Purchasing Share of Freehold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing Share of Freehold

I currently own a leasehold flat and I would like to buy share of freehold and would like some advice about how much this would cost (excluding legal fees). The building is a conversion and contains two flats with the other flat belonging to the freeholder. The flat is worth £450k. There is 147 years left on the lease. There is no ground rent and no services charges. We split any insurance and maintenance equally. I have lived in the property for 5 years.

There is no compulsory purchase for one flat in a building containing only 2 flats.

Since there is no ground rent , make an offer at say £4500 for half share .

Comment

Thank you Gordon. What does “no compulsory purchase” mean? If the freeholder refuses, how do I attain the value of the share of freehold.

Comment

You have a leasehold flat with no right to buy the freehold. If the freeholder doesn't want to sell then you can't buy it.

Comment

See last sentence in section 2.

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...tting-started/

Comment

Thanks Gordon. I’m not sure how the last sentence from section 2 applies in our case, as the other flat owner and the freeholder are the same person.

Comment

Basically you could make an offer but the freeholder could refuse it.

I would check the land registry for the last freehold sale just to have in mind the figure paid by freeholder.

And I take it the lease was extended before sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom-watts View Post
                Thanks Gordon. I’m not sure how the last sentence from section 2 applies in our case, as the other flat owner and the freeholder are the same person.
                It means you have no legal right under the legislation to compel the existing freeholder to sell half share to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post

It means you have no legal right under the legislation to compel the existing freeholder to sell half share to you.
                  Agreed. If the freeholder does not want to sell you a share of the freehold then that is the end of the matter. You cannot force the issue.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. If the freeholder ever decided to sell the freehold, would we have first refusal to buy it?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Responsibility of window frames
                      by charlie8899
                      Hello - I hope someone can help. I own a new build flat and have a faulty window that needs replacing. This will be quite costly and requires erecting scaffolding. I was surprised to hear from the building management company that windows are the responsibility of the leaseholder. This doesn't seem right...
                      23-09-2020, 08:05 AM
                    • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
                      by paulamis
                      When you say new build, is it new enough to still be under warranty. New house typically get 2 years from developer. And not sure if flats get it but usually 10 year warranty against serious issues.
                      23-09-2020, 09:01 AM
                    • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
                      by JK0
                      What does your lease say on the subject? (Reproduce relevant part here.)
                      23-09-2020, 08:09 AM
                    • Reply to Rats
                      by gnvqsos
                      Rats were brought by man on merchant vessels.Now man carelessly discards food and propogates the same rodents.Why should the council deal with this problem,when the causes can be identified and the culprits fined?Better to tax cheap nasty take away food,making men and vermin as fat as f......
                      22-09-2020, 20:03 PM
                    • Rats
                      by ETB
                      I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
                      21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
                    • Tracing Freeholder
                      by cjramona
                      Hi, I am new to the forum and sorry for jumping in but cannot find an answer that helps through the search function. I accepted an offer on my leasehold flat 2 months ago and I thought was close to exchange but the buyers solicitors are asking for my freeholder details. I renewed the lease in 2010...
                      22-09-2020, 13:06 PM
                    • Reply to Tracing Freeholder
                      by flyingfreehold
                      The freehold must be registered, I suppose no reply from the address on the register?
                      22-09-2020, 18:46 PM
                    • Door Entry System Upgrade
                      by blipper
                      Hi
                      I'm the lessee of a flat in a 6 flat block.
                      Although there is a main door intercom connected to each flat, when residents answer they cannot buzz open the main door but have to open it manually. This system was put in place many years ago for security purposes after a spate of break-ins...
                      21-09-2020, 15:36 PM
                    • Reply to Door Entry System Upgrade
                      by blipper
                      Thank you for your replies which give me food for thought.
                      Actually there are 3 floors and my flat occupies the third floor so I am the most inconvenienced by the present arrangement but don't mind as being a reclusive kind of person don't get a lot of people ringing my bell anyway!...
                      22-09-2020, 17:58 PM
                    • Reply to Door Entry System Upgrade
                      by scot22
                      Fair point andy. Could of course be 3 on 2 levels. I commented without relevant facts.
                      22-09-2020, 16:59 PM
                    Working...
                    X