Freeholder in Administration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder in Administration

I am representing a group of investors in a property where the developer/freeholder has gone into administration. Two questions - does the administrator now technically own the freehold? and can they demand payment for repairs to the building that the freeholder should have carried out in order to protect their insurance. Would really appreciate the advice. Many thanks

You can check online at Land Registry website for the name of current freeholder of your building. You may have to pay £3 by credit card to download. Also check the listing of company at Companies House website.

Comment

When a company that owns a freehold has been dissolved, its assets, including the freehold pass to the Crown. This means that the original freehold ceases to exist and a new form of freehold of the building reverts back to the Crown, but without any obligations, such as to manage, maintain and insure etc

You should try and contact the administrators to see if you can collectively (all leaseholders) can purchase the freehold.

Comment

Does the dissolved Company still have any liability connected to the Freehold of the building, e.g any court order, or does it simply cease to exist ?

Comment

A dissolved company ceases to exist after the administrator has transferred the assets to the Crown. .

Comment

Thanks Gordon, so presumably nobody could claim any money from it because it no longer exists nor is any liability attached to a new freeholder ?

Comment

If OP is investor in the freehold company, then all is lost.

If OP is leaseholder in the property, there may be a chance to buy the freehold title from the Crown.

Comment

Thanks. I expect that how Companies avoid guarantee issues.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tracing Freeholder
                  by cjramona
                  Hi, I am new to the forum and sorry for jumping in but cannot find an answer that helps through the search function. I accepted an offer on my leasehold flat 2 months ago and I thought was close to exchange but the buyers solicitors are asking for my freeholder details. I renewed the lease in 2010...
                  22-09-2020, 13:06 PM
                • Reply to Tracing Freeholder
                  by cjramona
                  sadly not no. She’s freeholder in name only really. We insure and maintain the property ourselves. I’ve now tasked a company to try and trace her - she may have passed away I guess as she bought the fteehold in 1986. I renewed the lease in 2010 so it’s fine until 2155!...
                  24-09-2020, 08:18 AM
                • Reply to S168
                  by sgclacy
                  When you make the application under Section 168 (4) the Tribunal will request that you notify any mortgagee who has an interest in the flat to which you are taking action against.

Needless to say the mortgagee will take the matter very seriously indeed and will appoint solicitors to protect...
                  24-09-2020, 07:22 AM
                • S168
                  by Anna1985
                  How crazy would it be to apply to the tribunal as litigant in person to ask them to determine a breach of lease re property disrepair ( the responsibility is on leaseholders, not freeholder) ?

Opinions?
                  Thanks...
                  25-08-2019, 18:30 PM
                • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
                  by charlie8899
                  Thanks for all your replies. One last comment, would the fact the plan on my lease clearly excludes the windows as part of my demise be a factor? (see attached). The lease also states that service charge is to cover "the structure and exterior of the Building". Wouldn't windows be considered...
                  24-09-2020, 07:00 AM
                • Responsibility of window frames
                  by charlie8899
                  Hello - I hope someone can help. I own a new build flat and have a faulty window that needs replacing. This will be quite costly and requires erecting scaffolding. I was surprised to hear from the building management company that windows are the responsibility of the leaseholder. This doesn't seem right...
                  23-09-2020, 08:05 AM
                • Reply to S168
                  by Anna1985
                  I think I would be soon, although the application would be made in joint freeholder names
                  23-09-2020, 18:58 PM
                • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
                  by Anna1985
                  Your windows should be covered by Fensa for 10 years, the window installer is under obligation to get them fixed Once Fensa confirms it is their cost. Oh the miracles that could happen when the installer knows they are responsible for all associated costs good luvk
                  23-09-2020, 18:56 PM
                • Reply to RTM Company secretary
                  by scot22
                  Is he owed money ? Ask him for detailed proof.

Pay him ?
                  23-09-2020, 17:40 PM
                • RTM Company secretary
                  by Andrew Clark
                  We wish to change the RTM Company Secretary from our legacy managing agent to our new managing agent, the legacy agent will not complete the online authentication code until he is paid what he says he is owed. Thoughts on ways around this
                  23-09-2020, 08:02 AM
                Working...
                X