely responsible for any issues with the extension...
                      23-09-2020, 16:43 PM
                    • Reply to Leaseholder refusing to complete repairs
                      by scot22
                      Formally notify him that you believe that he is in breach of the lease and given him a time limit to complete repairs.

If he doesn't then his sale can be blocked.
                      23-09-2020, 17:39 PM
                    Working...
                    X