Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Share of Freehold - Roof Terrace Repair Cost Responsibility

Hi All,
    I own a share of freehold, Flat 1 in London, UK.

House=
    Flat 1: Ground Floor
    Flat 2: First Floor + Second Floor

The neighbours (Flat 2) now has a leak in their roof Terrance (which does not belong to me nor I have access to use either).

They are requesting me to pay 50% of the repairs (as we are 50/50 share of freehold)

Is the roof Terrace consider as part of the house structure?
    This is definitely not a 'common part'.

Thank you for your suggestions.
    Anton

The answer (hopefully) will lie in your lease. You have to look at the landlord's repairing obligations to see what the landlord has to repair. Then you look at the service charge provisions for confirmation that you have to pay a percentage of the cost incurred by the landlord in carrying out the repairs. If the obligations refer to terms defined such as "Building", "Structure", "Exterior" or "Common Parts" you have to go by the definitions in the lease and not in any dictionary.

Comment

Thanks for your quick response.

I have checked the lease contract (as part of my share of freehold):
      "Building" = the address of the house
      "Structure" = nothing
      "Exterior" = nothing
      "Common Parts" = external paths, driveways, yard, garden, and refuse are at the building, that are not part of the property or the flats, and which are intended to be used by the tenants and occupiers of the building as shown in yellow in the plan [please note the roof terrace is not shown in yellow in the plan of the leasehold]
      "Retained parts" = main structure of the building including roof and roof structures, the foundations, the external walls and the internal load bearing walls , structural timbers, joints, guttering, and the structure of the balconies including any balconies railings or walls (if any) .
      All parts of the building lying below the floor surface or above the ceilings
      Common parts.
      All boundary wall fences and railings of the building.

As you can see in the retained parts, there is 'some ' mentioned on the 'roof and roof structures' - is the roof terrace considered a 'roof structure'?

Thank you,
      A

Comment

A bit tricky.

I assume that the service charge provisions require you to contribute to the cost of maintaining the Retained Parts.

I would interpret "roof structures" to be the parts which hold the roof up.

Before we consider whether there is an argument that the roof terrace is not part of the main structure of the building, I think it would be helpful to know if the lease of the ground floor flat specifically includes the roof terrace or otherwise mentions it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
          A bit tricky.

I assume that the service charge provisions require you to contribute to the cost of maintaining the Retained Parts.

I would interpret "roof structures" to be the parts which hold the roof up.

Before we consider whether there is an argument that the roof terrace is not part of the main structure of the building, I think it would be helpful to know if the lease of the ground floor flat specifically includes the roof terrace or otherwise mentions it.
          --> It does not mention that at all in my (ground) lease

Comment

Originally posted by sushilover View Post

--> It does not mention that at all in my (ground) lease
            But does it mention it in the ground floor flat lease?

Comment

Assuming any leak in their terrace will impact you more than them, you might be advised to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
                Assuming any leak in their terrace will impact you more than them, you might be advised to pay.
                I am in the ground floor = Flat 1

House=

The Roof terrace is located in the Second Floor.

How does the leak in the second floor impact me more than then? When it leaks, it goes to their first floors. (I am in the ground floor).

Thanks, A

Comment

But does it mention it in the ground floor flat lease?
                  In the ground floor lease there is no mention about the roof terrace - plus this is not a 'common area' aka, I don't have any access to their roof terrace (which is located in the second floor).

House=

thanks,
                  A

Comment

You need to get hold of a copy of their lease (you should be able to purchase this from the land registry for about £7 - but make sure you do this via the government site, not the numerous sites that sell you the same for 3x the price), and check the details in both your lease and their lease.

Whether or not you are responsible for paying a contribution to the cost of the repairs, and if so how much, should be covered by the detail in the clauses.
                    It seems unlikely that you would need to pay 50% if they have a flat 2x the size of yours, but it is possible.
                    The fact that leaks in the roof don't immediately affect your property doesn't mean that you won't be responsible for contributing to the cost (roofs are typically considered to be a part of the main structure of a building and are usually therefore a communal cost).

Comment

Originally posted by sushilover View Post
                      I am in the ground floor = Flat 1
                      Oops! Even though you clearly state the contrary, for some reason I got the idea into my head that you owned the other flat. What does the lease of the other flat say about the roof terrace? Is it included in the demise or are they granted rights over it? Do they have access to it? Do they use it and if so how?

Comment

Oops! Even though you clearly state the contrary, for some reason I got the idea into my head that you owned the other flat. What does the lease of the other flat say about the roof terrace? Is it included in the demise or are they granted rights over it? Do they have access to it? Do they use it and if so how?
                        It doesn't say anything about the 'roof terrance' specifically. It only talks about the roof and the main structure of the building, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Macromia View Post
                          You need to get hold of a copy of their lease (you should be able to purchase this from the land registry for about £7 - but make sure you do this via the government site, not the numerous sites that sell you the same for 3x the price), and check the details in both your lease and their lease.

Whether or not you are responsible for paying a contribution to the cost of the repairs, and if so how much, should be covered by the detail in the clauses.
                          It seems unlikely that you would need to pay 50% if they have a flat 2x the size of yours, but it is possible.
                          The fact that leaks in the roof don't immediately affect your property doesn't mean that you won't be responsible for contributing to the cost (roofs are typically considered to be a part of the main structure of a building and are usually therefore a communal cost).
                          I agree that I should NOT pay 50% given that my property is so much smaller, however this is a 'mistake' (using a very polity term here) of my solicitors when they draft the lease while I was purchasing the property. Unfortunately, there is no way back on that, and I have 50% of the share of the leasehold and my neighbours have the remaining 50% of the share of freehold.

As for the ROOF TERRACE, I see your point - it does not affect me directly, however I strongly believe it is blur/border line, i.e. in the lease (I was told that my lease is very vague in a lot of things .... which is very frustrating as I paid a large amount of money to my solicitor to help me with the whole house buying process..).
                          One of the things which is not 100% clarified is the ROOF TERRACE, it can be considered the 'main structure' of the building/house as you mentioned, but on the other hand you can also argue that given this is not a common area, and that they did the surveys when they move in and didn't spot that, I should not be paying the cost of the ROOF terrace repair.

I feel you can argue this both aways.

Additionally, the owners of the other 50% of the share of freehold want to move out in 12-18 months time (sell the property) as they now have a baby and obviously want to up size.

Comment

I think there is a confusion about being freeholder and leaseholder.

get the upstairs lease and check what does it say about repairing obligations.

If it is an extension, your co freeholder is benefiting from extra space and he should pay more - which would be reflected in the lease.

Comment

The roof terrace is still a part of the roof. Without inspection of your leases and given what you have said I think you need to pay 50%. Of course if the roof terrace is 'unofficial' as in just a flat roof they are using not iaw the lease then you should argue that they repair if it has been damaged through their use.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
                                by fos333
                                This is the important question, what are the reasons for non payment?

Have demands been correctly served including the correct summaries of rights and obligations?

Are the landlord obligations under the lease being carried out?

Have service charge end of year accounts...
                                17-05-2022, 21:48 PM
                              • RTM director service charge arrears
                                by ARG
                                Hello, I am new here so please excuse me if this question has already been asked, but a search has drawn a blank.

I am a director of an RTM of a property with 25 flats. I would be very grateful if anyone here can advise whether a resident who is more than six months in arrears with his...
                                17-05-2022, 15:38 PM
                              • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                                by vmart
                                Is there a restrictive covenant in the title of the commercial-property owner (CPO) giving you and the other lessee a right of way over the land?

Is the CPO a freeholder or leaseholder of the land?

With regard to the point related to '20 years' you are referring to adverse...
                                17-05-2022, 21:06 PM
                              • Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                                by Tony-Edwards
                                Hello

I could do with some guidance if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a 100 year old flat that was split from a larger building in 2000 and has a 999 year lease, it is next door to a commercial premises.

The only way to get to my flat is across their...
                                17-05-2022, 14:40 PM
                              • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
                                by vmart
                                The RTM can make a money claim online but as this enquiry concerns service charges the lessee will have the right to have the service charges determined unless already agreed. Depending upon the lessee's response to the claim, the County Court may refer the claim to the FTT.

What are the...
                                17-05-2022, 20:54 PM
                              • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                                by Ldawg
                                Thanks for your response.

All costs are being covered by the management company. So currently I'm not actually losing out so I'm not really sure what I'm claiming for! More just the stress of it all. And the potential loss of earning and making unrentable/saleable as you say. Yes the floor...
                                17-05-2022, 20:22 PM
                              • Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                                by Ldawg
                                The flat I rent out has suffered from recurrent leaks from upstairs since I purchased it, 4 leaks in 4 years. It's caused me to lose one tenant already. I feel like there is no incentive for the owner upstairs to sort the problem (check the plumbing etc) as the cost is always covered by insurance and...
                                24-01-2022, 19:48 PM
                              • Reply to Lease Extension - Relativity
                                by comm1985
                                I for one would appreciate a more stable approach in deriving the premium...

In this instance what would

1. The sensible premium be?

A)£32000 (based on the value the actual short lease was just sold for i.e Relativity 65%)
                                or
                                B)£20,000 (based on graph...
                                17-05-2022, 20:19 PM
                              • Lease Extension - Relativity
                                by comm1985
                                Hoping to get some clarification,

If a flat (Outside Greater London) with 60 years left is sold for £110,000 and comparable properties with longer leases attain £160,000

What is the relativity in this case?

Would it be £110000 less 5.5% (to estimate for no act...
                                17-05-2022, 15:12 PM
                              • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                                by Hudson01
                                Are the management company paying for all the damage via the blocks buildings insurance or is this down to you ? Given how long it has gone on i think you will need to take individual legal action against the landlord of the flat above, what else is there is they have no incentive to fix anything. ...
                                17-05-2022, 20:08 PM
                              Working...
                              X